13 or 13-15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 13 Verbal(I am very happy about that)

I've heard some people call it a 13-15 and others just a 13. My score report just said 13.

So did I get a composite of 33 or 33-35?

Either way, I am stoked.

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that last year, I got a 13-15, and it was written as such on my score report. Maybe they changed how they score this year. So no, don't refer to your score as 13-15 until you get the typed version of your scores in the mail. Here's why--perhaps you did get 13-15 but it was easier for them to put 13 on the computer. Keep in mind though, that if you DO see a 13-15 on your typed report, it won't matter anyway, except for your own knowledge, because it only counts as 13 in your total score.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Samoa:
•Whether the score report says 13 or 13-15, AMCAS reports it as 13-15 on your application.•••••I beg to differ. When I print my app, it says Verbal 13, even though my score report says 13-15. If you read the stuff that accompanies the score report, it mentions that there is no statistical difference, and so the maximum score IS 13, however it is reported on your particular score report. Either way, you kicked its a$$. Well done.

BR

its strange how petty some ppl get! now what is the difference whether it was reported as a 13 or 13-15...in both cases thats like the 95th-99th percentile...many ppl are crying with their 6s and 7s....show offs!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by IOE:
•its strange how petty some ppl get! now what is the difference whether it was reported as a 13 or 13-15...in both cases thats like the 95th-99th percentile...many ppl are crying with their 6s and 7s....show offs!•••••Lighten up...
I don't think there is anything wrong with the question I asked.

Doctor Octopus and Laura JC,
What did you guys do to prepare for the verbal section to get those great scores. Did you use a certain technique or just take a bunch of practice tests?

I took Kaplan. They have, in addition to all of their full-length exams, 13 full length verbal sections you can do. I did all of the full-length exams they had at that time, and also at least five or six of the 13 verbal only tests.

The key to verbal success is "getting" the passage. You have to be able to know why the author is writing the piece, and where everything "is" in the passage. That way when you get to the questions you don't waste time searching.

There are different approaches you can use when attacking the passages. I preferred to read the whole passage straight, and try to make note of things that I suspected I would be asked about. Others suggest skimming the passage, or reading the questions first. You should experiment and find out what works best for you.

hey dr. octopus....i's just messing with you...no hard feelings....a 13 in verbal is a dream to most of us....Congrats! wish u all the best!

P.S. how did u do it man????!!!

I think being a reader helps. If you love to read books you have an advantage. But then again, I got a 5V on the Kaplan diagnostic! So I did tons of practice passages until I could eventually predict what some of the questions would be while reading the passage. Also, I'm sure luck played into it somewhat. I don't think the difference between higher scores is very much.

I am rather new on this forum, but the point I have to make is how much it amazes that so many people claim to have 13-15, 13 BS, 12-14 PS when statistically we all know that they are not that many of those scores that go around nationwide. It's quite a laugh. Impress yourselves first people not strangers.