12 credits hours or physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a common question,but should I drop down to 12 credit hours( take physiology out my schedule) and use that extra time to prep for the mcat?

Additional information: physiology is considered the hardest bio class at my university (pre med dream and GPA crusher) but also its consider great mcat prep.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take as light of a course load as you possibly can so that you can devote most of your time to study for the MCAT. The test is truly a beast that requires a lot of time to prepare for.

I know this is a common question,but should I drop down to 12 credit hours( take physiology out my schedule) and use that extra time to prep for the mcat?

Additional information: physiology is considered the hardest bio class at my university (pre med dream and GPA crusher) but also its consider great mcat prep.

Don't waste your time with physiology and risk damaging your GPA. There are numerous ways to tackle physiology for MCAT prep.

Members don't see this ad :)

Short answer: Yes!

Take 12 credit hours and dedicate your time to MCAT prep for sure. It's a difficult test and deserves as much attention as you're able to give it. The benefits of extra time studying for the MCAT outweigh the benefits of additional coursework by a long shot. Besides, you said yourself it's an extremely difficult class so it will obviously be a time-consuming course as well. That doesn't bode well for MCAT prep. A potentially lower GPA definitely doesn't help either.

Also, physiology may be considered "great mcat prep" but it's probably much more meticulous information than you'll need to know for the MCAT. It'd be more beneficial to focus on MCAT oriented physiology material so you don't get caught up in the details.

Don't waste your time with physiology and risk damaging your GPA. There are numerous ways to tackle physiology for MCAT prep.
Short answer: Yes!

Take 12 credit hours and dedicate your time to MCAT prep for sure. It's a difficult test and deserves as much attention as you're able to give it. The benefits of extra time studying for the MCAT outweigh the benefits of additional coursework by a long shot. Besides, you said yourself it's an extremely difficult class so it will obviously be a time-consuming course as well. That doesn't bode well for MCAT prep. A potentially lower GPA definitely doesn't help either.

Also, physiology may be considered "great mcat prep" but it's probably much more meticulous information than you'll need to know for the MCAT. It'd be more beneficial to focus on MCAT oriented physiology material so you don't get caught up in the details.

But than again why can't I just take physiology and study for he mcat in the summer?

But than again why can't I just take physiology and study for he mcat in the summer?
My previous response is assuming you want to take an early MCAT. If you don't plan to take the MCAT until August or later, you could most definitely take physiology and then dedicate your summer to studying. However, you'd be more limited on early application to medical school.

I recommend submitting your medical school application as early as possible, so you'll need to have your MCAT score back in order to do that. The benefits of early application will far outweigh the benefits of taking physiology.

Make sure you give yourself a minimum of 3 dedicated months of studying for the MCAT no matter what you decide to do.

Because from your OP, you admitted the class is a GPA crusher. Plus, a lot of strong applicants didn't even take physiology in their college and still did well on the MCAT. Prep books are enough.