1 year of General Chem at CAL??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noowen321

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...what did you guys who go to CAL put down as your courses used to fulfill the 1 year general chem requirement on the secondaries? I only took chem 1A, 3A, and 3B like most of you.

Members don't see this ad.

you can put down 1a, 3a as the year of gchem and 3b + any upperdiv biochem class(ex.mcb102) as the year of ochem. If you want more info, feel free to IM me or email me. I work with Patti Meyer and I know that you shouldn't have any problem with appying with those classes.

I suggest against doing what the other person just said...b/c many schools say explicitly that they won't take biochem as an organic chemistry.

SO, what I did is put only chem 1a (and chem 130A w/ no lab) on gen. chem section and then added a line that said "see attached letter"...
Go and get the letter from the career center signed by patty meyer and then make 30 or so copies of it and send it out to EVERY school when you send in your pic or secondary or whatever.
Most schools know that if you are coming from Berkeley you will have a good science background and they will not deny you just b/c you took one semester of gen. chem. (personal communication, patty meyer)...damn, i have been writing too many research things lately..haha...
okay, so just do that..and put it in the mail..and don't worry about it...I would be very hesitant at putting chem 3a under gen chem b/c on my amcas app i explicitly called it "organic chemistry"...soooo, i didn't want to put it under gen. chem....
but i guess it's all up to you...
let me know what you decide to do!
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice....i guess i'll call patti on tuesday for the letter.

noowen, did you take mcb100 or 102? I put down 100 as my second semester gchem (although in retrospect maybe I should have used chem130 like scooby, but whatever) and Patti said that should be fine. Just a thought! :p