1 year of english requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering about the english requirements needed at most dental schools. I go to the University of Washington in Seattle and there are classes titled Comparative Literature. I am thinking about taking a class called "Literature and Culture." Does anyone know if these classes would count toward my one year of english requirement?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Although most schools prefer composition courses, I think any course in English will be sufficient. At my undergrad institution we had a variety of cross-listed courses that were 'writing-intensive' and folks have had no problem in the past meeting the requirement of schools through such courses. By the way, the course sounds interesting...I wish I was an undergrad again!!

Hey Yams,

I'm also a student at the University of Washington. I took a couple of composition and some literature classes. I really don't think schools will scrutinize you that much, but you should call and make sure what each school requires. I took some interesting classes that also overlapped the english genre (bible as literature; Ancient Indian Literature, etc.). Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
As was already posted, most schools are thinking of 1) freshman literature and 2) upper-division writing, or advanced writing, course when they mention the two classes of English requirement.

Certainly other classes can fulfill this requirement. As a general rule of thumb, try to complete a technical writing type class as your advanced writing course. Even if you don't use it in dental school, it is nice to be able how to properly create memos, formal letters, research items, etc.

I'm an English major, so my head swims in this stuff all day. My desi friend, who did you take the Bible as Lit class from? I took it at UDub also.

ItsgavinC-

Thanks for the help, but I am just wondering where the technical writing classes are listed under? I found some under the engineering school, but you have to be an engineering major in order to take them. The same goes for business.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
My desi friend, who did you take the Bible as Lit class from? I took it at UDub also.

Gavin,

My most favorite English professor in the whole-wide world: Dr. John Griffith. One of the best professors I have ever had. I'm pretty sure you had him, since he loves to teach that class. I took his class last summer.

DesiDentist