basketball

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
hey everyone,

I have a year till the MCAT, and Im reading a novel a week... (Also trying to read the economist...) However, Ive realized that MCAT type VR is very different from novels or even the economist.

Thus, I was thinking of doing 1 EK VR a day and completely disect it and understand each and every question. My question is, will I be wasting the material doing it this way? Im not sure what I will be studying off from 2 months before I actually write the MCAT... so is this a good idea?

PS r there other books like EK VR out there? I only need VR practice really

Thanks!!!

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Status
Medical Student
No you will not be wasting time. It is actually an excellent idea to do that. It's not a waste of passages if you are learning from them are they? Also the Economist is a great magazine especially since I always see a political passage on a test and the writing section loves to give you prompts on politics (however its all chance). Best of luck and it looks like your going to have a great start if you start early.

phospho

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Columbus, OH
Status
Medical Student
hey everyone,

I have a year till the MCAT, and Im reading a novel a week... (Also trying to read the economist...) However, Ive realized that MCAT type VR is very different from novels or even the economist.

Thus, I was thinking of doing 1 EK VR a day and completely disect it and understand each and every question. My question is, will I be wasting the material doing it this way? Im not sure what I will be studying off from 2 months before I actually write the MCAT... so is this a good idea?

PS r there other books like EK VR out there? I only need VR practice really

Thanks!!!
a few months ago, i would've called you crazy for even thinking about that... but now that i've realized how hard it is to raise VR (even in a span of a few months), I think it's a great idea. I don't see how you would be wasting material, as long as you do like you said: take each one apart and try to focus on the methodology, including the ones you get right. I wouldn't try to do this with BS or PS.

Best of luck!:luck:

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in a similar position as basketball, just finished my freshman year. I have a questions though. Have you taken a diagnostic or have you done content review yet? I am not starting verbal reasoning review until i do a content review, and then take a diagnostic to see how much help I need.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think it's a bad idea, but you should get all the VR resources you can before you start. My only concern about starting this early is that you will probably run out of VR material. You do not want to be in a situation where you used up all your resources 3 months before the test. So get everything you can and make out a schedule to ensure that you do not run out of material.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I agree. I'd do plenty of reading, but maybe take tests every once in a while and review a lot, maybe re-read some of the passages, etc.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah, thats why i mentioned, maybe you should take a diagnostic first. you might find you don't need much work in verbal reasoning. i figure after a content review, which i will need to do no matter what, i will take a diagnostic and then see what i need to work on after that.

PrinceAli2786

Soon I will be king! =)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, sorry but I have been searching for around 10min and have yet to find my answer, but can some1 please tell me the exact name of the EK VERBAL book that everyone recommends and can I just find this at any bookstore?

Thanks in advance

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning

Its sold out at a lot of places and a new version isn't out until the 30th, so you may want to check Amazon and ebay.

PrinceAli2786

Soon I will be king! =)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
I found them at a Barnes and Noble but I plan to take the exam on June 13, so do you think I should wait for the new edition? or just get this one since I will only have a short amount of time anyway? Do you think there are a lot of errors or its not like the recent exams that I should wait to buy it?'

thanks again for info/help:)

bostonmedical

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning

Its sold out at a lot of places and a new version isn't out until the 30th, so you may want to check Amazon and ebay.
There is a new one coming out the 30th? I just bought one in February.
I guess that is good in case I bail out on taking the MCAT this year. In case I do all the passages in the book this year I have back up for next spring. Hopefully it won't come to that. Just got to manage my study time properly.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I found them at a Barnes and Noble but I plan to take the exam on June 13, so do you think I should wait for the new edition? or just get this one since I will only have a short amount of time anyway? Do you think there are a lot of errors or its not like the recent exams that I should wait to buy it?'

thanks again for info/help:)
I'd buy it now. June 13th is coming too fast.

"Mistakes" in VR are difficult to judge. I personally think that some of the EK answers have debatable logic, but that's the nature of the VR beast. EK is the best practice you'll get that's not from AAMC.

PrinceAli2786

Soon I will be king! =)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd buy it now. June 13th is coming too fast.

"Mistakes" in VR are difficult to judge. I personally think that some of the EK answers have debatable logic, but that's the nature of the VR beast. EK is the best practice you'll get that's not from AAMC.
k cool thanks a lot for ur help I really appreciate it :cool:

OP
B

basketball

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2008
Status
cool guys thanks for the replies!

are there books like VR EK on the market? I have the kaplan big thick book, but it only has like 10 VR practices or something

thanks

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
basketball, are you pretty good with all of the content already?

OP
B

basketball

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2008
Status
basketball, are you pretty good with all of the content already?
well I still havent taken o chem 1/2, but I pretty much took all of the pre reqs so I think i might just work on VR over the summer. Im gonna work on the sciences while I take the kaplan course next summer around this time of year. I just wanna be ready for VR!!!

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
do you know if e passages are goingto be different in the new edition?

PrinceAli2786

Soon I will be king! =)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
EK 101 is available at deep discount.
where at/how much?

b/c at b&n website they don't give the prices but ppl are selling used for $204 which seems crazy for a used book that is prob around like 50$ right? how much is it normally?