12 students at GW matched optho this year. Is that normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
The class size was roughly 160, and 12/12 matched optho. That sounds high to me, but I don't know. Does that sound excessive to anyone else?

HamOn

nyeyes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met a few GW kids on the trail, & they all told me that 12 is an atypically high # 4 them, but 12/12 is well done 4 GW.. I also heard a rumor that harvard had like 20 kids apply 4 ophtho, not sure if this is accurate or how many matched..

Gottschalk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard on the interview trail from a Harvard grad that there were also a huge number applying to ophtho. He said that they all matched. The interesting thing is that he said that not one of them matched at MEEI--by their choice. Apparently, this is the first time MEEI didn't match one of their own. I thought that it was an intersting tidbit from the interview trail and couldn't resist to share it.

Gottschalk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by the Harvard grad that by their choice this years Harvard grads did not match at MEEI despite being ranked to do so. Again--interview trail gossip--take it for what it's worth.