Saturday’s Child

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2018
  1. Medical Student
    On your AMCAS app, any “publication” entry is specifically used for citing the actual article—NOT for describing in detail what your motives were, what you contributed, etc. In this entry, you just write out the full citation of the article and the single date it was published, and the hours can be “0” if you have a separate entry describing the research experience in more depth. This separate research entry would also be the space where you say how many hours you spent.

You can allude to your publication in this general research entry, but I believe you can and should have a separate entry solely dedicated to citing that publication. So, based on the options you’ve presented, go with the first set, but modify it like this:

Experience Type: Publication
    Experience Name: “__ author of (topic of article, e.g. 3D printing) publication”
    Date: Pub Date
    Hours: 0
    Description: pub citation

And another activity as:
    Experience Type: Research/Lab
    Experience Name: research assistant in (insert topic, e.g. tissue engineering) lab
    Date: x/2019-x/2020
    Hours: 300
    Description: Concise overview of what your lab did, what your projects were focused on, and maybe briefly listing some of your roles/skills.
    MME: Explain why the experience was meaningful. Maybe talk about what drew you to this type of research, why you were fascinated by it or why it was important that you leveraged it to find solutions to problems you cared about. Allude to the project that produced the publication (i.e. through our collective efforts, we discovered ___. These results were ultimately published in (insert journal), and I’m very honored to have contributed to the advancement of cancer/AIDS/diabetes care.)

Reactions: 1 user
    About the Ads

Kumorebi

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    2+ Year Member
    Silver Member
    Jun 21, 2017
    1. Medical Student
      Should I mark the publication or the research experience as MME?

Is there anything wrong with citing it all within Research/Lab and just putting the publication citation within the experience description box and describing the details under MME description? I'm just afraid the publication will be overlooked if don't cite it as MME as one school I interviwed at for example only provided interviewers with the MME. On the other hand, I also think it could be kinda weird if I describe the pub in the MME research experience but also have a separate entry just for a citation.
      I put my lab experience as most meaningful and used the space to talk about why. Why would you waste that space citing your pub? I cited my pub in a publication entry and wrote what my contribution was below it. I had 0 hours as it overlapped with my research experience which was most meaningful.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
      10+ Year Member
      Gold Member
      Jul 26, 2009
      The Big Bad Apple
      1. Non-Student
        I put my lab experience as most meaningful and used the space to talk about why. Why would you waste that space citing your pub? I cited my pub in a publication entry and wrote what my contribution was below it. I had 0 hours as it overlapped with my research experience which was most meaningful.
        If it was meaningful yes, if it wasnt most meaningful, then no. No adcom will care or somehow give you brownie points for making a certain kind/type of activity most meaningful. In reading an application, lacking sincerity, forced writing to make it seem something it isnt really can get you put in the reject pile

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
        10+ Year Member
        Gold Member
        Jul 26, 2009
        The Big Bad Apple
        1. Non-Student
          You should have two entries for this: one for your research experience and another for your publication.
          Just to add, this is for a published or accepted paper that you can cite. If you have research with a paper that is only in prep or submitted, that is a line to add to the research activity as you wont have a publication activity

Reactions: 1 users
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.