Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

1 year off or 2?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dsp, Oct 27, 2002.

1. dsp

dsp Member
    7+ Year Member

anybody have any suggestions? i am not sure if i should get some job for 1 year off and apply (i am graduating from college in may) or if i should commit to a two year job, like one of these teaching jobs. Will it be hard to get back into the groove of studyign after two years, or will i emerge refreshed?
    thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. banannie

banannie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

definitely 2. it will be hard to simultaneously deal with graduating, starting a new job, finding a place to live, *and* applying. people who return to school after working a while tend to be more driven and less distracted. if you're concerned about losing your edge, you can always take night classes. plus, you will have more interesting things to talk about when interview time comes (and some publications under your belt if you do research) if you have been working for over a year rather than a few months.

4. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

5. dsp

dsp Member
    7+ Year Member

any other advice? people who took 1 year or 2 or more and how you felt coming back?

6. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took 2 years off as I am doing an MPH.

I think it would be really hard to significantly improve your application in only one year - so I say go for two.

7. tryingagain

tryingagain Soon to have no life
    10+ Year Member

I took 2 years off (actually 2.5) and it has been the best decision I have ever made. I now own a surgical implant business that does about 2 mill a year in sales. It has given me incredible insight into medicine and doctors. I have been accepted and will start my second "career" in fall 2003. Definitely take 2 years off. It took me that to get out of the college mode.

8. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Like AdCadet, I am also pursuing an MPH. After college, I worked as a psychometrician for a clinical trial that is examining the preventive role of anti-inflammatory medications in Alzheimer's Disease. After doing that for a year, I decided to pursue an MPH. I plan to apply to MD and DO programs for 2004 admission. While applying, I plan to take a couple advanced science courses just to get back into the swing of things.

Time off will allow you to gain additional experience and enjoy the multitude of opportunities out there before committing to the medical school marathon!

INE

9. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

$2 million? Are you serious? Wow! Sounds like you won't have too much trouble paying for med school. ;)

10. Adcadet

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How'd you get into that business? And is medical school then a business expense? Do you plan on returning to the business world after med school or residency?

11. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say take two years off as well. I thought I could do everything in one - accelerated m.p.h. and applying - and it's kicking my butt. i feel so burnt out about everything.

12. Adcadet

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    an accelerated MPH? Do you already have a doctoral level degree? If not, which school has this? Feel free to PM me.

13. tryingagain

10+ Year Member

For you non-business majors such as myself - 2 million in sales does not mean 2 million in profit. Much much lower actually.

I got a lucky break and got a job as a sales rep for an orthopedic implant company right after college. I do total joint replacements, sports reconstruction, trauma, etc. I kicked ass and learned a lot about bio-tech and anatomy and also how to relate with surgeons, nurses, hospital staffs etc. I met a guy who was starting a business in another state who wanted me to join him as a partner. I said make it 50/50 and you got a deal. He did and I moved and joined him.

It wasn't where my heart is though. My heart is in being a physician. That's why I am leaving for school in 2003.

By the way, nice sarcasm assholes. Were you jealous?

14. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Well yeah, but I figured, if you're pulling $2 million/yr in sales, you're probably doing halfway decent.

Were you talking to me about the sarcasm? I hope not...wasn't trying to be sarcastic... :confused:

15. tryingagain

10+ Year Member

I'm doing ok. I am just lucky that I realized early that I don't want to be doing something that I don't love for the rest of my life. Money truly is not everything.

16. PluckyDuk8

PluckyDuk8 Pluck of all Plucks
    7+ Year Member

Well, I'm taking one year off. The timetable got a little hectic last year. I took the MCAT's in April, while looking for a job, and taking midterms (with graduation in June). I am living at home for the year so luckily I didn't have to look for a place to live as well. I ended up not being hired before I left overseas from June-August, so I had to continue my job search when I got back at the same time as I was trying to get in my secondaries It was sometimes annoying, but overall very doable. The job I have now my isn't too stressful, so I am enjoying myself quite a bit. I work full time 3x a week (12 hour shifts), and now that I have no secondaries I am looking for another part-time job. I am very much looking forward to starting school next year, but then again my job isn't spectacular or a great money maker.

17. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm in my second year off. Got into Columbia after taking August MCATs the summer after my senior year, and just didn't feel like starting the grind again so soon, so deferred for a year. Will let you know next year how it worked out. I'm chilling at home in Alaska, not working very hard, and enjoying life.