100% free dental education for former military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to chime in here with some information for anyone who is currently active duty or a veteran, and who is considering dental school.
Throughout my interviews, I have met multiple people who have been approved for Chapter 31- Vocational Rehabilitation benefits to pay for dental school.

Essentially, this is a FULL ride through dental school (ANY PROGRAM OF YOUR CHOICE; NO limit at all) with allowances for laptop, etc. There is no payback and there is no expectation of you after you complete dental school.

THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM THE G.I. BILL. The G.I. Bill has a limit on how much it will pay to private schools. Vocational Rehab does NOT have this financial limit.

Think of it as HPSP without the payback.

Definitely consult the VA about this amazing program. You only need a 20% disability rating to qualify for this.

Here is a testimonial from an SDNer who received VocRehab:

Just got approved this morning. 4 years of dental school tuition, supplies, fees, licensure exams, and new computer. I'm getting the national flat-rate stipend, with 3 dependents, because I exhausted my gi bill benefits last month. Yusssss!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
To anyone who thinks it's too good to be true, it kindof is because you MUST have a service connected disability associated with it. So, it doesn't work if you served a few years and then decided to get out to pursue greener pastures.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To anyone who thinks it's too good to be true, it kindof is because you MUST have a service connected disability associated with it. So, it doesn't work if you served a few years and then decided to get out to pursue greener pastures.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for bringing this up. I believe you only need a 20% disability rating to get this- you do NOT need to be totally disabled.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my friends who were in the army and actively deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan sustained injuries of some sort, not to mention pretty bad PTSD (don't know if they look at that or not). If you served in the army and deployed in middle east, there might be a pretty good chance you could qualify for this (due to the seemingly high chance of getting injured). Have no idea the extent of injury though, just speculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of my friends who were in the army and actively deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan sustained injuries of some sort, not to mention pretty bad PTSD (don't know if they look at that or not). If you served in the army and deployed in middle east, there might be a pretty good chance you could qualify for this (due to the seemingly high chance of getting injured). Have no idea the extent of injury though, just speculation.

Exactly. You don't even need to have deployed- I have a very good friend who was forced to work 60+ hours/week. His body was treated so badly by the demanding work environment that he developed a few medical conditions. He's been APPROVED for VocRehab.

Agree, just PTSD or depression would be enough. The question is how to go through school with it

Not trying to go on a tangent but if your a permanent resident, are you allowed to go in the army after you get an acceptance?