1 week to surgery shelf, miserably failing NBME. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSReed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Miserably failing. Like "took NBME6 this AM and got a 10 (41%)" failing.

Idk what I did wrong, looking for ways to somehow salvage this. First shelf, so that's not helping. Did almost all of Amboss, listened to Holliday 2x and Dr HY. Currently in process with Pestana (residents initially told me textbooks aren't good study material, that was terrible advice). I took step1 3 months ago and got 230s, so I'm pretty sure I have the innate capacity to pass.

What I think are the issues:

1. Inconsistencies in questions: One question, 90/50 is considered unstable. The literal next question, 80/40 is stable enough for a HIDA scan. Make that make sense, please.
2. Picking between treatment modalities: for example, in a patient with PAD, doing an angioplasty vs a graft vs an endarterectomy. Finding that explanations don't really cover why the other answers are wrong.
3. Lacking algorithms: TBH I'm still looking for a place where the workup for any given presentation (ex. ovarian mass) is written in a diagram for quick reference. I've tried to recreate these on my own from doing tons of questions, but its hard to capture all the different criteria from the questionably-worded explanations.
4. Just terrible with podcasts: everyone keeps suggesting podcasts. I tried Divine, I'm just too much of a visual person for it to even register.
5. Trying to figure out if its unprofessional for me to reach out to the chief resident and ask if they have any institutional resources (bc school has literally nothing until I actualy fail).

Appreciate all suggestions, thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Miserably failing. Like "took NBME6 this AM and got a 10 (41%)" failing.

Idk what I did wrong, looking for ways to somehow salvage this. First shelf, so that's not helping. Did almost all of Amboss, listened to Holliday 2x and Dr HY. Currently in process with Pestana (residents initially told me textbooks aren't good study material, that was terrible advice). I took step1 3 months ago and got 230s, so I'm pretty sure I have the innate capacity to pass.

What I think are the issues:

1. Inconsistencies in questions: One question, 90/50 is considered unstable. The literal next question, 80/40 is stable enough for a HIDA scan. Make that make sense, please.
2. Picking between treatment modalities: for example, in a patient with PAD, doing an angioplasty vs a graft vs an endarterectomy. Finding that explanations don't really cover why the other answers are wrong.
3. Lacking algorithms: TBH I'm still looking for a place where the workup for any given presentation (ex. ovarian mass) is written in a diagram for quick reference. I've tried to recreate these on my own from doing tons of questions, but its hard to capture all the different criteria from the questionably-worded explanations.
4. Just terrible with podcasts: everyone keeps suggesting podcasts. I tried Divine, I'm just too much of a visual person for it to even register.
5. Trying to figure out if its unprofessional for me to reach out to the chief resident and ask if they have any institutional resources (bc school has literally nothing until I actualy fail).

Appreciate all suggestions, thx.
The surgery shelf absolutely blows but it’s passable obviously. I would read through pestana over 2 days and then do the practice questions. When doing the practice questions refer back to the sections it mentions. That should be enough to pass tbh especially with Amboss and the other stuff you mentioned

Reactions: 1 user
Feel like you're missing the big ones, Uworld + OME

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surgical decision making is a book that has algorithms but I wouldn’t use it with just one week left.

I would stick to UWorld and honestly First Aid as well. FA will have things organised in a way that will allow you to make contrasts quickly esp for high yield topics like GI, Renal, Pulm, etc. I would also add DynaMed vs UpToDate for a searchable database.

ACLS guidelines will also be super high yield.

In my mind, those would be things that would allow you to pick up enough points to at least pass. It’s also possible that you just didn’t test well on that SIngular NBME because you just weren’t having the best testing day but are otherwise totally fine to pass or even do well. With a 230 on step you have a lot for the foundation already

Reactions: 1 users
I created the following google drive to save Clinicals students crucial study time.
All the notes are updated routinely and marked by the update month/year.

Hope this helps!!

REMS drive
Contains Shelf exam notes, High yield Derm review pdf, patient presentation, soap note examples, basic EKG guide and updates USPSTF guidelines
REMS Shelf Exams and CK - Google Drive