12 credits OK semester before taking DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UndergradGuy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand they always say take 15 credits or more to show you can handle it. All of my semesters up until now have been 15 or more. But this year, I will be a Junior and plan on taking the DAT maybe October or during winter break. So, I was planning on taking 12 credits so that I can study during the school year for it. Will this be advisable/understandable by the adcomss? Do a lot of people do this/is it normal?

I will be taking Anatomy + Lab, Analytical Chem (lab 2x a week), and Homeostasis (no lab).

All 3 are science courses and I expect having lab 3 times a week will be a little annoying/hard.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand they always say take 15 credits or more to show you can handle it. All of my semesters up until now have been 15 or more. But this year, I will be a Junior and plan on taking the DAT maybe October or during winter break. So, I was planning on taking 12 credits so that I can study during the school year for it. Will this be advisable/understandable by the adcomss? Do a lot of people do this/is it normal?

I will be taking Anatomy + Lab, Analytical Chem (lab 2x a week), and Homeostasis (no lab).

All 3 are science courses and I expect having lab 3 times a week will be a little annoying/hard.

One semester of 12 will not be looked at negatively. People will tell you otherwise. I am one who feels you are only taking an average load if you are taking 16 credits (since college is historically a 4 yr program/ 2 semesters per year/ 128 credits minimum to graduate). But, if you have been taking at or above the average every semester, one semester will not be looked down upon especially with a couple challenging courses. If you were taking just core classes, then it might be questioned. But with difficult courses, no.