1/2 African American - 1/4 Native American - 1/4 Mexican = 3x the URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epc11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What am I? haha

EDIT: sorry for the confusion, i posted this for a friend of mine who is everything listed above. it's nice to know he'll have a big advantage when applying... i'm just a white argentinian

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On a serious note. If you have documentation, I would claim Native American. I think it is the most URM. Also, I am pretty sure that there are some pretty awesome tribal scholarships. Good luck :luck:

My Great Grandma was 100% Native American...I have Native American on my father's side as well, but back much farther.

If I actually got the correct paperwork I think I might be able to claim URM.... alas my great grandma changed her name to one that would allow her to fit in better, my grandma knew her original name, but she is dead and she never told her kids what her original name was because great grandma wanted it left alone.

According to my tribe which I contacted years ago when I wanted to learn about my ancestors, I need to know her original name. I don't know anything about her, I never met her and I don't have contact with any family members that might have any information.

So I will probably never get that paperwork, oh well. I want it more so to learn about my ancestors than to claim URM. Although that would be a nice bonus :p

I know it is a joke. But it is still very distasteful...

Hrm, maybe we're reading it differently, but I thought it was a joke about the propensity of the police to assume that Blacks and other minorities are criminals, not claiming that they really were criminals. Granted, racial profiling is a serious matter, but African-Americans make jokes about "Driving while Black" and stuff all the time.

My Great Grandma was 100% Native American...I have Native American on my father's side as well, but back much farther.

If I actually got the correct paperwork I think I might be able to claim URM.... alas my great grandma changed her name to one that would allow her to fit in better, my grandma knew her original name, but she is dead and she never told her kids what her original name was because great grandma wanted it left alone.

According to my tribe which I contacted years ago when I wanted to learn about my ancestors, I need to know her original name. I don't know anything about her, I never met her and I don't have contact with any family members that might have any information.

So I will probably never get that paperwork, oh well. I want it more so to learn about my ancestors than to claim URM. Although that would be a nice bonus :p

I'm in the same boat! I have enough ancestry to claim tribal membership, but I don't know enough about my biological grandparents to actually get the full recognition. My fiance is a quarter American Indian, though, with easier access to documentation, so at least our kids will benefit!

OP, you have a bit of a leg up, but that doesn't mean you can slack on anything. Just be a competitive applicant regardless of URM status and you'll do well!

Last edited:
You are one lucky fellow, my friend. Check the other box, claim it all and bask in the glory! Try to get your tribal affiliation card ASAP, a lot of schools ask for that. Also, make a point to highlight activities that indicate involvement in any of the above communities... I don't mean to be a jerk, but some adcoms might think that's just TOO lucky, even if it's totally legit. Backing it up with activities might prevent grilling later on.

I bet you were the cutest baby in the nursery though :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, you might want to get your proof handy, I agree with that.

Adcom guy, "look at this applicant! mexican, native american and black....no way any pre-med is that lucky" :laugh:

You were born for medical school! rofl.
funny-pictures-bravo-bunny.jpg
(if you don't think that is cute you are just wrong...terribly wrong

You are one lucky fellow, my friend. Check the other box, claim it all and bask in the glory! Try to get your tribal affiliation card ASAP, a lot of schools ask for that. Also, make a point to highlight activities that indicate involvement in any of the above communities... I don't mean to be a jerk, but some adcoms might think that's just TOO lucky, even if it's totally legit. Backing it up with activities might prevent grilling later on.

I bet you were the cutest baby in the nursery though :p

:thumbup:. If you don't show involvement in any of the above communities, I doubt your mixed ethnicity URM status will give you much of an advantage over a single ethnicity URM applicant who shows commitment to serve the community they represent.

:thumbup:. If you don't show involvement in any of the above communities, I doubt your mixed ethnicity URM status will give you much of an advantage over a single ethnicity URM applicant who shows commitment to serve the community they represent.
+1

If you do have involvement in one or more of these communities, however, this will likely work heavily to your advantage.

I know it is a joke. But it is still very distasteful...

i disagree that this is distasteful. its just a sad fact that ought to acknowledged as part of the cultural disadvantage that is the reason for the URM advantage in amcas in the first place.

I'm 1/4 hispanic (born in cuba) 1/4 african( from nigeria) 1/4 (spaniard from spain) 1/4 chinese (china) so i'm like megaurmm status too right?

What am I? haha

Claim African American status. That is your best bet.

If you don't speak Spanish or don't have a surname like Hernandez or haven't experienced Mexico for an extended period of time, don't claim Hispanic status. You may end up looking like a fool if an interviewer talks to you in rapid Spanish and you cannot carry on your conversation with him in Spanish.

My gf's grandpa who was Deputy Chair of a Lakota tribe - equivalent of one-step-below-Chief - said you are not Native American for sure. He still occasionally interviews medical students. He said he will ask you about your Indian status - such as if you had a tribal id - and other questions and will be able to determine with a few seconds if you are indeed considered Indian. It will seriously hurt your application if you claim Indian status. Unless you are member of a tribe.

Personally I think you are better off claiming African American status.

I won't be following this thread, so PM me with any questions you may want me to ask my gf's grandpa. I usually see him once a week when he comes in for dialysis. Good luck with your application!

I was gonna say you're annoying...I mean how does one decide they are
1/6 chinese, 1/3 french creole, 1/16 native american, 1/11 serbian-croatian, and 2/3 hipster douche applying for med school?

Claim African American status. That is your best bet.

If you don't speak Spanish or don't have a surname like Hernandez or haven't experienced Mexico for an extended period of time, don't claim Hispanic status. You may end up looking like a fool if an interviewer talks to you in rapid Spanish and you cannot carry on your conversation with him in Spanish.

My gf's grandpa who was Deputy Chair of a Lakota tribe - equivalent of one-step-below-Chief - said you are not Native American for sure. He still occasionally interviews medical students. He said he will ask you about your Indian status - such as if you had a tribal id - and other questions and will be able to determine with a few seconds if you are indeed considered Indian. It will seriously hurt your application if you claim Indian status. Unless you are member of a tribe.

Personally I think you are better off claiming African American status.

I won't be following this thread, so PM me with any questions you may want me to ask my gf's grandpa. I usually see him once a week when he comes in for dialysis. Good luck with your application!

So if someone is hispanic but can't speak spanish, he/she is unable to claim URM status? Now that's just silly.

Speaking Spanish is not a qualification for claiming Hispanic descent. I am a first generation Cuban-American (both my parents were born in Cuba), I am not fluent in Spanish, and I have never been to Cuba. My parents wanted English to be our first language since they knew it was much easier to learn English --> Spanish than Spanish --> English.

Speaking Spanish is not a qualification for claiming Hispanic descent. I am a first generation Cuban-American (both my parents were born in Cuba), I am not fluent in Spanish, and I have never been to Cuba. My parents wanted English to be our first language since they knew it was much easier to learn English --> Spanish than Spanish --> English.

in the end, as long as you know enough to talk to patients and do histories does it really matter?