100th late change to Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for this being almost such a regular post on this forum.. I've reviewed other posts but I just had a few questions.. and ANY input would be greatly appreciated!

I made a decision to go into the optho field about a few weeks ago. I've talked to a matched resident who appeared to have made his decision at about the same time so I have hope...

STEP Scores:
Step 1: 250 (around 63rd percentile of matched applicants according to SF match 2018 data)
Step 2: I was considering possibly taking this in September after taking 2 Ophtho electives in July and August since I have no optho electives taken (I've heard some programs may not offer interviews until this score is released)

Research:
Michigan State University Medical school:
NG tube placement research: first author, published (not a big journal), 2 oral presentations
Opioid research: ongoing with no publications/presentations (yet).
Adhesive small bowel research: ongoing with no publications/presentations (yet).
Now trying to get into ophtho research and possibly get a review/case report with the limited time I have and just get into some research experience (any other research ideas are welcomed with big wide open arms; I feel this is the weakest point of my app now)

UCLA College (would these count? I thought people put their college work into ERAS?):
2 poster presentations related to diabetes/exercise training which I was not first author on.

LORS:
I am debating on if it is better to get 3 ophtho vs 2 ophtho + 1 surgery vs 2 ophtho + 1 chair of medicine LOR? [I thought surgery > medicine for ophtho..?]
Also, is the new standardized LOR form or a personalized letter considered better (you can only use one or the other for each LOR)? I believe the standardized form can tell more about how "top %ile" the student is vs the personalized letter can talk more positive qualities about the student

Clerkships (only Honors/Pass system):
Honored Family Medicine (lol probably the most useless)
Passed IM (first rotation) and Surgery (seems like I missed my chances here)
I have Psych, OB/GYN, and Peds left (hoping to honor them to achieve AOA and "Oustanding" designation on dean's letter/MSPE)
Passed an elective in cardiology with Chair of Medicine (only Pass/No Pass)

I am just worried the lack of my ophtho research (hopefully I will get some but worried I don't publish anything) would make me a weak applicant especially given that my step score is somewhat mediocre for this field.

Please.. Any input, recommendations, reassurance would be greatly appreciated! Also, please be blunt with me if there are significant areas where I need to improve in my app.. the more straightforward you are with me, the more it will help me, because I would know what to target.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your step scores and grades sound good. I'd probably base the 3rd LOR on who will write the best letter. I got my 3rd letter from an Ob-gyn who gave me amazing comments on my evaluation and then wrote an equally amazing letter (for some reason I can't explain he thought I was the best medstudent he ever worked with and he was a full distinguished professor in ob-gyn)... that was the letter I got the most comments/praise on during my interviews, more than my ophtho letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Dusn

You look good so far, your last hurdle will be to get solid LORs. The third should be from whoever will give you the best, detailed, and personalized letter. Make sure your ophtho ones are strong too. Apply broadly and don't be geographically picky and you'll do well.

Reactions: 1 user