1 YR AEGD counting towards payback for a 2 year scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

63B2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is talking to an Army recruiter about joining on as HPSP. As far as I remember, if he takes a 2 year scholarship, he will have a 3 year minimum active duty commitment- BUT his 1 year AEGD will count towards payback of the 3 year active duty minimum because he only got the scholarship for two years.

According to my understanding, a 4 year HPSP such as myself doing a 1 year AEGD will not get the 1 year AEGD to count towards payback (because the Army paid me 4 years of scholarship), but it will count towards the 3 year minimum ONLY in the case where the HPSP recipient got a 2 year scholarship.

Is this right? And if it is, can someone provide a reference? I just want to help my guy make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is talking to an Army recruiter about joining on as HPSP. As far as I remember, if he takes a 2 year scholarship, he will have a 3 year minimum active duty commitment- BUT his 1 year AEGD will count towards payback of the 3 year active duty minimum because he only got the scholarship for two years.

According to my understanding, a 4 year HPSP such as myself doing a 1 year AEGD will not get the 1 year AEGD to count towards payback (because the Army paid me 4 years of scholarship), but it will count towards the 3 year minimum ONLY in the case where the HPSP recipient got a 2 year scholarship.

Is this right? And if it is, can someone provide a reference? I just want to help my guy make an informed decision.

Thanks!

That is correct. However because recruiting is doing so well, 1 and 2 yr HPSP scholarships are given out very selectively and considered on a case by case basis.

Does the year you spend at AEGD program count towards your years of retirement?