1 Rad Onc LoR and 1 Away Enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amphatoast21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my 4th year of med school and recently became interested in radiation oncology. With ERAS submission coming up, I would realistically only be able to gather 1 LoR from radiation oncology. Would that be enough, assuming that the other letters (1 from IM, 1 from research) are strong? If relevant, scored around 250 on Step 1 and honored most of my clerkships. Have a few pubs, but not in rad onc. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Would strongly consider doing a second rotation in Rad Onc and getting a letter, even if it's in august, september, or october.

So 2 letters in rad onc would be necessary to have a decent chance of matching? Would October be too late to get the second letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what your chances are without it, but yes your chances would be much better IMO with at least 2. No. Historical guidance says most PDs don't look too closely at ERAS until after ASTRO, which is in mid october. If you got a letter in by the end of October you might be marginally worse off, but not significantly.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the helpful tips - what's ASTRO in October? Is that a conference?

I just started my 4th year of med school and recently became interested in radiation oncology. With ERAS submission coming up, I would realistically only be able to gather 1 LoR from radiation oncology. Would that be enough, assuming that the other letters (1 from IM, 1 from research) are strong? If relevant, scored around 250 on Step 1 and honored most of my clerkships. Have a few pubs, but not in rad onc. Thanks in advance.

Yes, the ASTRO meeting being in late October this year should significantly help your cause in getting a late letter in. Historically there are very few interview invitations sent out before then. Try to have two - it's definitely better than one even if a little later.