1 yr LOA between 2nd and 3rd year. how to make the most out of it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mopitup85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently pregnant and will be delivering in a couple months, so I will be taking a 1 yr LOA between 2nd and 3rd year. Besides research, what other things should I try to do during this time? What the best ways to keep my basic science knowledge fresh? Would it be wise to start preparing for rotations and Shelf exams, maybe at least try to do some preparation for internal medicine?

Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Good time to review the many good reasons to not vaccinate your child

Members don't see this ad :)
Good time to review the many good reasons to not vaccinate your child

I hope this person was being sarcastic. This will take you less than an hour to do.... the list is fairly short.

Reactions: 2 users
Any serious advice or anyone in the same situation?

If you are finished with second year, why would you need to keep your basic knowledge fresh anymore?

It wouldn't be too terrible to do some shadowing in non-core specialties if you might be interested in one of them.

I would also advise getting a book like MTB Step 2, FA for Step 2 CK, or something along those lines to bridge the preclinical and clinical years. Several pages per day should be sufficient to keep the concepts fairly fresh.

If you are interested in research, take online stats classes! Learn SAS/STATA linear/logistic regression - will help throughout career if you're interested in academics and it helps to understand the literature.

Prioritize your 'to do' list -- You're unlikely to get as much done as you'd like :cool:

(And best wishes)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
first off, basic science knowledge doesn't help on clinical rotations.

more importantly, why the leave of absence??

first off, basic science knowledge doesn't help on clinical rotations.

more importantly, why the leave of absence??

How would A&P, Phys, Path & Pharm not help on rotations?

they just don't. you'll see.

They have for the past 6 weeks.

Without basic science you'd give an inferior STEMI nitro without checking a right sided EKG and wonder why the pt died.

The voice of experience :D Kids are wonderful, but they are the ultimate time-sink.
Couldn't have said it better.

To the OP: I would prioritize your list and lower your expectations significantly. If you are able to do more than you hoped, it will be a pleasant surprise rather than a disappointment at not doing "enough."

I bet you timed your pregnancy on purpose to get a year off before year 3 so you could get a whole year to cram for the usmle

I commend you for following through on such a huge loophole in the system

Reactions: 1 users
To the OP. Not sure what's available, but some type of masters program would be good to keep your resume going. Eg MBA/MPH.

I know this thread is a couple years old but I am a current OMS2 and was thinking about doing the same thing. How did this work for you @mopitup85? I am interested in rural family medicine so I am not really wanting to do research. I was planning on taking boards before LOA though. I have also thought about doing a fellowship my school offers but am not sure how competitive that will be. Any advise would be good.