1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

05/31 Test, Study Content or Prac Questions?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by deadlocked, May 16, 2008.

1. deadlocked

deadlocked always sciencing
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So, I'm taking the test on the 31st. I've done 2 practice tests fully and the EK test in parts. I've done fine (30+), however I want to boost my score a few points. All I need is to get about 3 more questions right per section and I'll been in real good shape (just physics and bio, verbal is fine).

What is the best strategy for these last two weeks?
    Should I focus on Content more or just crank out practice tests and problems?

I'm now trying to do a little of both, but I'm leaning more toward content, just because I feel like I don't know many of the little, commonly tested details. I'm confident I can review all my notes and the sections of the EK prep books in a short amount of time, but is it worth the time (prob 3-4days)?

I will be taking at least 2 more practice tests before the exam.

I'm also working full time, so I've only got afternoons from 4-...pm and weekends to study.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. herewego

7+ Year Member

Heh, I'm in the exact same boat as you, only I've taken a few more practice exams. Personally, I'm doing very brief content reviews and some random passages from my princeton class just to find weaknesses/clarify things. I also intend to take atleast 2 more full exams.

Personally, I think test taking is most beneficial because you get some practice AND you find potential weak spots, although content review definately has its merits.

4. deadlocked

deadlocked always sciencing
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I think I'm going to briefly go through my notes and make sure I know the important aspects of each area, like how muscles contract, the parts of the ETC and KrebsC, buffers, etc...

If I'm not sure I'll focus a little more, but otherwise just a cursory glance through all the content, and do a few practice questions from EK1001 and a Kaplan book.

I was thinking if I only focused on practice tests, I could easily neglect an entire topic that may show up on the actual MCAT I take, which would really suck.

5. herewego

7+ Year Member

Agreed, the thought crossed my mind as well. c'est la vie..

6. mterp45

mterp45 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    If your goal is to review detail, Ek has about as much detail as a plain white shirt. You need to find a different source. I would recommend Ek to that guy who posted the other thread about cramming for the MCAT in two weeks. It's a good overall picture but that's about it.