MD ►► What are my chances? ◄◄ I'm so desperate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at crossroads and have to make decisions regarding what I need to do so I really do appreciate all your input and honest comments.

*** CANADIAN resident

GPA: 4.0/4.0
MCAT: 13/8/11
EC: I think above average (mentorship, leadership, volunteering, research, publication, shadowing etc) but nothing mind blowing - and consider the fact that I had a gap year too.

I'm going to apply the day AMCAS opens next year.

What are my chances to any MD schools as a Canadian with the stats above?

I'm planning to re-write MCAT in January to bring up VR to at least a 9.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances at Canadian schools are low with that MCAT at the moment, not to mention you'll be screened out of most of them without a 10/10/10 across the board.

Chances at Canadian schools are low with that MCAT at the moment, not to mention you'll be screened out of most of them without a 10/10/10 across the board.

Yes, that's why I'm looking into US schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that's why I'm looking into US schools.
With that, hmm. You're an international student with a 32 MCAT and average EC's. You'll find a bit of difficulty there. Apply new MD, and apply broadly.

With that, hmm. You're an international student with a 32 MCAT and average EC's. You'll find a bit of difficulty there. Apply new MD, and apply broadly.

Thanks for your input. How do you think I can best improve my chances? What MCAT score should I be aiming at when retaking?

My GPA is as high as it could be and can't make any significant changes to my CV (I might be able to get authorship on 1-2 papers until next year) and I will be applying early.

Thanks for your input. How do you think I can best improve my chances? What MCAT score should I be aiming at when retaking?

My GPA is as high as it could be and can't make any significant changes to my CV (I might be able to get authorship on 1-2 papers until next year) and I will be applying early.
The GPA is quite good, the primary issue just happens to be international applicants have a bit harder time. Typically you want to be 2-3 points above the schools average when applying as an international student (I'd consider this a minimum). A 35-36 would help incredibly, but on that vein, you could also apply to Canadian schools with that. That said, you can apply MD with your stats as they are, you may just not have the best of luck at top programs (simply due to being international and having average stats at those institutions)

The GPA is quite good, the primary issue just happens to be international applicants have a bit harder time. Typically you want to be 2-3 points above the schools average when applying as an international student (I'd consider this a minimum). A 35-36 would help incredibly, but on that vein, you could also apply to Canadian schools with that. That said, you can apply MD with your stats as they are, you may just not have the best of luck at top programs (simply due to being international and having average stats at those institutions)

Thanks Boolean. Do you think w/ my current stats and a slightly higher MCAT (33-34) I have a chance at mid-tier / low-tier schools?

Thanks Boolean. Do you think w/ my current stats and a slightly higher MCAT (33-34) I have a chance at mid-tier / low-tier schools?
I don't see why not. You should stand a decent chance. As a fellow Canadian (thankfully naturalized by the time application season comes around), I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why not. You should stand a decent chance. As a fellow Canadian (thankfully naturalized by the time application season comes around), I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks man !! I really appreciate it

OP, you might already know this, but Penn State, George Washington, Albert Einstein, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Yale all view Canadian citizens the same way as U.S. citizens. I think there are some others, too. Do a little research. With your GPA, and your solid MCAT I really feel you don't have to retake it...but it's up to you, you know your options better than I do. IMO you would have a decent shot at the schools above (maybe not einstein or yale, but still)...

OP, you might already know this, but Penn State, George Washington, Albert Einstein, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Yale all view Canadian citizens the same way as U.S. citizens. I think there are some others, too. Do a little research. With your GPA, and your solid MCAT I really feel you don't have to retake it...but it's up to you, you know your options better than I do. IMO you would have a decent shot at the schools above (maybe not einstein or yale, but still)...

I actually didn't know that - thanks man !!

Besides those schools, do you think I have a shot at the other schools if I apply early next year?

Glad to be of help - my source is http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/Applicants/canada.html. If you do a little more research, and scouring of the MSAR I bet you would find a great list of schools.

It just seems that you have a strong MCAT (With great science scores to boot), and it would suck if you took it again and it went down. So there's risk to that option. However, scoring higher would (obviously) widen your range. Up to you if the risk outweighs the benefit...

And applying early is a MUST. get your LORs now, start getting your **** together as soon as you can, will make it that much easier to send that AMCAS as early as possible

Glad to be of help - my source is http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/Applicants/canada.html. If you do a little more research, and scouring of the MSAR I bet you would find a great list of schools.

It just seems that you have a strong MCAT (With great science scores to boot), and it would suck if you took it again and it went down. So there's risk to that option. However, scoring higher would (obviously) widen your range. Up to you if the risk outweighs the benefit...

And applying early is a MUST. get your LORs now, start getting your **** together as soon as you can, will make it that much easier to send that AMCAS as early as possible

thanks man you're awesome

Anyone else would be willing to provide some feedback ? :)

Anyone else would be willing to provide some feedback ? :)

I would echo what benajmin1us said. I would not retake the MCAT. A 32 is very solid and a different of 1-2 points is not statistically significant. The worry is retaking it and scoring lower. Despite the fact that you would be an international candidate there are schools who consider your application like any other US graduate. I would do thorough research on this, even call programs to find out.

Do something meaningful during your gap year. Doesn't necessarily have to be medically related (unless there are areas in your ECs you feel are lacking. I would be happy to take a look and give you suggestions if you want, just PM me). And apply broadly and EARLY. Be ready the day that AMCAS application opens. I think you should be fine.

Last edited:
I would echo what benajmin1us said. I would not retake the MCAT. A 32 is very solid and a different of 1-2 points is not statistically significant. The worry is retaking it and scoring lower. Despite the fact that you would be an international candidate there are schools who consider your application like any other US graduate. I would do thorough research on this, even call programs to find out.

Do something meaningful during your gap year. Doesn't necessarily have to be medically related (unless there are areas in your ECs you feel are lacking. I would be happy to take a look and give you suggestions if you want, just PM me *coughADCOMcough*). And apply broadly and EARLY. Be ready the day that AMCAS application opens. I think you should be fine.

Thank you DrPerrla. I will PM you :) thanks

Do something meaningful during your gap year. Doesn't necessarily have to be medically related (unless there are areas in your ECs you feel are lacking. I would be happy to take a look and give you suggestions if you want, just PM me). And apply broadly and EARLY. Be ready the day that AMCAS application opens. I think you should be fine.

Solid advice.

Agree with the above OP.

Solid advice.

Agree with the above OP.

Thank you alpinism and all for your great advice.

The reason I'm planning to retake is to bring up my VR score, even if it means by only 1 point, so that I can apply to a few Canadian schools as well and try my luck here too. I'm fairly confident that my science scores won't go down but as you said, it can happen. With an 8, I pretty much have a zero chance in Canada but with a 9, there is a slight hope..

Let's be optimistic and say that I go from a 13/8/11 to a 13/9/12. This would open up 1 more school in Canada and increase my chances in another one. Would this hurt in the US? (considering i'm retaking and not getting a huge improvement?)

Yes, I will be dedicating another 2.5 months of my life and running a huge risk here, but then I feel like I'm not ready to accept the fact that I have a zero chance here in Canada.

Retaking with a 1 pt improvement won't hurt.

The big concern would be that you could retake and get the same score or lower, while with your current score you have a good shot at US MD programs.

However, if you're consistently scoring 10s or higher on VR with practice tests, you should get at least a 9 on the real thing.

Ultimately, its your own decision.

Honestly, OP, if you're that dedicated enough to do it, and you believe in yourself, then retake. Just keep in mind that it's risky, and use that rationale to prep even harder. I never scored below 10 on VR, on test day I got an 8. And it wasn't nerves, it was just the fact that VR can be unpredictable. (to be fair I didn't prep VR much at all - my practice scores were 10-11 across the board so i felt no need to practice much).

make sure that you still prep hard on PS & BS, too. Good luck!!

Retaking with a 1 pt improvement won't hurt.

The big concern would be that you could retake and get the same score or lower, while with your current score you have a good shot at US MD programs.

However, if you're consistently scoring 10s or higher on VR with practice tests, you should get at least a 9 on the real thing.

Ultimately, its your own decision.

Honestly, OP, if you're that dedicated enough to do it, and you believe in yourself, then retake. Just keep in mind that it's risky, and use that rationale to prep even harder. I never scored below 10 on VR, on test day I got an 8. And it wasn't nerves, it was just the fact that VR can be unpredictable. (to be fair I didn't prep VR much at all - my practice scores were 10-11 across the board so i felt no need to practice much).

make sure that you still prep hard on PS & BS, too. Good luck!!

I do agree with both of you guys here.. there are risks involved.. but then again, it's just difficult for me to just give up on Canadian schools..

I guess all I can do is to prep really hard, spend my time and energy mainly on verbal, and if things don't go well, just void..

thanks you guys are wonderful