1.89 1st semester freshman year GPA: JUST GOT INTO DREXEL COLLEGE OF MEDICINE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPescatorelli

Takin it Easy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have been just reading posts on these boards for years, but I've never had anything to say. I have used SDN for information and advice and I am proud to finally say I did it.

I had a 1.89 my first semester of undergrad, and after a two year post bac I am going to be a first year at Drexel College of Medicine in the fall!!

I just want everyone to know who is discouraged that it's possible. My first semester of college I had a 1.89 GPA, was on academic probation, got a D+ in general chemistry and a D in calculus.

Now... I am going to be a medical student!

If you're in any way similar to me, please be inspired. It's completely possible to get into Medical school! I am a believer!

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I have been just reading posts on these boards for years, but I've never had anything to say. I have used SDN for information and advice and I am proud to finally say I did it.

I had a 1.89 my first semester of undergrad, and after a two year post bac I am going to be a first year at Drexel College of Medicine in the fall!!

I just want everyone to know who is discouraged that it's possible. My first semester of college I had a 1.89 GPA, was on academic probation, got a D+ in general chemistry and a D in calculus.

If you're in any way similar to me, please be inspired. It's completely possible to get into Medical school! I am a believer!

Chris

We should feel violated. Hehe.:hardy:

Congratulations on the acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!!
At least you did not give up. You fought till the end. :D

dedication hard work and persistance, congrats.

ain't that the truth!! I went out all the time my freshman year of college, didn't give a crap about medical school... then got my act together. I swear one day my freshman year I said: from this day forward I am getting myself into medical school no matter what it takes.

And after all of the sacrifice, and not expecting, but hoping, I finally got in!!!

How did you do your soph, junior, and senior years? I figure you must've had a nice upward trend.

Wow, congratulations! If I may, what was your performance like in the last 3 years of college? Did you annihilate the MCAT?

No problem!!

Umm... throughout the rest of college I varied between a 3.5 and 3.8, depending on the semester. I did a two year formal post bac (taking undergrad science courses) and got a 4.0. I applied with a 3.5 (EXACTLY on the nose) science gpa and 3.55 overall. Then I studied for the MCAT with every single bit of my power and pulled off a 32 Q (which is good for me and I am proud of!)

Theres my story!!!

Hi Everyone!

Chris
congrats, dude!!! :thumbup: Very happy for you, sounds like you're gonna make a great doctor! we need more future doctors like you
:hardy::hardy::hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

Chris
Outstanding....way to go.

WOW! YOU ROCK!

P.S. I could use a little more motivation... gonna postpone my application till next year (again).

Your GPA looks great... you don't seem to have the same battle I did :) good luck!!!

No problem!!

Umm... throughout the rest of college I varied between a 3.5 and 3.8, depending on the semester. I did a two year formal post bac (taking undergrad science courses) and got a 4.0. I applied with a 3.5 (EXACTLY on the nose) science gpa and 3.55 overall. Then I studied for the MCAT with every single bit of my power and pulled off a 32 Q (which is good for me and I am proud of!)

Theres my story!!!
Ooo... you've certainly turned me toward a post-bacc with undergrad courses for next year instead of an expensive SMP before I reapply.

do you think you would of gotten in without doing the postbac, since your GPA was already like 3.5 in your undergrad right?

Congratulations!! We really do need more doctors like you...i wish you every success in medical school and beyond!

Congratulations man. Never stop believing in yourself and thats what happens. :thumbup:

wow congrats, its good to know hard work really does pay off ;)

:luck::luck: And how did you convince them you were going to be a success in the end? I am sure you will be, but it seems so many people are struggling?

awesome, man. well done :thumbup:

this is the type of dedication that will make you a good physician.

i dont really see what is so "outstanding" about this...

this 1.89 was only 1 freakin semester, out of his 4 years of undergrad, and he did an additional 2 years after that...

big freakin' deal.

this 1.89 was only 1 freakin semester, out of his 4 years of undergrad, and he did an additional 2 years after that...

big freakin' deal.

you post as if there's some sort of guaranteed admission for those who bounce back academically- or for those who work hard for that matter.

im pretty sure people struggling can at least gain hope from seeing his success despite the awful start-- he didn't magically receive a 3.5 overall and 32.

the 'big freakin' deal' is that he didn't let the 1.89 crush his dreams. i'm sure most people would have dropped premed after his first semester grades. he's got some guts (i.e. it takes courage to believe in yourself. the hard work you put in is an investment that it will pay off someday), determination and great will power.

OP: CONGRATS!

:luck::luck: And how did you convince them you were going to be a success in the end? I am sure you will be, but it seems so many people are struggling?

Hi there! I was asked about my freshman year GPA at EVERY single interview. I am not kidding, not one interview did someone let this glide by.

I don't have a legitimate excuse for why I did that poorly. My reason: I went out a lot, didn't make it to class, and I even missed an exam once. When they asked me about it... I told them I was not responsible by any means, and that I obviously wasn't concerned about being a doctor. I think they respected my answer.... a LOT. I gave them the truth, and I told them that I then turned it around and did the best I could do.

And...let me tell yall who have been rejected (I was rejected my first time, when I grad from undergrad I had a 3.3, after post bac 3.5) why I really think everything happens for a reason:
I think I kicked my *** so much, got involved in so many other EC's, had amazing LOR's, because I had a huge, huge mountain to overcome. Sometimes I think if I had a 3.2 my first year of college, would I have really kicked my *** as hard? Because at no point through this process have I ever thought that I "deserve" to get into medical school. Because I knew that I had a HUGE weight against me and I kept thinking I have to do everything in my power to make me stand out, everything to overcome that one damn stupid and irresponsible semester. So... in a way, it was a good semester. Because if I didn't have that semester, I most likely wouldn't have gone over and beyond what it takes, but since I had a damn 1.89, academic probation, and a D+ and D to overcome... I just plugged through and did it.

AND PS... I am not naturally that brilliant either - for those of you who are worried you can't do it! I had an 1120 on my SAT and I went to an average state school for undergrad.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations!! I am glad I can finally give back some advice to SDN after using SDN for advice all of these years :)

big freakin' deal.

boo hiss

Ooo... you've certainly turned me toward a post-bacc with undergrad courses for next year instead of an expensive SMP before I reapply.

Hi there! I saw your MDapps and I really think you would like a post bac in which you took undergrad courses, because you have a 3.3 which is what I had out of undergrad! If you take 2 years worth (and bust your butt and get A's) you can probably get your GPA up to a 3.5. I applied once when I had a 3.3 and I am not sure if I got screened out but I didn't get one dang interview. But with my 3.5 I got 9 interviews and 4 acceptances!

Keep up the good work!! If you want any more info PM me!

Congrats! You obviously have a lot of determination, (which will serve you much better the next 7-10 years than a few tenths of a point on the ol' GPA, IMO). You have a lot to be proud of. Good luck.

Congrats!

I had a below 1.0 first semester GPA. Below 2.5 at the start of my junior year. Took time off, did well on the MCAT applied with a 3.1 and got into a top 25 med school, and just recently matched into a prime residency program in one of the most competitive specialties. Hard work pays off.

Congrats!

I had a below 1.0 first semester GPA. Below 2.5 at the start of my junior year. Took time off, did well on the MCAT applied with a 3.1 and got into a top 25 med school, and just recently matched into a prime residency program in one of the most competitive specialties. Hard work pays off.

Thank you so much! And you're right.. hard work does pay off. I am glad I didn't get discouraged a lot time ago... :)

That's really good news! Lesson learned from your ex: there is hope if you work hard :D
Congratulations!!!

Congrats!

Damn. I thought I was special with my 0.7 Gpa semester in high school but you're clearly out of my league. :)

uh to the very excited Drexel matriculating student: did you do a 2 year post bac after your undergrad? If so, wasn't that very expensive?!?! I thought they are around $20, 000 a year...if so, why are you so excited that you were admitted? If you invested all that money and an extra 2 years of school ON TOP of undergrad, shouldn't you have damn well expected to get into a medical school?

Sorry to tramp on your parade, but I'm a huge believer in the bottom line...

congratulations. way to believe in yourself and make it happen. to go through those kind of vicissitudes and self doubt and achieve your goal is really inspiring.

congratulations. way to believe in yourself and make it happen. to go through those kind of vicissitudes and self doubt and achieve your goal is really inspiring.

I don't think the OP getting his ~1.8 and persevering was beyond his control.

...why I really think everything happens for a reason:
I think I kicked my *** so much, got involved in so many other EC's, had amazing LOR's, because I had a huge, huge mountain to overcome. Sometimes I think if I had a 3.2 my first year of college, would I have really kicked my *** as hard?

yes. yes! YES!! You grok what I grok! OWN your previous experiences and own your past trangressions. Never make excuses for them because they have made you who you are. This is EXACTLY how I feel. For me, it was failing one class. Admittedly it was an insanely hard class but I had never failed anything before. After that, I made a pact with myself that I would NEVER, EVER again be mediocre. I have held to that since then. Would I be as hard working as I am now, and as driven if I hadn't failed that class? Absolutely not. If you think about it this way, if I didn't fail that class, I probably would have graduated with a 2.9 and not have found my maturity and drive. I would have still been that same lazy, idiot kid that I was. Therefore, I don't regret in the slightest my failure. In fact, I am THANKFUL for it...

No problem!!

Theres my story!!!

Okay here's the post I was waiting for. My first thought was "wow he must have gotten a 38+ on the MCAT" which would be my downfall because I choke on test that will make or break you:(

But now I feel a bit more happy.

Congrats to you!