00 Gauge Ear Plugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katatonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a few years out of undergrad now and I want to remove my earrings (00 gauge tunnels) as I pursue med school now. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with elective surgery to repair them, because unfortunately I think they look just as unprofessional/ugly when the "close up". I suppose it's an option to just take them out and let them be, but I'd prefer to have them appear healed and normal by the time potential interviews start (not to mention volunteering and shadowing).

I'm sure others have had to deal with removing piercings for the med school process, but have any of you repaired them?

Members don't see this ad.

If I want the surgery done I will, obviously. What I'm asking is if others have dealt with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a few years out of undergrad now and I want to remove my earrings (00 gauge tunnels) as I pursue med school now. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with elective surgery to repair them, because unfortunately I think they look just as unprofessional/ugly when the "close up". I suppose it's an option to just take them out and let them be, but I'd prefer to have them appear healed and normal by the time potential interviews start (not to mention volunteering and shadowing).

I'm sure others have had to deal with removing piercings for the med school process, but have any of you repaired them?
I had the surgery done about 1.5 ago. I would recommend it 100%, people treat me very differently post-op. My father is a Gyno and called in a favor from a friend to have them sewn up. However, looking back I would have totally worked to pay out of pocket.

http://www.jobananas.com/hider-plug-for-stretched-ear-lobe-skin-tone.html

Another option if you don't have the dough right now...and if you're white, sorry! It's not perfect, but they're compatible with regular piercings, so if you threw in a professional, slightly busy looking earring and used a bit of concealer, it might be pretty unnoticeable (or if noticed, it would be obvious that you made efforts to make them look professional).

Depending how aggressively you stretched them, they may shrink back pretty well.

I had 00s at one point, but quickly went back to 0s. I'm in a 4 now, and if I take them out a few days before a big event (wedding or something) I can wear regular earrings. In the 2/4 range I haven't had any issues.

But I stretched them very slowly over the course of a year or so, more than 10 years ago.

24d583a.jpg

Thanks, it's good to hear! I threw in some 2's to let them start shrinking slowly. I stretched very slowly over 7 years but went back and forth between big/small. Hopefully I can find something affordable, I would definitely not regret using a called-in favor to save out-of-pocket costs for a surgery though haha.