Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

1 year master programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wingy, Dec 19, 2001.

1. wingy

wingy Member

I was wondering if anyone knew any schools with a 1 year master program? Also, are there any schools with a combined MD/Masters in Public Health? If so, can you please list the schools?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member

Nope, not in science or public health anyway. Quite a few. Sorry, I've got a medical genetics final pretty quick.

4. AmateurChef

AmateurChef Health policy consultant

Hi --

There are TONS of schools with MD/MPH programs...off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that Yale, Duke, Tufts, OHSU, Case Western, UCLA, Harvard, and a few dozen other schools ofter the MD/MPH.

Most schools will have information about combined degree programs on their website.

5. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member

Wingy,

You can just go to the medical school website and click on the combined degree programs. If they list MD/MPH, then you are set. Or you might want to try <a href="http://www.aamc.org" target="_blank">www.aamc.org</a> and they will have the list. I know for sure Yale and Columbia have it. Good luck!

6. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member

I know that there are one year programs that offer some master's degrees. Dartmouth has one that I am aware of.

Many schools will let you get an MPH - many times between years 2 and 3 - even if the school of public health is not associated with the same institution as the med school. For instance, UC Davis allows you to spend a year at UC Berkeley in their School of PH getting an MPH. Even if it is not advertised, it is still possible.

One thing to keep in mind. Schools of PH will allow medical docs to do the program in one year, but you get more out of two year program. Quicker is not always better. Hopefully you are interested in the knowledge gained and not the diploma on your wall :)

7. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

Washington University has 5 yr BS/MS, and programs for transferring. That may be similar to 1 yr MS if you have the right qualifications

8. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member

I have recently done some research on this as I would like to eventually do a combined MD/MPH program. The following schools offer 4-yr combined programs:

Tufts
    Boston U
    Duke
    GW
    Northwestern

And the following offer 5-yr combined programs:

Harvard
    Emory
    Johns Hopkins
    Virginia Commonwealth University (5-6yrs)
    Ohio State U
    Univ of Michigan
    Tulane
    UCSD
    USC
    Univ. Washington

This is not a comprehensive list as I have eliminated for myself some state schools for which I would not be eligible or which accepted like 95% in-state residents, but its a start. Just another thing to note, it seems that MPH vary greatly in emphasis and reputation - the program is not standard by any means.

9. BeeGee

BeeGee Member

A lot of STATE schools have 1 year Master's programs. I think that you'll have to go with the non-thesis option though. It took me 1.5 years only because I wanted to finish my thesis. However, I was offered the option of graduation without defending a thesis after 1 full year of coursework.