This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Dionysus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
USF is not worth 160k over Texas Tech, and the difference in ranking is not significant. Lubbock isn't great but Tampa and Allentown (it's 60+ miles from Philadelphia, I would not count it as Philly-area) aren't exactly cities to flock to either. True P/F is a big plus too.

Reactions: 1 user
The USF SELECT program is definitely a great choice, but I feel like you should heavily consider Texas Tech over it. It seems that your main cause of concern with Texas Tech is the location. With the SELECT program, you will only have two years in Tampa and realistically you won't have a great deal of free time to take full advantage of the location because of the demand of your studies. As Skittsie13 mentioned, Allentown is over 60 miles from Philly, so you won't really have easy access to the city either. At the end of the day, your medical school education is what you make of it and if you're willing to work hard, you can find research opportunities and achieve academically wherever you end up. I definitely don't think it's worth spending an extra $160,000 just so you can live in Tampa for two years. Just work hard at Texas Tech and you're opportunities are endless.

If you haven’t made a decision, feel free to DM me. I was accepted to tech and chose to CTE if you have any questions.

i was debating this exact same decision when i was choosin a med school. I am no an M3 at texas tech. I have loved the program so far. Although somtimes i wonder if i made the right decision or not and if the school ranking matters enough for the extra debt. Back then debt scared me a lot more than it does now. I'm sure both programs are amazing in their own ways, Morsani select would have cost me almost double.

I am going to offer a contrary position than most. Although fit in the town that surrounds you is a material consideration, I would still think seriously about Texas Tech. Unless money is not a factor, $40,000 per year and $160,000 in total will have a material affect on your financial freedom after medical school. In addition, you are likely to be extremely busy in medical school, rather than spending time out on the town. Plus, the cohort that you’ll likely interact with is unlikely to share an “own the libs“ mentality that you described. In fact, you may find yourself forming a bond with the other students as you go through the experience of living in Lubbock together. Also, you will enjoy the P/F curriculum (and will not have to stress and compete with others) while you get your bearings. Either way you go, you’re in for an incredible journey. I wish you good luck, future doctor.