`

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyhandsbob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As for #3, there's no compiled data for this. Australia didn't even make the list last time they did a charting outcomes by country in 2014. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf

Ask the school you're going to apply to about match rates for their US graduates.

US-IMG match rate average was 61% this year. You will have a pretty solid backup plan though as Australia is one of the best places to be a physician along with US and Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I am considering attending a MD program in Australia (I'm from the US). I'm aware of all the challenges getting residency in US or internship in Australia. I have a few questions:

1) When do US MD students in Australia study & take the USMLE Step 1? ( non-Ochsner students), given that the end of year 2 is in December, which is half way through the medical school year in the US. Same question for the Step 2 exams.

2) When do international students arranging own elective rotation in US 4th year usually do said rotations, assuming their school does not have an arrangement with a US hospital? (given again the mismatch in academic year start/end dates)?

3) Are there any statistics/ resources available for % of international student MD graduates from Australia matching into US residencies? (and potentially what /where they matched into).

4) If you studied for USMLE while studying medicine in Australia, how well did you think the first 2 years in Australian med school prepared you for the USMLE ? I've heard some discussion regarding the basic sciences sometimes not being covered in Australia at the level needed for USMLE.

Thanks for your help!

1) When do they study and take the USMLE? Whenever they want. Australian schools do not cater towards students who want to sit the USMLE. There is overlap in the curriculum but a significant amount the minutia is simply not covered in a lot of Australian curriculums. To sit the USMLE as an Australian medical student you must begin your ECFMG certification process. It is essentially an organization that will verify your identity and that you do in fact go to a reputable medical school. Once they do that they will allow you to sit the USMLE whenever you want.

2) USA Elective rotations as a 4th year Australian medical student. Good luck with that. Not saying that it is not doable but finding one that accepts international students and falls in line with your schools time line is very hard. I know from personal experience. Unless you pay one of those organizations that will place you in an "elective". Not the best option but at least it will give you US clinical experience and a possible LOR.

3) I have not found those stats. Stats on IMG match rates overall are available though. If you find ones about Aus med grads let me know.

4) Yeah it is rather poor prep. First principles are taught very well but they do forgo a lot of the minutia. But if you are a good student you should be fine. You do what every other student has done. Buy a a Q bank or two, work through all the questions, do a bit of ANKI and read first aide. It is very beatable, like every other standardized test.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any other questions. Would love to help a fellow Yank out with their medical aspirations. There are a lot of things I had wished I had know prior to coming here that I think would have made a huge difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) You can sit the USMLE whenever you want. Advisable to sit Step 1 after first half of medical school, when you're probably most fresh with the pre-clinical science knowledge. Advisable to sit Step 2 after your medical school exit exams, when you're probably most fresh following your clinical clerkships/rotations and with your clinical knowledge and skills. Concerning Step 3, you should sit this after gaining at least a year or more of clinical experience as a junior doctor at a United States hospital.

2) Aussie medical schools typically have their elective rotations in final year. You can go wherever you want as long as you identify your objectives and get accepted by a reputable supervising university medical school and hospital. My experience is that the popular medical schools in the US and UK are hard to get electives as students, as they're competitive already, but you can try your luck. Also another factor is how much you're willing to pay. Most student electives cost a decent sum of money to be paid to the supervising university overseas, and that's in addition to the travel costs.

3) I would imagine the statistics are very varied regarding Aussie graduates in US residency programs; and if there are any robust stats, the percentage would be relatively low and fluctuates by location and the individual residency program. I would presume each state medical board would keep a dataset on which university the clinician graduates from, and from that you could work out the percentage of Aussies. Although I'm not sure if they publish this information openly.

4) Aussie med schools teach basic sciences but not to the degree of USMLE Step 1. There are enough rapid review books for USMLE that you can cram the stuff pretty easily though, watch online lectures that help consolidate the information, and then practice some questions. Ironically I found studying the USMLE stuff better prepared me for my internal medical school exams. But like most things, you train/study for the test you're going to sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.