1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

1-year Master's programs?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kareniw, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Hi all,

I plan to reapply for med school and am just discovering the 1-year Master's programs, e.g. Georgetown (http://www.georgetown.edu/departments/physiology/physios/deptpage.htm), in which you take classes with 1st year med students. I have several questions regarding these:

1) Georgetown encourages you to apply immediately before enrolling in their program. In my case this means no change to my AMCAS application whatsoever, except to say I am enrolled in the program. I don't even have grades to show for it. What differences does that make when applying to schools other than Georgetown?

2) If/when you do get accepted to a med school, can you waive out of the first year of classes and catch up with year 2's?

Thanks,
    Karen

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MD-bound

MD-bound Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Kareniw,

I only know a little about the Georgetown program, but I hear that first of all it is really competitve, and since they do quite a bit of screening up front, a lot of the people who go there probably have a decent profile, but just need something to help them get in--ie graduate work, proof of success in medical school coursework.

I would definitely call up the school and investigate a lot more--try and get them to introduce you to some students who are in the program now or who have matriculated to the medical school.

Also you should be aware that there are other programs out there similar to this one, but with different catches. There is one at Tulane--a master's in Pharm, one at Chicago Med--a master's in Physio, and one at Boston University a master's in Medical Sciences. Each has its own successes and like I said catches. I hope you really take some time to research the programs and choose the one that is right for you--because I think they can really help students out. Feel free to post questions if you need more info.

Good luck and keep up the fight!!! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by MD-bound (edited March 27, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by MD-bound (edited March 27, 2001).]

4. BigBill

BigBill Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

There is als one at MCV/VCU that is really the same thing. Right now is a good time to apply. Their program is on their website if you want to take a look.

------------------

5. Lubdub

Lubdub Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Karen,

The program at GTown, is 1yr -no thesis master's degree. Avg stats are about a 3.3cum and 29 mcats. The program is about a 100 students, it lasts from one summer to the next. Graduates have a great chance of getting into medical school (about 10 students get into GTOWN med!). The great thing about the program is taking first year classes with GeorgeTown Medical students. This gives you a real chance to prove Adcoms that you can handle medschools. So If you do well, it can really do wonders, on the other hand, if you do poorly, i think it could set you back a good bit. To graduate from the program you must have a B (3.0) avg, not that easy though. To get a B, you have to be in the upper 50% of all your classes (i.e. outperform 50% of Gtown med students).
    If you do get admitted to medschool after masters, you can't waive any of your 1st year classes, but you will have an edge over fellow classmates.

With respect to the program at VCU, it's actually a 2yr program! The first year you take ALL of your physiology classes, at this point you can graduate with a certificate or opt to complete a thesis (usually about 1yr) to receive your masters. Good luck with school!

~Lubdub

6. EricCSU

EricCSU Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Also, check out the Plan B Anatomy and Neurobiology M.S. program at Colorado State. It is all pre-meds and pre-vets. You take 30 credits of graduate work (non-thesis) in one of the best Anatomy programs in the country and it significantly increases your chances for admission upon reapplying. You need to take the GRE though.

www.cvmbs.colostate.edu

click on "Anatomy and Neurobiology", then "Master's Program"

Eric

7. Catherine

Catherine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

These programs are just a method for private schools to generate more income. They are usually run by schools without an undergrad program, which robs them of income from a post-bacc program.

They take in eager pre-med students and offer them the carrot of an improved application profile. Often these programs take a percentage of their students directly into their med program.

The scam is the 90% who still don't get in have paid a fortune for a next to useless qualification. Even better is that you get to pay again for many courses you've just taken.

8. BigBill

BigBill Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Have to disagree with you on this one, the classes at mcv or as in medical college of Virginia are taken from the same instructors who teach pharmacy biochem and med school biochem. The classes are all graduate degree and go towards a Masters degree if you so decide. They are all taken at the medical school. Also,I fail to see how a MS in biochemistry is useless. If you didnt get into medschool then you would stand a good shot at law school(patent attorney,DNA attorney) or get into a reputable MBA program. I can see where Georgetown would be a better option than MCV because in one year you have a masters yet you have to consider the cost. Most students who did well at the programs at MCV got in. And when a university such as MCV or georgetown puts their name to it I couldnt think that it hasnt passed some form of accreditation. Check the programs out you have to score well on the mcat or gre. This doesnt sound like a scam.

------------------

9. BigBill

BigBill Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

One more thing, MCV is a state run school and the fourth largest in the nation. So is colorado state and I think Boston university. Also many schools have a non-thesis track masters. Would schools like this scam their students?

------------------

10. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I doubt the people in my class that did the MCV Anatomy program think it was a scam. They are 2 months from "MD". They also didn't have to take any of the anatomy lab exams during M1. Talk about having extra time.

------------------
    Rob
    4th year med student at MCV/VCU in Virginia. Matched to Pathology at MCV.

11. Catherine

Catherine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My apologies - engaging my mouth / pen before my brain. Sometimes I look at my previous posts and wish I hadn't posted them. But I never remove them.

The only experience I have of such programs is the one offered by Finch / Chicago Med. I don't know if they still offer it. At the time I just felt they were taking advantage of students who failed to get into med school.