1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

1 Month MCAT Re-take Advice

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by GoZags, Aug 6, 2011.

1. GoZags

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello all. So I took the July 29 MCAT and when I walked out of there I was pretty discouraged so I decided to keep studying and I've signed up for the September 1 MCAT date just in case. I have Kaplan On Demand and have obviously finished all of the material but how should I stay up to date on all of my information? Should I be taking Section Tests and Practice Sections? Or should I just go back over the information? I'm trying to employ a good strategy to ensure that next month won't feel so bad although I was getting 33's and 34's on my Kaplans and AAMCs I just don't think the real deal went that well.

Thanks for the advice

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tman5890

tman5890 Fiery Devotion
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think you're rushing into this a bit too quickly. You just took the MCAT 2 weeks ago. Most people feel terrible after they take the MCAT (check out any of the test date threads) but they end up doing around their average or even better. You should just wait another couple of weeks until you receive your score to jump the gun. I'm guessing you're not applying this cycle since the test is so late, so you'll have plenty of time to study for a retake after you get your score. You'll probably get around your average :thumbup:

4. GoZags

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah I have taken this into consideration about rushing into things. The only problem is that I ran out of time on PS and had to guess on probably ~5-6 questions which is a great way to plummet your score very quickly. Felt alright about VR and BS. I suppose its more or less a safety net in case I scored absolutely terribly because my practice test score average like I mentioned was probably 31-32 ish.

I am applying this cycle actually. I have submitted AMCAS and awaiting verification (should be next week) and planned on having MCAT scores roll in accordingly. Applied last cycle too with secondaries submitted in November/December and still had 3 interviews (and also a pretty low MCAT all things considered). So this time around I'll be ahead of where I was last year and I have significantly improved my app in the last year as well so I figured it would still be a good idea to apply this cycle.

5. tman5890

tman5890 Fiery Devotion
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I see. Well, taking that into consideration you can start studying again. You'll need new material. You can always call Kaplan to have them extend your on demand course so that you can use the q bank to your advantage. Just try to make sure you go through the content you felt weak in first and then just practice lots.

6. GoZags

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks Tman. I completely agree with rushing into things usually isn't the best strategy and definitely respect that but given the circumstances I wanted to forge ahead. Anyways, yeah I'll make sure and do all of the topical tests and fire up that Q-bank. Thanks for the advice

7. tman5890

tman5890 Fiery Devotion
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good luck! :thumbup::thumbup: Hope you don't even have to retake!

8. GoZags

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    +1

You and me both!

9. NCMED101

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not to hijack your thread or anything but I am in a similar position except that I voided my first attempt after not finishing the verbal section. I was wondering if it would be worth redoing any of the AAMC tests? I assume its not since I took them like 3 weeks ago. I am taking Sept 1 exam as well

10. GoZags

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not hijacking lol, and even if you did I wouldn't really care! And How much did you not finish? I mean I guessed on probably ~5 questions at the end of PS, straight up ran out of time. I've read plenty of threads with people who did the same and ended up with like 13's on the section so I guess there's hope but then again I'm not planning on it.

Friend of mine consistently had to guess on an entire verbal passage because he was a slow reader and got an 8 on his verbal which isn't great but its just at the mark, he blasted the sciences and ended up with a good score so who knows.

And re-taking AAMCs isn't worth it...you remember the passages and questions = not a good predictor. I actually re-took practice AAMCs that I took over a year ago and even remembered some questions/passages there. I wouldn't recommend it. Try purchasing separate tests if you have the $$!

11. NCMED101

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yea i feel like I did pretty bad. For my test the PS was a killer for me and I guessed on ~5 straight up as well. This killed my hopes and this carried over to the VR section. I had approximately 5 min to do 2 passages so I just decided to void then. I have 4 Kaplan Fls left which I could take but heard that 10 and 11 were a waste of time since they were too difficult. I guess I can do section tests to practice.