10 point difference between FL1 and Sample AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ughimpremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooooo.... I took the AAMC sample last week and scored around a 513 based on various docs I found... but just finished AAMC FL1 and scored a 523... Is that even possible to have a 10 point jump? I took the MCAT before at the end of 2018 (scored a 513), and taking it again now... Do you think its possible I just remember questions from the last time I took the FLs (I took the sample test then too so it doesn't rly explain the discrepancy). Pls help haha I don't know what to make of this and don't wanna get too excited.

Members don't see this ad.

It could be possible.
What's the section breakdown? From what I remember the Sample test has an easier CARS and a slightly harder C/P?

Reactions: 1 user
It's entirely possible. The AAMC Sample conversions should be taken with a grain of salt, too—most of those conversions are based by trying to apply the FL1 scale to the Sample, and even if you encounter more sophisticated approaches that try to average the FL scales or apply regression analysis or something, it doesn't really change the fact that the Sample exam isn't really calibrated to generate representative scores—it truly is a "sample" :). Sounds like you're in a very solid place -- good luck moving forward!!

i thought sample tests were slightly easier, but you’re the opposite of my trend. Try to keep up that score all the way through AAMC FL4, then you will be set solid!