14 on my first FL :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norah89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first full length but i have not finished the ontent review for Physics and i covered bio, chem, orgo only once and i got a 14 :( i took a kaplan test im worried i didnt use Kaplan bio to study so that was my worst section my test is on August 21 i have no more time any suggestions.......btw as i was reviewing content i did not really put soo much time for practice im worried please advice me

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my first full length but i have not finished the ontent review for Physics and i covered bio, chem, orgo only once and i got a 14 :( i took a kaplan test im worried i didnt use Kaplan bio to study so that was my worst section my test is on August 21 i have no more time any suggestions.......btw as i was reviewing content i did not really put soo much time for practice im worried please advice me

Don't be dishearted. I would suggest you stay away from practice tests until you finish your content review. Otherwise, you'd be wasting practice tests. Finish your content review for physics (keep doing timed passages and other practice problems), and take AAMC 3. The AAMCs are better indicators of your performance than kaplan or any other company.

wait do u still think i can pull up my grade i need to increase it by 12 points to get to where i need to be is that going to be possible ???

wait do u still think i can pull up my grade i need to increase it by 12 points to get to where i need to be is that going to be possible ???

I think it's definitely possible. Identify your weaknesses and attack them. But content review is key. Once you've finished the content review, start hitting those practice exams and figure out if you're having issues with the timing, or the passages themselves. It's definitely possible, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so no FL ?? oh well i will just take sectionals for the mean time until i finish Physics.....should i go back and review bio/orgo/chem or just practice ?
btw thanks for the advice i really hope i can pull this up :S

ok so no FL ?? oh well i will just take sectionals for the mean time until i finish Physics.....should i go back and review bio/orgo/chem or just practice ?

Once you've completed content review, practice will yield more improvement than repeating content review. During practice, you should definitely take time to identify weaknesses and review them. However, reviewing content that you are already strong in will be a waste of time. Use practice problems to increase your mastery of material, fill in cracks in understanding, and identify areas of potential weakness for further review.

Also, don't do "sectionals" for the AAMC tests (if that's what you're referring to). Take the tests together within the allotted time limit. This is important for developing test timing skills and the mental endurance needed on the real deal. If you need additional practice, consider the EK1001 Bio book, the EK101 Verbal book, and maybe borrow the BR Physics, OChem, and Chem books from a friend if you know someone with them and do the chapter exams in them (they take longer to arrive than EK books usually).

"norah89", if 89's your birth year (and i apologize if i'm wrong in assuming so) then youre a sophmore in college taking the mcat a year early?
have you taken all the bio/chem/orgo/physics pre-requisite classes yet?

Yes, do as many of the sectionals as you can. Keep up the content review while you are practicing-don't abandon it completely. Just do light review on bio and chem since you already did your content review. Focus on the concepts that are troubling you/you keep missing. And yeah, don't do anymore full lengths until you're done with your physics content review. Also, make sure you thoroughly review your sectionals after taking them. Don't dismiss any question as a dumb mistake. Really try to figure out your thought process and why you got the question wrong. Then keep a log (I do this by subject) and write down what you got wrong, and the correct answer and reasoning. Review this along with content review, and you probably won't make such mistakes again.

Finish ALL the science content review before doing any more practice tests.

Order:
1. Content Review
2. Practice Tests
If score is okay-good...do some more practice tests to increase it
If score is low
Do a bunch of practice tests hopefully non-AAMC ones so that you can build your practice skills and gain a lot of knowledge from practice
before doing aamc
If very low review content weak areas.

This is the method I am using

"norah89", if 89's your birth year (and i apologize if i'm wrong in assuming so) then youre a sophmore in college taking the mcat a year early?
have you taken all the bio/chem/orgo/physics pre-requisite classes yet?

WoW loool im just kidding but no ur not wrong i am a rising junior in college but im graduating early as in i am only doing 3 years of undergrad and i have finished all the pre-reuisites

I'm right there with you on the Kaplan Full Diagnostic, score the big 15! If i helps any, I did improve by 8 points with minimal studying 5-20hrs/wk x 12wks, and working 50hrs/wk in the sweat shop they call a pathology lab. And now I'm looking forward to studying almost 7 to 10 times more in the coming weeks. So, I'm convinced (or naive) that improvement is doable, but methodical and tedious...and a little fun.;)

Hi Norah,

Try to finish your content review for Physics soon. Then, start doing practice passages and focus on your weaknesses. You still have time for a big improvement from a 14. Also, remember to review all the practice passages that you do, review makes a big difference.

august is too early. Go back and learn the concepts and/or do a lot of practice problems like the EK 1001. Get a hold of whatever practice problems you can, do them a passage at a time, and go over your mistakes and correct answers. Make sure you understand all the concepts you go over and the logic in finding the answer. You should try for January or maybe October.

Take 20 full lengths and do all the practice you can, then you will be fine. After a full length (which I recommend taking after you own a lot of the concepts and have done a lot of practice passages), go over the answers like I described before. Correct/incorrect then reasoning and understand the concept.

Then do the 20 full lengths. Always start with prep company full lengths to get conceptually strong, then finish with the AAMC to get stylistically strong.

You can get above a 30. You will just need a lot of practice problems and time spent reviewing them and understanding the concepts you're missing now.

Can somebody please tell me what is a "FL"? Full length?

And to OP's original post, I wouldn't be too worried about it if you have several months to study. Your scores will increase dramatically at some point and will level out.

Review bio and physics for two straight weeks if they are your weakest subjects than review everything in the last week. Make sure to get 2-3 days of good sleep before the exam date or you'll fatigue toward the end of the test and find yourself reading the passages over and over again due to lack of concentration.

Use flash cards and go for speedy recognition and recall. Use jMemorize to automate which cards to review the most.

thanks everyone for your help and for that person who said to swich to another profession: Man ur mean bc i know the MED profession needs lots of WORk and i am willing to DO it

It is not that bad, I got a 17 on my first MCAT practice, I got 35 on a couple AAMC tests, but my average was roughly a 31. I would suggest that you postpone the test. That is what I would do. This test is all about studying for 3-4 months intensely. I have known people who bombed the test their first time, and got what they wanted their second time. I understand that you probably want to get done with the test, but I don't realistically think you can get ready in such a short time. You can get the score you want provided you study for many months before test day.
I know you don't want to hear this, but I would postpone the test for a year. Only take the test when you are ready!

Read the link from a member named SN2ed about hwy diagnostics are worthless Id say he generally hit the point