08/22/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayden001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one taking it on this date? If so, that would be sweeeet cos I get to set my curve.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

sorry rayden.
im in this group too.
i hear there is another person out there on these boards as well.
so now there are three of us.
but just a reminder, our curve is set by people who answered the questions in previous years' MCATs. Which is to say that we are not technically curved against each other, but rather, curved against everyone who has ever had that particular question on an MCAT.
Not quite sure if the Writing Section works out the same way though...

I'll probably end up taking the one on the 26th, as it is the last test date before I go back to school.

haha is there really no thread for us? I'm upping the total number to 4 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks;). Thought I was only one. How is studying going?

Hey guys. I'm taking on this date too. retaking from may 10th. How are yous studies coming along? I'm finding it hard to concentrate. need to get some more motivation somehow. Right now i'm working on the EK 1001 questions and 101 passages. plan on being done with that by July 22, and then just take practice tests and review my weaknesses. Godd luck to all of us and let's hope this will be the last time taking this test!!

This is my first test, and I definitely hope my last!

Studying the past two weeks or so has been really painful. I was on track through June, but now that I've hit the mid-point my motivation seems to be failing... :(

quick comment about my own situation:
I'm not absolutely certain I'm retaking on 8/22.
but i've been doing easy studying so far. nothing too crazy though. i have yet to feel like ive spent too much time at my computer studying (which is a VERY good thing, psychologically)

I feel a little unmotivated. Maybe when I take another FL this weekend, my score would ignite the flame once again. Just can't wait to be done with this. I absolutely have no life this summer:(. Let just hope the end justifies the means.

Hi guys. I am taking it on Aug 22nd as well. I am scared b/c i took a test AAMC # 3 test this sunday and didn't do well at all. I got 20 :(
Well I still have more or less 6 weeks, so hopefully it will get better.

Count me in too!

I haven't been studying as hard as I'd planned, but I took AAMC 3 today and did much better than I thought I would. I'm also doing Kaplan classroom course and will take Kaplan FL 1 this weekend. Between the AAMC and Kaplan tests, there are 18, and I'm going to try and do them all before 8/22.

I'm planning a retake.

I pulled a 29R (10PS/09VR/10BS) on May 27th.

Some people have advised me not to retake, but I think I can bring my score up a few points.

I'm going over EK again to brush up on content, and I'll be taking practice tests and working on EK VR and the TPR Science Workbook.

Hey everyone, I'm taking the 8/22 exam as well, and I am counting down the days (43 days left I believe) and I am quite nervous! Mainly because I am finishing up 10 of the 15 credit hours I took over the summer :( work 40 hrs a week, and take my cali/vegas trip august 5th-11th. I took this trip with hopes of registering for the july 18th exam, which was a no-go because there weren't any seats left. So, for the next 6 weeks or so I hope to be hitting the books extra hard with an 8hr study day Saturday, practice exam Sunday and 4 hrs of study after...so until then NO Booze (except vegas), NO dates... AND NO BELLY FLOPPING (LOL).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I'm taking the 8/22 exam as well, and I am counting down the days (43 days left I believe) and I am quite nervous! Mainly because I am finishing up 10 of the 15 credit hours I took over the summer :( work 40 hrs a week, and take my cali/vegas trip august 5th-11th. I took this trip with hopes of registering for the july 18th exam, which was a no-go because there weren't any seats left. So, for the next 6 weeks or so I hope to be hitting the books extra hard with an 8hr study day Saturday, practice exam Sunday and 4 hrs of study after...so until then NO Booze (except vegas), NO dates... AND NO BELLY FLOPPING (LOL).

42 days, 23 hours, 46 minutes, and 36...35...34... seconds according to the countdown widget on my iGoogle homepage.

Yeah, I'm a completely neurotic, obsessed pre-med... :oops:

I also write on this date. I was breezing through the material in June, but now I'm losing motivation. My practice scores are up to a 34, on my last test. 6 weeks left....maybe I need a break?

I am taking the test on 8/22 too. I am extremely worried because I have never scored above a 29 on the practice tests. I just hope that I can improve. I took a long break and I have a lot of studying to do. Hopefully I won't have to take this test again. I am planning not to take any breaks until the test and keep on taking all the practice tests I have and improve my weak areas. Good luck to everyone.:)

P.S. I am applying to MD schools for entrance in 2010

i'm here too...going strong. I'm hoping taking the MCAT this late wont put us at too much of a disadvantage for the 2008-2009 application cycle.

I'll either be applying (MD) for entrance in 2010 or, if I decide to take a year off, 2011.

Wow everyone seems to be unmotivated....I think with this date approaching at full speed is making me more amped to study. Another motivation was not wanting to waste $210!!! Oh yea, I'm applying for 2010 entrance...which gives me ample time to take this thing again if I need to...which I PRAY I don't have to :eek:

i agree. I am also motivated because I keep thinking that if I kill this exam I will never have to look at it again.

I'm also signed up for this date. It will be my first MCAT. I'm applying for entrance into D.O. schools for 2009. So far, I've been using my friend's TPR books as well as general bio & g-chem textbooks. I'm still doing content review, as well as the practice passages in TPR's science workbook. I have yet to take a full-length practice exam. I've only taken the verbal section in AAMC #3.

How many practice tests have you taken so far? I have taken about 4 kaplan ones, 1 AAMC (5R) and one berkeley review. I have scored from 25-30 on these. Right now, I am just taking practice tests and concentration on my weak areas.

I've taken 1 Kaplan full length and 1 AAMC (and also the Kaplan diagnostic if you count that). I did a free Kaplan practice test on campus during the semester too, but that was a few months ago and before I did any prep.

Well I just registered for the 8/22 exam as I couldn't get a seat for the 8/26 exam (why was that one so popular?)

Scores so far were:

AAMC 3: 8PS/10VR/8BS = 26 while I was halfway through content review
AAMC 5: 11PS/10VR/8BS = 31 while 2/3rds through content review.

I should be finished with content review in two weeks, which gives me a few weeks to do extra studying on top of that. Should be fine, I'm not worried and you guys shouldn't be either. We're going to rock this ****!!

I get my June 13 scores either today or tomorrow... so I'll let you guys know if I am going to be joining you or not. :D

Have any of you guys done the AAMC 4? I thought the PS section of 4 was much harder than AAMC 3.

Anyone else nervous about taking an exam this late in the summer? I'm worried because I'm diverging from my original plan of applying next year, and doing a hail mary and applying this session. I'm concerned though that if I take this exam and don't do well then its absolutely too late to do any retakes for this application session.

Would it be a good idea to move the test up to as soon as possible so that I might be able to squeeze in a retake if needed at the end of august or in september?

Looks like the next date to register for would be august 5th. Is it worth a try?

yoooo first test and probably the last one I'm gonna take, anyone got a good luck ritual I could get in on?

a fellow august 22nder here. i'm starting to feel the pressure as the one month mark approaches. any opinions on how to spread out the practice FLs? i have access to all the kaplan online stuff and ive only done 3 full tests total.

i know i can still use a fair amount of content review (judging from my bio scores, eeek) but i don't know if i should focus exclusively on content review for now, or intersperse the review with practice tests. what are you guys doing?

Yeah I am taking it on August 22 too! I'm glad to join the club :)

For those in the Kaplan program: Are you planning to do all 11 FLs? In another thread someone said the real MCAT is like the "easier" Kaplan exams (not like FLs 9-11, so I might skip those)

Murdoc- I am interspersing the review with practice tests, so I can review my practice tests and spend time "brushing up" on content I am missing on the practice exams. But it's up to you - you could always study exclusively content for a few days, then do practice exams and review content in between if you wanted.

I'm going to try and do all 11 FLs, and I want to get through all the AAMCs too.

I guess that'll mean doing a practice test at least every 2-3 days until test day. Not looking forward to it.

Yeah I am going to try to do all AAMCs plus Kaplan FLs 1-9 and maybe 10/11 if I have time. I'll also be doing practice exams every 2-3 days to get this accomplished! I've done ~2 full-lengths now.

Murdoc- I am interspersing the review with practice tests, so I can review my practice tests and spend time "brushing up" on content I am missing on the practice exams. But it's up to you - you could always study exclusively content for a few days, then do practice exams and review content in between if you wanted.
This seems like good advice, it's exactly what I'm doing. After I'm done with a practice test, I go back and write down all the concepts on questions I got wrong (or guessed on) and then I try to review all those concepts before taking another practice test.

It seems to be working because my BS/PS scores are improving on AAMC tests, but VR is stuck in the same place. How are you guys working on VR?

It seems to be working because my BS/PS scores are improving on AAMC tests, but VR is stuck in the same place. How are you guys working on VR?

EK 101. I can't get my scores to budge either. I mean if I get a 10 on the real thing I'll be happy, but I'm going on the assumption that I'm going to get two less point in every section than I want.

It seems like some of us thinking about retaking on 8/22. I just took my first mcat today (7/18) and I'm banging my head on the wall 'cause I should've voided it.

Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys are applying this year or next year. I wanted to apply this year and was wondering if doing well on a late August exam would help at all? Or should I just apply next year...?

It seems like some of us thinking about retaking on 8/22. I just took my first mcat today (7/18) and I'm banging my head on the wall 'cause I should've voided it.

Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys are applying this year or next year. I wanted to apply this year and was wondering if doing well on a late August exam would help at all? Or should I just apply next year...?
I'm retaking from May 10th and I'm definitely applying this year for MD schools. it won't hurt to give it a try to a few schools! If I don't get in this year...there's always next year! I think you should try, because if you don't apply, you don't get in.

I'm taking it for the first time and I've applied MD and DO. i figure its worth the shot for the chance to avoid waiting another year. Worst case, I do better next time and reapply next year.

How are you guys working on VR?
Thus far I have been using Kaplan's materials with the classroom course. I am considering buying EK since people say that is more reflective of the real MCAT & AAMC-style questions.

Well we've got a month until exam time. Everyone prepping hard?

I really feel like this damn test has taken over my life. The entire summer has been devoted to either studying for the mcat or thinking about the mcat or dreaming about the mcat.

Haha yeah I know what you mean. So far I have been doing FL exams and content review, and that'll be the drill for the next month - alot of work, but it'll be worth it right!?

Bump. How's the studying coming along? Some of the other Aug threads are buzzing but no one in the 8/22 club has updated so I thought I'd move this up, see where everyone's at!!!

yesterday, i took kaplan FL#4 and got a 34. (p:13 v:10 b:11)

i dont know how i feel about the kaplan scale. it seems wayy too inflated?

on what basis does kaplan set the "curve" for their own FLs anyway? do they look at how people who took their tests do on the real thing? it seems a bit like comparing apples and oranges to me, but what do i know.

Bump. How's the studying coming along? Some of the other Aug threads are buzzing but no one in the 8/22 club has updated so I thought I'd move this up, see where everyone's at!!!

Increasingly sick of studying. I can't do anymore of the EK 1001 questions, they're just too tedious. I've been typing up short notes for all the EK books as more like something I can read over in the day or so before the exam without going through the entire books again.

Might take another aamc tomorrow, depends on whether I get hammered tonight or not.

Murdoc9 - I think the Kaplan scale is slightly inflated, but that's only from personal experience/scores. I still have to take a few more AAMCs to tell for sure. But if your AAMC scores are around what you scored on FL4, then you don't have to worry! Awesome scores by the way, I am taking Kaplan FL3 Monday I think. As far as how they set the curve I am not sure.

engineeredout, I feel you about the studying. I think I liked it much better earlier (content review/learning material), than now - constant repetition of practice exam, reviewing content can be mundane at times.