14 Withdrawals first two years in community college. long read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-med_student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

It is difficult accepting my academic past, but now that I have set many old habits aside and become a new person, is there a chance my application won't be thrown away?
Before writing back I would like to tell you a bit about myself and my mindset at the time of my withdrawals
Growing up was mentally draining/stressful for me. I was bullied heavily throughout my childhood, so much that I wouldn't eat at lunch and spent a majority of my high school life sitting in bathroom stalls. I was called the ugliest girl in the school, thrown notes at - people made bird calls when I would pass .. etc. I eventually began hating myself, I Never took pictures, I rarely left my home, had no social life and was always afraid of groups of people. I used to stand in front of the mirror and tell myself how ugly I was (body dysmorphia) and for a long time after, I had suppressed many memories and couldn't remember much of my years in middle/highschool until they came back to me in the form of a nightmare or weird flash back. the OCD was so controlling that when my grandmother developed leukemia, in six months I only went to go see her maybe twice, and never attended her funeral. I even resorted to plastic surgery at 14.
my parents didn't emotionally support me much during my teen years, although they are lovely parents and i know they tried their best. I was ten years old when they got divorced - a really messy one too. Because I didn't know how to express myself properly, I distanced myself almost completely from my father for years, and my mother was always in her own world it seemed. Because of this, mixed with the dysmorphia, I became very vulnerable to abuse.. hence I spent over four/five years of my life in an emotionally and physically abusive relationship starting at the age of 15 with a 20 year old man. you can tell i was more in my own world growing up than anything else; always hiding and searching for comfort.
In my junior year of high school i decided it would be best if I graduated early and attended community college, then transfer to a four year. While this did solve my bullying problem, it was a mistake for the reason that I was clearly not ready, mentally prepared or mature enough for college. Even after the abuse had ended, I was still battling with emotional problems like body dysmorphia, depression, depersonalization, social anxiety. I withdrew from semesters at school because I couldn't handle the simplest tasks - such as walking down a hallway . At this time I wasn't consciously aware of how withdrawals could effect my future, I was just trying to live in the bubble I had created.
Growing up past 18 I began finding myself. I started opening up to family, spending time with my father, going to the gym, began seeing a therapist.. I realized that while I always had big dreams, the only way to reach them was by creating good habits now and thinking positive. Now at 20 I am currently earning straight A's at a four year and shadowing part time at an office. While I can't hide my past, the setbacks I faced have made me a more humble, compassionate person and I don't want them to stop me from being who I want to be. Nonetheless, I feel like there is no real excuse I can give for my withdrawals during an interview for example(if i even get one) - I can't say I was depressed, or "couldn't handle it" .. although at the time I truly felt that way, because I'm hard on myself at times a part of me is afraid that I was or will be viewed as just a silly girl throwing away money because she never had any real responsibilities. my gpa at cc was a 3.6 and i'm currently a 4.0 at mason (four-year). what is your advice

I apologize for all the grammar, typos, and making this so long to read

I appreciate your time and advice, thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry about all of the negative things you've been through. I'm glad you're doing better now.

The W's will definitely come up in interviews, but maintain that 4.0, and you shouldn't have a problem getting them. They definitely won't help. Just nail your MCAT. Good luck!

I'm really sorry about all of the negative things you've been through. I'm glad you're doing better now.

The W's will definitely come up in interviews, but maintain that 4.0, and you shouldn't have a problem getting them. They definitely won't help. Just nail your MCAT. Good luck!

Thank you,

I have a few concerns as far as taking prerequisites at the Cc, and the grades I received there as well. During cc my grades were Not good.. although I had a 3.6 Gpa, it was only because my English and non prerequisite courses were A's while I received a B in both chemistry 1 and 2 (6 week courses) and a low D in calculus (since I was never able to take it in high school, it was my first time) although I retook this class and received an A

So pretty much my first years at college look terrible.. Beyond terrible

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any Ws at Mason? If they're a thing of the past, I think schools can look past that. If you're still giving the impression that you're Wing any class that won't be an A, they'll question your GPA.

The Ws at the community college were before your turned 18? I wouldn't worry about them. Just keep up the As at Mason, do shadowing/leadership/other ECs, do well on the MCAT, explain your life and how you arrive at the passion to be a physician in a moving but non-self-pitying AMCAS essay, and you are good to go.