“Upward” GPA Trend Effect on Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TabbyTuxy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m applying this cycle (my primaries are already in to several schools, waiting for MCAT scores next week before adding more) and was wanting some input in how my GPA will be viewed.
cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.6 roughly
My freshman year, I took very, very few science courses and earned a 3.92 for the year in what was mainly social sciences, humanities, and some math. My sophomore year I was only in science courses and really struggled, with a 3.3 my first semester and 3.4 my second. However, my subject grades improved a bit — my organic chemistry grade increased an entire letter from term to term, though my physics grades dropped slightly in the second term. My junior year, I earned a 3.70 each semester, with many science courses such as biochem, physical chem, and physiology, but also some language and social sciences which led to better balance.

TLDR: 3.9 freshman year with minimal sciences, 3.35 sophomore year with exclusively sciences, and 3.7 junior year with a healthy mix.
My junior year GPA is still a lot lower than freshman. Will this be viewed as a downward trend, upward, or not given too much thought? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.