08/22/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayden001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one taking it on this date? If so, that would be sweeeet cos I get to set my curve.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

im gonna go out on a limb here and predict that the new scores will be released around 1:30 PST (4:30 EST).

i have absolutely no reasoning behind assuming this time of day...this is just for my own amusement at this point.

haha. Well its a good guess. Scores are usually released over the course of 4:30 to 5:30p

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i almost cried when i read the scores....i was so happy

PS:13
VR:11
BS:11
35M

i had taken the test in june and got a 12ps,11bs,8vr and really wanted to improve on the vr section..guess i did!!! good luck to all of you!!!!

Indeed, the scores are up.

AAMC Practice 4-9 Average

PS 12
BS 11.2
VR 11.4

Actual 8/22 Exam

8VR
11PS
10BS
Writing R

Total 29R

8 in VR? I'm beginning to hyperventilate!!!!!

My personal breakdown:

PS: 9
VR: 10
BS: 9
WR: Q

Looks like I will be taking the test once more this upcoming January. Congrats to all who've succeeded.

Members don't see this ad :)
May 27th:
10 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS = 29R

August 22nd:
9 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS = 30R

Do you think ADCOMs will look poorly on my drop of a PS point, or will they focus more on my addition of 2 VR points?

Hey guys, I took the June 13 exam - then retook today.

Basically I feel like most everyone else did. I predicted a 28 on June 13th and got it. To bestow some kind of weird superstitious good luck upon myself, I predict:

10, 11, 10 Q

Please, Jebus, tell me it's true. :rolleyes:

Hey guys. I am SO happy to report back on this. I predicted a 31Q, and got a 30Q. Which, I am absolutely fine with. 30!!!!!!!!!!!

10 PS, 11 VR, and 9 BS Q was the breakdown.

My last test was 8 PS, 10 VR, and 10 BS.

Worth the 2 point increase? Definitely. It's a peace of mind and a confidence in myself that I wouldn't have had before. :)

Congrats to everyone, especially Matt O. who worked his ass off for this.

14 Phys
10 VR
11 Bio

35L

WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THE L? ITS IN THE 5 TO 11 PERCENTILE!:scared:

I wouldn't worry about it for one nanosecond. The writing sample is completely, 100% meaningless and irrelevant to all adcoms. Enjoy your excellent grade!!:) You made a 35! That is awesome and competitive everywhere. Congrats :)

i almost cried when i read the scores....i was so happy

PS:13
VR:11
BS:11
35M

i had taken the test in june and got a 12ps,11bs,8vr and really wanted to improve on the vr section..guess i did!!! good luck to all of you!!!!
Wow, talk about a worthwhile retake :) going from low 30's to mid 30's is really hard! Congrats!

Indeed, the scores are up.

AAMC Practice 4-9 Average

PS 12
BS 11.2
VR 11.4

Actual 8/22 Exam

8VR
11PS
10BS
Writing R

Total 29R

8 in VR? I'm beginning to hyperventilate!!!!!

First off, a 29 is still average for matriculants. Second, your AAMC averages show you can do way better. I think you should consider retaking if you feel you can do better. Otherwise, a 29 can still make you an MD

VR-9
PS-9
BS-12
WS-P

Total: 30P

I think retake for me...any thoughts?

Your score seems surprisingly low based on the practice scores listed on your MDapps. Do you have any idea of what went wrong?

I don't think I'm qualified to give advice on retaking, but based on your list of schools (Duke, Harvard, Yale, etc.), those two 9s do seem troublesome.

Your score seems surprisingly low based on the practice scores listed on your MDapps. Do you have any idea of what went wrong?

I don't think I'm qualified to give advice on retaking, but based on your list of schools (Duke, Harvard, Yale, etc.), those two 9s do seem troublesome.

Yes, you'll definitely have to retake it if you want to get into the schools on your profile. Did you become really nervous when you took it?

VR-9
PS-9
BS-12
WS-P

Total: 30P

I think retake for me...any thoughts?

Well guys...hands are a bit shaky, but im a bit disappointed. I was expecting a 31-32. Here is my scores:

PS- 8
VR- 11
BS- 10

29Q -- This was my first MCAT test. Does anybody if I should retake? I don't have super competitive GPA either.

Thirty isn't bad, but the top-tier schools will probably want more. I'll try to have a look at your MDApps in a bit and do a more qualified assessment. It certainly isn't a bad score... you may just want to rethink your list a bit, or retake if you are sure you can do better.

Well guys...hands are a bit shaky, but im a bit disappointed. I was expecting a 31-32. Here is my scores:

PS- 8
VR- 11
BS- 10

29Q -- This was my first MCAT test. Does anybody if I should retake? I don't have super competitive GPA either.

The only thing I would even think about retaking for would be the 8-PS, however, 11 VR is amazing. VR is so funny, a retake could be worse for that - and some schools really look for the higher VR score. What do the rest of your stats look like - and where are you applying? PM me if you need/want more help. :luck:

First of all, I have to confess, I have been a total lurker on this thread for some time now! I have really appreciated seeing how everyone else who took the test on the 22nd was doing and what was going on with the score releases....
But finally I felt the need to register and offer some encouragement to those who may not have done as well as they hoped. I took the June 13th test and got a 28T and was pretty devastated... 10 V, 7 (!!!) P, 11 B.
Afterwards I debated whether or not to go through the whole thing again and finally decided to with a month to re-prepare.
On the August 22nd test, I scored a 36T! 12 V, 13 P, 11 B.
It can be done! For those of you debating whether or not to take it again, I highly suggest doing so! I am in such a better position now than I was before, and I am so so so glad I decided to put myself through one more month of studying!

My physics score went from a 7... to a 13. and I completely, completely attribute that to the Examkrackers physics book. It was amazing, and spoke directly to my more verbal, writing oriented mind. For those of you in my former position, I highly recommend it!!!! Now I sound like an advertisement, but it is the truth! Good luck to all and congrats to everyone who did how they'd hoped!!! :):):)

First of all, I have to confess, I have been a total lurker on this thread for some time now! I have really appreciated seeing how everyone else who took the test on the 22nd was doing and what was going on with the score releases....
But finally I felt the need to register and offer some encouragement to those who may not have done as well as they hoped. I took the June 13th test and got a 28T and was pretty devastated... 10 V, 7 (!!!) P, 11 B.
Afterwards I debated whether or not to go through the whole thing again and finally decided to with a month to re-prepare.
On the August 22nd test, I scored a 36T! 12 V, 13 P, 11 B.
It can be done! For those of you debating whether or not to take it again, I highly suggest doing so! I am in such a better position now than I was before, and I am so so so glad I decided to put myself through one more month of studying!

My physics score went from a 7... to a 13. and I completely, completely attribute that to the Examkrackers physics book. It was amazing, and spoke directly to my more verbal, writing oriented mind. For those of you in my former position, I highly recommend it!!!! Now I sound like an advertisement, but it is the truth! Good luck to all and congrats to everyone who did how they'd hoped!!! :):):)

Congrats!!!

agleason,
I am right there with you i got a 34L. I was hoping for like a 30 or above.
I was improving from 27, 27, 28, 31, 33, 34, 36 on 3-9 AAMC tests. Never took 10.
I got the following:

PS 12
VR 10
BS 12
WS L

I am SOOOOOOO Stoked! Nice job on the 35! Yes the L is kind of a no go, but I did 0 preparation and was kinda lost during the actual test. I actually skipped the WS on each AAMC practice test. So I expected that. I think you are good to go w/ a 35L. God bless those with R's etc.

Ashish...tough break! I look up to your sage advice and was thinking you would pull down a 38ish. Keep at it.

All else, congrats and thanks for venting. It helped to read your thoughts!

I second Dancingdoc on the EK prep books. That is all I did and I went from a 27 pre prep to a 36 post prep on the AAMC practice tests and a 34 L overall

karate monkey

Last edited:

yes i will trim down that list of schools...

i'm wondering what any body else thinks about a balanced 30P score in the grand scheme of things? (9-9-12)

any advice would be awesome!

I couldn't be happier but I am just worried about my verbal score. I have a good total score but I just hope that my verbal does not give me any troubles. However, I am also not planning on taking it again. Any thoughts on my verbal score? Thanks. Congratulations for everyone who did great and good luck for those who are thinking about taking it again. :)

AVERAGE SCORES (AAMC tests #’s)
VR: -7
PS: -~11
BS: -~11

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: -6
PS: -12
BS: -11
WS: -R

8/22 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
VR: -8
PS: -11
BS: -12
WS: - O

I guess I'll bite the bullet and post my sad, sad scores for the underachievers out there.

PS- 6
VR- 11
BS- 8
Writing - O

Pret-ty bad I will admit. Obviously I will be signing up for the January exam. Physical sciences is my nemesis. I'm taking biochem this semester, so hopefully that will aid in bumping up my BS score while I'm hard at work with physics.

31 Q
PS 11
VR 9
BS 11

I know this score isn't horrendous but I'm not sure how to feel about it. My gpa is pretty low- have a 3.4ish with bcpm at 3.2 but ive had a strong upward trend. went from a 3.0 to 3.8 (currently a junior). i know it doesnt make too much of a difference but i'm also at an ivy. should i retake? i'd really appreciate any feedback

I guess I'll bite the bullet and post my sad, sad scores for the underachievers out there.

PS- 6
VR- 11
BS- 8
Writing - O

Pret-ty bad I will admit. Obviously I will be signing up for the January exam. Physical sciences is my nemesis. I'm taking biochem this semester, so hopefully that will aid in bumping up my BS score while I'm hard at work with physics.

Best of :luck: with your retake! The sciences are definitely the easier to raise, so you should be in good shape in Jan. Work hard and it will pay off! :)

31 Q
PS 11
VR 9
BS 11

I know this score isn't horrendous but I'm not sure how to feel about it. My gpa is pretty low- have a 3.4ish with bcpm at 3.2 but ive had a strong upward trend. went from a 3.0 to 3.8 (currently a junior). i know it doesnt make too much of a difference but i'm also at an ivy. should i retake? i'd really appreciate any feedback

You should retake. It's a decent score but if you made it into an Ivy you can do better than that, and why not do the best you can?

Yowza!
scores are UP!!!
i got:

10 in VR
11 in PS
10 in BS
Q in Writing

Overall 31-Q :D

CONGRATS Matt!!! :thumbup:

PS- 6
VR- 11
BS- 8
Writing - O

Sunny I am sorry to hear that you did not obtain the score that you wanted. I admire your bravery and courage to post your score on SDN as the threads do not show a true consensus of the nation's average MCAT score. I want to remind you that the average national MCAT score is a 25. This does not mean that you should not strive to do better, but many applicants have taken the mcat more than once and it is nothing that hard work can't fix. MrMattOglesby is one example of a success story and if you look around there are many more. Take this time to assess where you went wrong in your studies and how you can improve. I recommend that you plan this out before jumping back into the wagon and remember don't take the MCAT until YOU are ready... the MCAT will not go anywhere.

I'm sure that this question has been asked a million times elsewhere, so please forgive me. If your score is "alright" (defined as: won't help or hurt you) but just not where you want it to be, will the January scores come in time to make a difference for this cycle?

Thanks tweets!
i FINALLY survived the physical sciences...!!
im a happy camper now! :D

Congrats to everyone who reached their target score, especially you matt!

To those that did not reach their target score:
Just remember that this is just a test. And where there is the motivation and determination to become a physician, you will find a way to get your target score. Do not give up, instead give it all you got! You can do this. It might be hard, it might be difficult, but you have the ability to get it done. We'll always be here to help you and to guide you through your MCAT studying. So come back when you've started studying again, and then let's do this. We want you to succeed, and we want you to do the absolute best that you can. Just remember that the MCAT is not your final goal, becoming a physician is! So never let the MCAT hold you back.

I'm sure that this question has been asked a million times elsewhere, so please forgive me. If your score is "alright" (defined as: won't help or hurt you) but just not where you want it to be, will the January scores come in time to make a difference for this cycle?

For entry into 2009? Unfortunately, no. I don't think there are any schools (or at least, very few) that accept Jan scores.

This cycle of applications?

Nice job everyone! Looks like people have fared pretty well from this administration (unlike July 18, which was the one I most recently took :().

i got:

10 in VR
11 in PS
10 in BS
Q in Writing

Overall 31-Q :D

MrMatt - Whoa! WTG!! :hardy::hardy: It's probably on here somewhere, but would you mind briefly sharing what strategy/books you used to bring your PS up by a crazy huge 5 five points in a pretty short amount of time? (and thanks to dancindoc85 for the FYI with your success with EK :thumbup:)

Only if you are on waitlists.

Yes, for this cycle. I thought maybe as an "update," but I'm getting the sense that it would probably not be worthwhile. Does anyone think that it would move someone up on a waitlist or are you pretty much fixed, once they place you there? I feel like I am asking you guys to look into a crystal ball. Sorry. . . .

Vihsadas: Thank you for your post. You are absolutely right that the MCAT is not the final goal.

PS- 6
VR- 11
BS- 8
Writing - O

its ok, i'm gonna post mine too.
PS 7
BS 7
VR 10
Writing S

I'm definitely re-taking it.. considering my score. Although I did feel like the verbal was pretty easy , so i'm kinda shocked that I received a 10 on it. Also, I thought the bio was extrremely difficult, so I was very surprised that I received a 7. So I guesss i got both good and bad surprises when seeing my score.

Good luck to the rest of you out there applying this year! i will probably apply as well, but I'm also re-taking the kaplan course (making good use of their higher score guarantee!)

Kaplan Avg 13.80 13.00 14.20 41.00
AAMC Avg 13.50 12.50 13.13 39.13

Actual 12 12 12 S 36S

This is 1 point higher than the lowest AAMC practice I did. AAMC 6-10 Were 42, 42, 40, 40, 40. I'm pretty stunned right now.

Actual 12 12 12 S 36S

This is 1 point higher than the lowest AAMC practice I did. AAMC 6-10 Were 42, 42, 40, 40, 40. I'm pretty stunned right now.

Interesting. What do you think got you? My averages are about the same.

Actual 12 12 12 S 36S

Ok. Look at the big picture of things. You have an amazingly distributed 36. It really can't get much better than that. And be glad that it wasn't lower than all of your practice test scores!!!

ps I also scored one point higher than my lowest. :rolleyes: It's annoying, but it really doesn't make a difference for your overall app. Great job!!!