1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

05/31 Test, Study Content or Prac Questions?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by deadlocked, May 16, 2008.

1. deadlocked

deadlocked always sciencing
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So, I'm taking the test on the 31st. I've done 2 practice tests fully and the EK test in parts. I've done fine (30+), however I want to boost my score a few points. All I need is to get about 3 more questions right per section and I'll been in real good shape (just physics and bio, verbal is fine).

What is the best strategy for these last two weeks?
    Should I focus on Content more or just crank out practice tests and problems?

I'm now trying to do a little of both, but I'm leaning more toward content, just because I feel like I don't know many of the little, commonly tested details. I'm confident I can review all my notes and the sections of the EK prep books in a short amount of time, but is it worth the time (prob 3-4days)?

I will be taking at least 2 more practice tests before the exam.

I'm also working full time, so I've only got afternoons from 4-...pm and weekends to study.

Thanks!

2. herewego

7+ Year Member

Heh, I'm in the exact same boat as you, only I've taken a few more practice exams. Personally, I'm doing very brief content reviews and some random passages from my princeton class just to find weaknesses/clarify things. I also intend to take atleast 2 more full exams.

Personally, I think test taking is most beneficial because you get some practice AND you find potential weak spots, although content review definately has its merits.

3. deadlocked

deadlocked always sciencing
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I think I'm going to briefly go through my notes and make sure I know the important aspects of each area, like how muscles contract, the parts of the ETC and KrebsC, buffers, etc...

If I'm not sure I'll focus a little more, but otherwise just a cursory glance through all the content, and do a few practice questions from EK1001 and a Kaplan book.

I was thinking if I only focused on practice tests, I could easily neglect an entire topic that may show up on the actual MCAT I take, which would really suck.

4. herewego

7+ Year Member

Agreed, the thought crossed my mind as well. c'est la vie..

5. mterp45

mterp45 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    If your goal is to review detail, Ek has about as much detail as a plain white shirt. You need to find a different source. I would recommend Ek to that guy who posted the other thread about cramming for the MCAT in two weeks. It's a good overall picture but that's about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...