1 Year of English

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Encrypted

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most medical schools require 1 year of english.

At Uconn, there is only a semester of general english, so does this mean I'm supposed to take another semester of some arbitrary english course to make the year requirement?

Edit: I'll be taking like 4 other "writing intensive" courses which wont be english. Do you think they will count?

Members don't see this ad.

Most medical schools require 1 year of english.

At Uconn, there is only a semester of general english, so does this mean I'm supposed to take another semester of some arbitrary english course to make the year requirement?

Yes, to be safe. Some schools require one year in English department classes. It's a good idea to meet the requirements of the most pre-req stringent med schools so that you'll be eligible at as many schools as possible.

I don't know what's considered 'general english' at your school, but I'd suggest taking a writing course with the English department, and a literature class with the English department. If 'general english' is a writing class, take a literature class in addition, and visa versa. If it's both, then pick one and take another class on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think a general freshman composition course and a technical writing course would be a better choice than taking a pointless literature class......but that's just me.

anything that has a ENG or LIT in the course code...is what you want!

Take an extra "ENG" or "LIT" course just to be safe. A philosophy course that is writing intensive, for example, won't count. Technically there are lots of classes you will probably take where you write a good amount, and all of your classes will be taught in english, so when they say english, they mean a course in the English dept. of your school. Take a literature course...those usually have less intense writing than a course that is straight-up composition, and I actually find them interesting, but maybe that's just me.

Personally, I think a general freshman composition course and a technical writing course would be a better choice than taking a pointless literature class......but that's just me.

I thought technical writing does not count towards the English premed requirement, and I believe they do want a balance between English composition and literature. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just as an FYI, I've taken College Writing (freshman year course in the english writing department (ENGLWRIT)) and Writing in Microbiology (junior year course under the microbiology department (MICROBIO)). The later has certainly been involving technical writing and I have not had a problem with any schools (and I've applied to pretty mainstream MD schools), so you definately don't need two courses in the english department. Just make sure they are writing/english classes and you shouldnt have an issue.

If you really want to be sure, talk to the schools, or just suck it up and take 2 english classes. I took a course called "writing for the health professions" but I was told that because it was in the communications department, I'd have to take another english class in the english department.
it's so silly...of all classes, I'd think that writing for the health professions would be the most helpful.

I took an English 201: Strategies in Academic Writing (a composition course), and Honors 200: War Stories for my literature course. It was good enough to get in.

The "premed" curriculum recommended at both of the schools I attended was freshman comp and technical writing, but then again you were also required to take a lit course to fulfill gen ed bull**** requirements unless you were a non-science major then you were exempt from the lit requirement (since most of the non-science programs require some form of lit specific to that program).

anything that has a ENG or LIT in the course code...is what you want!

Careful with this, some places are sticklers about the english. I know of people who were told by some schools that a "Literature" course didn't suffice if not actually offered by the english department. Make sure you know your target schools exact requirements or take english courses to be safe.

I was told by my advisor that my First Year Seminar writing course would satisfy one of the English requirements. (But this course is not listed as LIT of ENG)...

does this sound right?

I was told by my advisor that my First Year Seminar writing course would satisfy one of the English requirements. (But this course is not listed as LIT of ENG)...

does this sound right?

I was told the same by my pre-med advisor, and she was wrong. Some schools (Mt. Sinai, to name one) require one year of classes in the English department. I was unable to apply there as a result.

Hmm, I guess it depends on the course and school. I'll contact the schools personally then to find out.

Edit: At Uconn I'll probably be taking Engl 110, I got a 3 on the AP exam for this(English in Composition). And I'll probably take Engl 205 which is British Literature.

does this sound right?
my seminar lit course counted as my lit course

is "The modern Novel" hard at uconn? how much work is it and whats the class like? what about "the short story" or "THe modern novel" which should i take that will give me the least amount of things to worry about considering im already taking a lot of hard classes

would a course in the Comparative Literature department (listed as COMPLIT) work too?

i'm trying to get something done over the summer at my school.