DV-T

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Genuinely curious about this. Just found out that some IIs allow the applicant to bring a guest. Honestly, first thing that came to mind when I heard this was 'helicopter parenting.'

I can understand bringing guests to a graduation/white coat ceremony, but to an interview?

Can someone enlighten me with the reasons why some schools allow for this option?

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
I hope that the +1s are given a separate tour, away from the applicants. With so many non-trads, many +1s may be spouses/SOs. Hopefully many aren't overbearing parents.

Reactions: gyngyn

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I'd love to know where this is happening!
You can PM me if you don't want to go public...

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads

Glubad

2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Genuinely curious about this. Just found out that some IIs allow the applicant to bring a guest. Honestly, first thing that came to mind when I heard this was 'helicopter parenting.'

I can understand bringing guests to a graduation/white coat ceremony, but to an interview?

Can someone enlighten me with the reasons why some schools allow for this option?
The only school I've heard of this happening for was USUHS (and even then I suspect it was meant more for significant others than parents). In this case it makes sense since it's not just a school that you're choosing to join, but also the military. That sort of decision and commitment seems like more of a family decision rather than an individual one because of the lifestyle you are committing to, and so I can understand allowing guests who may be concerned or want to learn more about this commitment to attend with the interviewee.

OP
D

DV-T

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I will PM you, but a couple of posters on the school specific thread mentioned it. I didn't believe the first poster, but another confirmed that many schools do so.

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
I mean, this is probably meant for spouses...and it's not like they'd come into the interview room with the applicant, they'd probably just go on the tour and learn about the school along with the applicant. Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

OP
D

DV-T

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I mean, this is probably meant for spouses...and it's not like they'd come into the interview room with the applicant, they'd probably just go on the tour and learn about the school along with the applicant. Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.
I agree that for a spouse, then it's reasonable (assuming the applicant is married). But for a traditional applicant fresh out of college, bringing a parent might give a bad impression?

SuaveCardigans

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree that for a spouse, then it's reasonable (assuming the applicant is married). But for a traditional applicant fresh out of college, bringing a parent might give a bad impression?
Yea, one should be acting like an adult on these things. Mom needs to stay at home

Reactions: Goro
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
You are not Forced to bring +1 to interview, are you? Then I think no need to worry about it if you don't want your parents present anyway.
In general, bringing a parent may not give a bad impression, but overwhelming exceptions always exist. I really knew some parents are just embarrassing.
So, if you don't feel comfortable to bring your parents to the site for whatever reasons, then just don't do it. Simple and Easy.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension

+1s just cramp your flirting with your fellow interviewees during downtime.

Reactions: SuaveCardigans

sliceofbread136

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2011
I remember I had a significant other take a tour while I was interviewing, I wouldn't recommend it as it was just another thing to deal with.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net

I think this is better for Second Look than for interview day.

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Idk people always talk about these helicopter parents who continue to be overly-involved even when the kid is in med school, but I think this is much rarer than people make it out to be. I cannot imagine any of my classmates bringing their parents to an interview. Some people I know occasionally ask their doctor parents for help when they don't understand a concept or they want to learn more about a disease that their parents are knowledgeable about, but that's about it.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Idk people always talk about these helicopter parents who continue to be overly-involved even when the kid is in med school, but I think this is much rarer than people make it out to be. I cannot imagine any of my classmates bringing their parents to an interview. Some people I know occasionally ask their doctor parents for help when they don't understand a concept or they want to learn more about a disease that their parents are knowledgeable about, but that's about it.
I've yet to see it once. If I had, I'd heckle the **** out of said parents, my god they need to let their kids grow up.

Reactions: Lannister

Carmiche

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
A few Texas schools have given this option when scheduling interviews. Some specify that the guest should be a spouse/significant other. Most also note that they are welcome to attend every aspect of interview day outside of the interview proper.

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
i quite often see a parent sitting in the lobby the entire interview day, I don't understand why they even walked in the building. Drop your kid off and go to starbucks. Better yet, loan your adult kid the car and stay at the hotel/home

Reactions: Goro and gyngyn

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
Haha my dad helped drive me to a lot of my interviews which was great logistically, I hope you wouldn't have heckled him
This happens a lot and is fine as long as the parent is just driving or a driving companion...and is not with the applicant during the interview day. The parent should spend that time doing something else, checking out the city or just relaxing in a hotel room.

Reactions: gyngyn
OP
D

DV-T

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Only time I have seen parents hovering around during this whole medical school process was a bunch waiting outside the MCAT testing center as their kids registered, during breaks in between the exam, and lunch. And I thought that was a bit much.

About the Ads