1-2 year heme fellowship in US after single boarding med onc in Cananda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carrot0123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if I can complete my internal med + med onc training in Cananda for 5 years and during that time acquire my marriage green card so that it would be less of a hassle to stay in the states if I decide to go there after training in Cananda.

I've heard you're more limited in jobs if you're only single boarded in med onc so I was wondering if there's a way to apply to a 1-2 year fellowship in heme after finishing my med onc training (since we don't have heme/onc in canada anymore it seems).

Another option would to be apply to try and get the green card in time for the pgy2 fellowship application dates for in July but would need to get married and apply 11-17 months ahead of time which probably won't work for me.

Are there heme fellowships that exist in a 1 year format for single boarded med onc's ? or would you have to do a full on 2 year heme fellowship?

Would it be much more helpful to go through this to get this heme qualification or is it better to apply to places who will accept single boarded med onc's?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know enough about Canadian training to definitively answer most of your questions. Should you decide to do a heme-only fellowship, you will do 2 years, which is a huge waste IMO.

What I will say is that most of the heme you see in a community hem/onc practice could be easily managed by a moderately competent M3 and the hard stuff you can either refer out or "phone a friend". I'm onc only trained and boarded and no issues getting a job or keeping the boring benign heme patients alive.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know enough about Canadian training to definitively answer most of your questions. Should you decide to do a heme-only fellowship, you will do 2 years, which is a huge waste IMO.

What I will say is that most of the heme you see in a community hem/onc practice could be easily managed by a moderately competent M3 and the hard stuff you can either refer out or "phone a friend". I'm onc only trained and boarded and no issues getting a job or keeping the boring benign heme patients alive.
Ah ok I see, so not the end of the world if the double board isn't acquired, just makes things easier if you can do with just an extra year added on to your training. I've always been mostly interested in solid tumours anyways. Thanks!!