1 yr V. 2 yr (career changers... BM/UPenn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How do people think it compares to do the pre-reqs in 1yr versus 2yrs? Since I haven't taken any of these subject areas since HS 6-7 years ago, at first I assumed that I wiould want to ease into it a bit and do it over 2yrs.

Then, when my boyfriend and I decided to move to Philadelphia I applied to Bryn Mawr, and am excited to have an interview coming up. But their program is structured around doing everything in 1yr and that's my only real concern. I don't mind working my tail off, I just know it really matters to perform extremely well in these courses and to be doing simultaneous volunteering/research ect.

Has anyone done BM's program in 2yrs? (would that disqualify me from linkage?)
Is doing it in 1yr really reasonable?
If I get into BM - is it ridiclous to keep considering the 2yr UPenn program?

Any tips on the BM interview would also be appreciated, although yes, i know there's info on a lot of previous threads.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

How do people think it compares to do the pre-reqs in 1yr versus 2yrs? Since I haven't taken any of these subject areas since HS 6-7 years ago, at first I assumed that I wiould want to ease into it a bit and do it over 2yrs.

Then, when my boyfriend and I decided to move to Philadelphia I applied to Bryn Mawr, and am excited to have an interview coming up. But their program is structured around doing everything in 1yr and that's my only real concern. I don't mind working my tail off, I just know it really matters to perform extremely well in these courses and to be doing simultaneous volunteering/research ect.

Has anyone done BM's program in 2yrs? (would that disqualify me from linkage?)
Is doing it in 1yr really reasonable?
If I get into BM - is it ridiclous to keep considering the 2yr UPenn program?

Any tips on the BM interview would also be appreciated, although yes, i know there's info on a lot of previous threads.

Thanks!!

You can't do the BM program in two years. It's a one year program, no exceptions.

I'm afraid I never quite know what someone means when they ask if doing it all in one year is "reasonable" or "doable." If you're applying to Bryn Mawr, you likely know that hundreds have done it successfully in recent years. You also probably know that almost everyone who starts the program finishes it and applies successfully to medical school.

"Reasonable" depends on how smart/hardworking you are, I suppose. I find it quite reasonable and have plenty of free time. Most of my fellow students would agree, though as always, some people feel more comfortable putting more raw hours into their studies than others and thus tend to be a bit busier. All are successful.

I have no idea why you would consider a 2-year program at Penn if you are accepted to Bryn Mawr. I completely understand the desire to "ease into things," but if I'm being dutifully honest -- that may not be a successful attitude for medicine in general as it's a very demanding and fast-paced career, both academically and professionally.

As for interview advice, what specifically did you find lacking in previous posts? If you have more specific questions, I may be able to help you out.

Thanks for the reply.

You're right, "reasonable" is not very specific. Basically what I don't want to do is come away from the year feeling like I would've performed better taking 2 labs/semester instead of 3 (on top of the other aspects of the year). But the support offered at BM and their sucess rate certainly is compelling evidence that it shouldn't be an issue - and I do think I'll go there if I get in.

As for the interview, do you have any idea how general the questions are? Can you give any sort of example? (I always find it hardest to give good answers on the broadest questions - "Tell us about yourself") ... Also, someone posted that there may be ethical questions, is that true? The general consensus seems to be that it's pretty much a matter of justifying "Why medicine, why now." If you've been through this - where there any questions that surprised you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.

You're right, "reasonable" is not very specific. Basically what I don't want to do is come away from the year feeling like I would've performed better taking 2 labs/semester instead of 3 (on top of the other aspects of the year). But the support offered at BM and their sucess rate certainly is compelling evidence that it shouldn't be an issue - and I do think I'll go there if I get in.

As for the interview, do you have any idea how general the questions are? Can you give any sort of example? (I always find it hardest to give good answers on the broadest questions - "Tell us about yourself") ... Also, someone posted that there may be ethical questions, is that true? The general consensus seems to be that it's pretty much a matter of justifying "Why medicine, why now." If you've been through this - where there any questions that surprised you?

Haha why do ethical questions worry you? In all seriousness, I didn't have any ethics questions -- they would be inappropriate, I think. Before one assumes an opinion on medical ethics, one should probably be educated on the subject -- which postbac applicants are not. If you have strong ethical opinions, feel free to voice them (as long as you can back them up with some seriously compelling evidence and well-thought out arguments), but I doubt they'll be solicited.

Yes, the questions are extremely broad. Depending on who your interviewer is, you may just be given a broad question exactly like the ones you mention, or you may be prompted with specific examples. You need to have answers ready for all of those expected questions, such as:

Why medicine?
Why did you choose your original major?
Why are you not pursuing said career path?
What will be the hardest part of the program for you?
What do you envision yourself doing in the medical field?
What else should we know about you?
What have you done that convinces you medicine is right for you?

There won't be any surprising questions. You just need to come off as mature, well-spoken and (most importantly) sure of your decision. The last thing they want is for you to come to the program, lose your bananas and drop out/start doing poorly -- they are stunningly good at weeding people with that potential out. My advice to you personally would be to never, ever mention that you are apprehensive about your ability to do this in one year. They want you to be 100% confident in your abilities, because your confidence will be pushed to the limits during your time here.

Thanks a lot for the info NewmansOwn - that's very useful information!

Haha why do ethical questions worry you? In all seriousness, I didn't have any ethics questions -- they would be inappropriate, I think. Before one assumes an opinion on medical ethics, one should probably be educated on the subject -- which postbac applicants are not. If you have strong ethical opinions, feel free to voice them (as long as you can back them up with some seriously compelling evidence and well-thought out arguments), but I doubt they'll be solicited.

Some postbac interviews hit you hard with ethical questions. The Scripps interview was harder than any of my med school interviews... BM wasn't that way when I interviewed though.

Some postbac interviews hit you hard with ethical questions. The Scripps interview was harder than any of my med school interviews... BM wasn't that way when I interviewed though.

Interesting...what kind specifically? I suppose ethics questions pertaining to access to healthcare or systems of healthcare could be warranted, but I stand by my claim that medical/clinical ethics questions are, most likely, uninformative when asked of those with no formal medical training.

I don't have much experience with Scripps -- but I know they know what they're doing out there, so I suppose the questions can't be absurd.

Interesting...what kind specifically? I suppose ethics questions pertaining to access to healthcare or systems of healthcare could be warranted, but I stand by my claim that medical/clinical ethics questions are, most likely, uninformative when asked of those with no formal medical training.

I don't have much experience with Scripps -- but I know they know what they're doing out there, so I suppose the questions can't be absurd.

"If you had a 15 year old girl come into your office that was pregnant, would you tell their parents?" "Why?" then that line of questioning went on for 5-10 minutes.

I don't think premeds have any more formal medical training than postbacs, so if those questions are fair game in med school interviews, then IMO they're fair game in postbac interviews.