1 in 2 chance of admission!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought you'd all like to read a recent email from the pre-med advisor at my school regarding this year's chances of admission:

New data from AMCAS as of Oct 19 is great news for those of you applying
to medical school this year.
The number of applications has been running about 45,000 in recent years
for 16,000 medical school slots. That gives applicants a 1 in 3 chance.

But look at the numbers for this year's applicants. Only 26,706
applications have been submitted so far and they expect no more than
32,800 (and considering how late it is, I think that number is
optimistic!). That's a 1 in 2 chance. Some medical schools have
announced that they are extending their deadlines. That means they are
worried too.

Number of Persons initiating applications on-line: 40,291
Number of Applicants submitting completed applications to AMCAS: 26,706

Number of Applicants expected to submit completed applications: 32,800

This is really a sudden change. It may reflect students' impatience with
all the bugs in the new WEB applcation and maybe all those missing
people will show up in next year's numbers. Or maybe it's a sign of
things to come.

Members don't see this ad.

Whooppee!!!! :D :D :D :D Like I said in another thread, we deserve a little bonus for what AMCAs has put us through!!! :) :)

yeah...it's strange though that all of this AMCAS turmoil may actually increase chances of med school admission!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy to see that the AMCAS fiasco has siphoned off those who are not passionate about a career in medicine. I hope I am correct in assuming that those who took the time to complete the aweful application have a more genuine interest. Even though stats may be down a little, this could be one of the best first year classes ever. :D

I hope it is like this when I apply!! :D

Good luck to everyone..I wish it was me!

Alicia

Of the 16,000 spots or so that are available, how many are reserved for individuals who have been accepted via accelerated BS/MD programs? I know that those applicants don't go through AMCAS, yet they certainly count towards that 16,000 number. Essentially what I'm asking is how many seats are really available at the start of every application cycle?

md2be06,

I like your sig... ;)

Good question, however..

Alicia

How is the AMCAS application more difficult? Seems easier to actually complete than last year, at least to me. The problems all come after you file.

Hey this is great...the benefits will be with us for all 4 years when it comes time for residency slots! Cool stuff.

Originally posted by none:
•How is the AMCAS application more difficult? Seems easier to actually complete than last year, at least to me. The problems all come after you file.•

When I applied, it literally took HOURS to insert material as simple as coursework. I applied last year and think that this year's app was about 5X as troublesome. Most of my problems occurred WHILE filling out the app.

Do you think this trend will carry over to osteopathic schools as well?

Originally posted by none:
•How is the AMCAS application more difficult? Seems easier to actually complete than last year, at least to me. The problems all come after you file.•

For people who tried to submit in June and July, the bugs in the application were horrendous! It took me an entire afternoon just to download and print the forms for transcript requests. And then, of course, there were the hours spent just trying to access the application. Just thinking back on it makes me :mad: all over again!