Quantcast

140K or Public Health

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you guys finish dental school with 140K or a four year commitment to public health service?

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
140K doesn't sound as nasty as some other amounts. But it's still a lot of money. How do you feel about public health? If you're comfortable in that setting, that's great. If not, that could be 4 years of misery which might not be worth 140K.

NOLAdentist2016

Reaction score
140K is really not a lot of debt for dental school. I think it would probably end up being a wash if you took the public health scholarship. A better option would be to just take out the 140K in loans and then after dental school if you decide to, you can apply for loan repayment thru the public health service.

They'd pay back all of those loans for sure (I think they do up to like 200K or something? I don't remember, its been awhile since I looked). And you wouldn't be committed to anything if you decided during your four years of dental school that you don't actually want to live in North Dakota fixing prisoner's teeth. I've even heard that its easier to land better assignments as a loan payback recipient than a scholarship recipient.

Those are both very good points.

140K is not a lot in terms of dental school. But I have friends who are going to business and law schools and it helps me to keep things in perspective. In business and law schooling 140K is as big as it usually gets and they are fretting about it.

Seeing how I feel at the end of D school is a great idea.

Hope45

Reaction score
Those are both very good points.

140K is not a lot in terms of dental school. But I have friends who are going to business and law schools and it helps me to keep things in perspective. In business and law schooling 140K is as big as it usually gets and they are fretting about it.

Seeing how I feel at the end of D school is a great idea.

A few weeks ago I read an article in Times Magazine regarding law school and if it's worth attending in this economy. The article stated that the average graduate coming out of school is making 60K a year.

If that is the case, I can see why your friends maybe fretting.

sacapuntas

Verified Account
Reaction score
Does the scholarship pay a stipend while you are in Dental School? That would be the determining factor for me, as a 2k monthly stipend goes a long ways especially if you have a family or something.

If you paid 140k back in 4 years you would need to devote post-tax dollars towards it meaning you would have to pay 50K per year in salary to pay these loans down. If you got a public health job you are probably going to make 110-120k which would be equivalent to 160-170k in the private sector because of the loan payback. You will also probably have health insurance and 30 days paid vacation. If you get that monthly stipend during school it becomes a no-brainer to me, I would take the scholarship.

Out of curiosity, what scholarship program are you debating? I am trying to find the right ones to apply to as public health seems like the route to go but the IHS one you need to be native american.

Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having dealt with student loans myself, I would avoid any debt if possible and would definitely go for public health. While comparing 140k to 300k may make it seem like 140k is small potatoes, I assure you that it is still a large sum of money.

Besides, public health is NOT the military. You can easily do it for a short amount of time as well, in which they'll pay back a portion of your loans, should you feel it's something you can't deal with any longer, you just move on and pay the loans back yourself.

sacapuntas

Verified Account
Reaction score
Having dealt with student loans myself, I would avoid any debt if possible and would definitely go for public health. While comparing 140k to 300k may make it seem like 140k is small potatoes, I assure you that it is still a large sum of money.

Besides, public health is NOT the military. You can easily do it for a short amount of time as well, in which they'll pay back a portion of your loans, should you feel it's something you can't deal with any longer, you just move on and pay the loans back yourself.

Kahr, what public health programs are you considering? Are you aware of any public health scholarships that provide a stipend in school for those who are Caucasian?

dantemac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with public health? You'll see a smattering of cases.

Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kahr, what public health programs are you considering? Are you aware of any public health scholarships that provide a stipend in school for those who are Caucasian?

I am not considering public health, as I have taken a Navy scholarship, however I am interested in it, and have considered working in a community clinic or in federal/state service after my military obligation.

Your ethnic background shouldn't be an issue, at least to my knowledge, feel free to provide evidence to the contrary if you've seen it. The only public health scholarship that provides a stipend during school is under the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, as far as I know. Unfortunately the USPHS scholarship is ridiculously competitive, so I didn't even bother looking into it as an option.

What is wrong with public health? You'll see a smattering of cases.

They don't make fat stacks of $$$? ;)

sacapuntas

Verified Account
Reaction score
I am not considering public health, as I have taken a Navy scholarship, however I am interested in it, and have considered working in a community clinic or in federal/state service after my military obligation.

Your ethnic background shouldn't be an issue, at least to my knowledge, feel free to provide evidence to the contrary if you've seen it. The only public health scholarship that provides a stipend during school is under the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, as far as I know. Unfortunately the USPHS scholarship is ridiculously competitive, so I didn't even bother looking into it as an option.

The IHS provides a scholarship to those students who are Alaskan Natives and Native Americans where a 2K monthly stipend is provided in exchange for 4 years of service on Indian Reservations or to Alaska Native populations. The scholarship taker has some control over what part of the country they will end up serving. It is a good deal for those who might qualify, as loan forgiveness is part of the program as well.

Look at page 7: http://www.ihs.gov/scholarship/handbooks/student_handbook.pdf

Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The IHS provides a scholarship to those students who are Alaskan Natives and Native Americans where a 2K monthly stipend is provided in exchange for 4 years of service on Indian Reservations or to Alaska Native populations. The scholarship taker has some control over what part of the country they will end up serving. It is a good deal for those who might qualify, as loan forgiveness is part of the program as well.

Look at page 7: http://www.ihs.gov/scholarship/handbooks/student_handbook.pdf

Good information for those eligible. While I had heard of this scholarship, it didn't cross my mind in light of the question you initially asked.

I'd like to point out that there are plenty of caucasians who hold native American ancestry and/or are Alaskan natives and could still be possibly eligible for that IHS scholarship. I'm guessing based on your initial question this isn't you though? ;)

sacapuntas

Verified Account
Reaction score
Good information for those eligible. While I had heard of this scholarship, it didn't cross my mind in light of the question you initially asked.

I'd like to point out that there are plenty of caucasians who hold native American ancestry and/or are Alaskan natives and could still be possibly eligible for that IHS scholarship. I'm guessing based on your initial question this isn't you though? ;)

You are correct, that does not apply to me. They are actually pretty stringent on proving your ancestry as a lot of people have a family tale about their great grandma being half Cherokee or something similar that is completely unverifiable. And by Alaskan Native, I believe they don't mean grew up in Alaska but rather they are of Inuit ancestry or something similar.