This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJ2017025

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
too many state schools and too few privates...

Overall GPA: 3.633
Science GPA: 3.58

DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 20, TS 19, Bio 19, GC 20, OC 20, PA 18, QR 20, RC 20
State of Residence: CA

Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
No

Shadowing Experience: 250 hours including orthodontics and general dentist

Volunteering Experience: 130 hours with a school club, 75 hours tutoring elementary students

Employment: 450 hours of cleaning/restocking tools at an orthodontics office

Research: None

LOR type and strength: Committee (strong)

School List:
Tufts University
Boston University
University of Maryland
University of Connecticut
University of Colorado
UNLV
Midwestern-AZ
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Marquette University
University of Pennsylvania (reach I know)
University of Columbia (reach I know)
Temple University
University of Pittsburg
Virginia Commonwealth University
University at Buffalo
University of Michigan
Rutgers University

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a CA resident or a MA one?
MA resident
^ from January

I think some of the schools on your list aren't very OOS friendly like Buffalo and Michigan I think. The others may be OOS friendly but does your DAT fit in with their averages? Use this to see: Dental School Statistics

Reactions: 1 user
Overall GPA: 3.633
Science GPA: 3.58

DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 20, TS 19, Bio 19, GC 20, OC 20, PA 18, QR 20, RC 20
State of Residence: MA

Major:
Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
No

Shadowing Experience: 250 hours including orthodontics and general dentist

Volunteering Experience: 130 hours with a school club, 75 hours tutoring elementary students

Employment: 450 hours of cleaning/restocking tools at an orthodontics office

Research: None

LOR type and strength: Committee (strong)

School List:
Tufts University
Boston University
University of Maryland
University of Connecticut
University of Colorado
UNLV
Midwestern-AZ
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Marquette University
University of Pennsylvania (reach I know)
University of Columbia (reach I know)
Temple University
University of Pittsburg
Virginia Commonwealth University
University at Buffalo
University of Michigan
Rutgers University
Why buffalo but not stony brook?

Most of the schools on my list that are public have the highest OOS acceptance (using ADEA guide), but I know what you mean. I ended up adding UNE and that is a private. I have 10 private schools on my list now, I think that is good enough?
Should be fine. I applied to a similar amount of OOS friendly schools and it turned out to be a waste of a rent payment in fees

I like your list given your stats and what your looking for in a school. Were you looking to apply to all 18 or edit the list?

I would love to save money and apply to least possible, but with my scores I think I need to apply to all (money not issue though). What do you think? All schools on my list I can see myself going to

I say 14-15 schools is safe without being overkill, but I typically say that for people with more safety schools. Since your app is well rounded, I think you can get away with having your list and just advise taking off the least OOS friendly schools (relative to the others on the list) if your goal is to get rid of a couple of schools. That being said, unless you’re uber competitive, I find that standard competitive applicants tend to get interviews from about half of the schools they apply to as a rule of thumb. So if you apply to 18, you can guess you may receive around 9 interviews, which may not be a crazy idea, if you’re willing to spend the $.