mmapcpro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Deltona, FL
Status (Visible)
My last 3 semesters of undergrad, I'm looking at taking 12 credits each semester.

During my first 85 credits at engineering school, I usually took 14-16 credits per semester + working full time. During the past 2 semesters at the community college, I took 18 credits each semester.

But I'm transferring to the state university in the fall to finish up, and I'll only need 36 more credits. So that evens out to about 12 hours per semester in order to maintain fulltime status for financial aid matters. I'm still working, as well.

I've heard that admissions committees look down upon only taking 12 credits per semester. What do you think, considering these circumstances?

Thanks

Radioheadblue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
I would talk to the schools that you plan to apply to and are interested in. I did the same thing, only took enough classes to graduate and it never came up in any of my interviews, and since I was accepted to all but one school that I interviewed at, I don't think it mattered all too much. But I'm sure every case is different.
I'm sure they'll understand you're situation if you're working fulltime.

If I had it to do over, I probably would have taken a couple extra higher level bio or biochem classes to help me review for the DAT but I did fine on the DAT without it, just had to study more on the side.

Zurich5

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
Hoosierville
Status (Visible)
I've had slow semesters before (12-13 hours) and was never asked anything about it. Have fun whille when you're taking that kind of courseload. I have 9 hours this semester, and it owns.

About the Ads

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
on the other hand, i have had crazy semesters and never got praised during my interviews.... so, take the easy way out!

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
12 should be fine, given that the classes are of some difficulty. For example, if 4 of them are PE classes then it won't fly.

Also, if you are working full-time AND supporting a family, it will give further weight to your case.

But do remember that many have supported a family and gone to school at the same time. I worked 40 hour weeks (2-10:30 each day/took at least 17 credit hours for two years) so the above reasons aren't always valid ones when comparing yourself to other applicants.

Then again, you can't compare yourself to other applicants all the time.

Just some of the time.

UMDeeMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Duluth, MN
Status (Visible)
Gavin, how did you manage to take 17 credits and work from 2-10??? I mean how did the class scheduling work? on top of that support a family??? I give you the highest props brotha :thumbup: . This is currently my hell semester, 22 credits (Bio, Chem, Psych, Physics, and a Disabilities class for my major) while working 40 hours a week between 2 jobs. Luckily for me the jobs i work at are from 5am-9 am, and 7pm-12am.I don't have my own family but I couldn't even imagine what I would do if i did. I like to think I'm really pressing my limits, but all you family men and women, my hat is off. :clap:

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by ItsGavinC
I worked 40 hour weeks (2-10:30 each day/took at least 17 credit hours for two years) .

and had enough time left over to make babies... :laugh:

what do you eat Gavin that can do all that???

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.