This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smallpotato69

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely better to have the approval from the VRC in the region where you are attending school. I went through the situation where the VRC in one region approved me and then I moved for med school and the new VRC was cool about it but she did say that technically a VRC in the region where you will be attending is supposed to sign off on your IWRP.

Reactions: 1 users
I would wait once you have that acceptance letter in hand and make your travels to the new region. I know the tipping point for my new VRC at the area of my program was the fact that I had an acceptance letter despite being turned down OOS across the country.

Once you get accepted and a strong idea of when you plan on moving to the new region, apply on the e-benefits webpage with the new address information so when you arrive you'll already be set for your first appointment (this is exactly what I did).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd apply once you have the acceptance without waiting. It can take a while sometimes, and if the first one says no, you have a window to reapply at the new location and see what the new counselor says - maybe someone else has a different opinion on this, but I've seen it happen with someone who applied in one location and then another and was approved on 2nd round with new, local counselor. If you meet and they say yes, there is potential to maintain your counselor if the distance is not too great. I maintained my counselor 5 hours away and communicated via email.

If you apply now and they say yes, but then move and you have to switch counselors and the new ones say no... then if you waited, you'd be SOL, but having the initial yes could give you some ground to fight/appeal/get a yes from the new counselor who may have otherwise just said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.