1. Backing out, 2. Civilian view of military medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banlioch

Undergrad student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I was reading one of the old posts from 2004 which discussed backing out of HPSP. A specific question was not answered, though. Let’s say that you have finished OBC and your second year of medical school. You decide that medicine is not right for you because you either hate it or fail out of medical school. You are going to leave the school. Is HPSP like a service academy where you would have to fulfill some obligation as an enlisted person now? This is an unlikely situation, but it peaked my curiosity.

2. Do civilian physicians hold any stereotypes or certain feelings towards military docs making the move to civilian practice? You hear often that military doctors on average do better on the boards than their civilian counterparts, but a low case load may mean that their experience is not as deep. For those of you who have recently crossed to the other side, were you regarded highly?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I am sorry if a two-question thread is too much of a faux pas.

Members don't see this ad.

Banlioch said:
For those of you who have recently crossed to the other side, were you regarded highly?

People don't care where you come from....how you are regarded is based on what type of physician you are.

Folks do appreciate your service to your country....many of my patients thank me when they find out that I am a veteran.....

However, if you're a schmuck....you'll still be regarded as a schmuck regardless of however many medals you wear on your chest.

militarymd said:
People don't care where you come from....how you are regarded is based on what type of physician you are.

Folks do appreciate your service to your country....many of my patients thank me when they find out that I am a veteran.....

However, if you're a schmuck....you'll still be regarded as a schmuck regardless of however many medals you wear on your chest.

Very true. However, on one of my interviews, they were aware of the low case load and wanted to pay me like I was just coming out of training, despite my 6 yrs in the AF. The reactions can be mixed. What stands out is if you've actually done something other than allow your skills to atrophy. Lots of people saw my moonlighting and other things that got me in trouble as great, and desirable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Banlioch said:
1. I was reading one of the old posts from 2004 which discussed backing out of HPSP. A specific question was not answered, though. Let’s say that you have finished OBC and your second year of medical school. You decide that medicine is not right for you because you either hate it or fail out of medical school. You are going to leave the school. Is HPSP like a service academy where you would have to fulfill some obligation as an enlisted person now? This is an unlikely situation, but it peaked my curiosity.

2. Do civilian physicians hold any stereotypes or certain feelings towards military docs making the move to civilian practice? You hear often that military doctors on average do better on the boards than their civilian counterparts, but a low case load may mean that their experience is not as deep. For those of you who have recently crossed to the other side, were you regarded highly?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I am sorry if a two-question thread is too much of a faux pas.

To answer #1,

You would most likely just have to pay back the money, although the contract says they can put you into another career field.

Banlioch said:

You will have incurred an obligation no matter what--if you really decide to leave medicine--say-- resign from med school--(something I hope you would think very carefully about!!!) you might be brought on active duty in another capacity to fulfill the service committment; you might have to pay the money back...what does your HPSP contract say?

1-If you back out, you will not be put in as an enlisted person but MAY be as a Medical Service Corps officer (at least in the Army). These are the guys that run everything in a medical unit except for actual medicine and nursing ie. Patient records, company command, logistics etc.

Then again the government may just recup the money. Either way, the US military is not a lending institution. Nowhere, not even in civilian life do you get something for nothing.

2- When you get out no one is jealous of you unless the other guy said, you are a schmuck. Schmuck is schmuck whether you were in or not.

Thanks for all of your replies.

The first one was not a very serious question on my part. I posed it because I had recently met someone that left medschool halfway through to pursue a Master's in Public Health. That just seemed bizarre to me, and I thought I'd see how that scenario would play out for an HPSPer.

I'm not actually at risk for dropping out or anything. I am only a senior undergrad looking at the Army HPSP and want all the info. I've always been interested in joining the military one way or the other. If/when I enter the whole program, I understand that it is an important decision where backing out of would demonstrate immaturity and unpreparedness.

Again, thank you for your help in feeding my curiosities and legitimate questions.