1 Year MPH program if no acceptances: Is this the best alternative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wyldstyle2000

Hey guys,

I was hoping that someone can help me out here. I have interviewed and been waitlisted at one school and will be reviewed for an alternate position at another in June after sending out 10 secondaries, but I have been looking into possible ways to improve my application should I not be accepted this year (only one school hasn't responded to my secondary
frown.gif
). My GPA and MCATs aren't that great (3.44, 3.47 for cum,sci) and (10V,8P,11B M), biochem major. My letters of rec are pretty good, but none from a physician though I have some experience in a hospital and college EMT.

Anyhow, I'm applying to an MPH program that can be completed in one year on the East Coast. The admissions director who used to be on a medical school's admissions committee says that it can only strengthen my application, and says my MCAT's are fine, but maybe she was referring in relation to using them to get into the MPH program. However, I'll be spending a lot on tuition and living costs (I'm from Cali), and I don't think it will guarantee me a medical school admission for Fall 2002.

Do you guys have any better suggestions possibly? I really don't want to retake the MCAT (barf)and I'm not really a fan of post-bac programs.

Thanks,
wyldstyle
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

When I didn't get in, I talked to dean of admissions and asked for his recommendations. He said, taking challenging upper division courses (such as immunology, biochemistry, physiology, genetics, etc)would be more favorable than getting an MPH. I think the reason for this is because everyone generally gets A's and B's in the MPH program while taking some advanced classes would show the committee I had the ability to do well in challenging courses. Furthermore, I got additional recommendation letters which replaced the letters from my undergraduate school and I worked with a physician who wrote me an outstanding letter. I would take more classes locally and work with a doctor rarther than spending a lot of money to move out East. However, I would talk to somebody from the medical admissions committee first. Another possiblity would be to apply to a structuted program such as MCP Hahnemann where they accept people who did not get into medical school and allow them to take 1st year classes with regular medical students. At the end of the year,if you do well, some of the students are accepted to Hahnemann and most of the other students are accepted to other medical schools.

Hmm...I have to agree somewhat with that statement. The regional interviewer of one of the two med schools I interviwed with recommended the same thing in terms of taking "hard sciences" classes although via a post-bac program. She was on the adcom, but not a physician. At first I thought she was full of it. I had a B+'s and an A in those classes you mentioned but I still felt I was a strong student. I've graduated and I'm trying to figure a way to take advanced classes while working full time. The only advantage w/an MPH is that you can take out a large loan easily to help you out and give you time to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still think you can get loans even if you are not in an MPH program. (As long as you are enrolled half time) Also, I don't think you need to enroll in an "official" post bac program. I just took advanced courses at a local university and called it a "post bac" program on my applcation.

there are quite a few colleges in california that offer mph degrees, why didn't you apply to those schools? it makes no sense to move all the way to east coast. the degree is still the same it doesn't matter where you got it.

Hmmm...I don't believe that any of the ones in California are 1 year long. I want to complete it before entry into med school for Fall 2002 if I don't get in for Fall 2001.

wyldtyle

If anyone would be so kind as to post which exact schools have one year MPH programs, I would be most appreciative. Many thanks in advance.

You can complete a MPH at Univ. of South Florida specializing in Epi or Infectious diseases in one year.

As far as it helping you get in, I think it depends on whether or not the school also has a med school. I got my MPH in one year from Tulane and have spoken with the Dean of Admissions at the med school and he said that they look favorably on SPH grads.

I am finishing a public health masters degree at and have thought long and hard about how it impacted the admissions process. I would say that the Medical School associated with the same university as the School of Public Health (SPH) I am currently attendingn does not at all look favorable on SPH graduates, in part because there is some antagonism between the medical and the public health philosophy. I would also add that you should only pursue the degree if it will truly add to your career, whether you end up being a physician or not. Although I am definitely going to be reapplying next year, I think that public health could always be a good back-up plan if things don't work out with medical school. It is a lot of money so be sure that it is something you feel strongly about -- you certainly should not do it to pass the time or because you think it will help you get into medical school. There are other things that you can do instead, that will enrich you more than a masters degree will. I generally believe that one should do things because of a deep passion or interest, rather than worrying about how it will shape your chances of being accepted to medical school. Medical school admissions, in mind opinion, has an element of chance, regardless of what you have or have not done.

Hmm...after what you said, I will have to deeply consider my options. I must not though that I like your screen name, "Serendipity." It seems like a microcosm at times for the medical school application process.
smile.gif

if you are in the southern california area, especially los angeles, you should check out loma linda university. they have one year mph program. www.llu.edu/llu

the only thing is that it is a seventh day adventist college, so you are required to participate church events.

for me, all the classes that i took didn't help to improve my science gpa. and do schools don't consider math as science! how stupid is that.

so, what would be the best thing to do during a year off to go ahead and boost your application? i go to a small liberal arts college in so cal, and i didn't think that taking additional classes outside of the school would enhance my science GPA... am i wrong??? i'm consiering the MPH at loma linda or UCLA... although i've also applied out of state. i just feel so lost...

my advice....whatever you decide to do, make sure you volunteer in a clinical setting. It's more important than most premeds think.