This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comrade.mowgli

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!! So I can only speak for Hopkins, but I've talked to a bunch of students and can share what I've learned from them to address some of your JHU points:
  • Student-run free clinic: I think Hopkins does have free clinics where students can volunteer (not 100% sure about student run?), but they're not super well advertised: Shepherd Clinic, Healthcare for the Homeless, Chase Brexton (someone pls correct me if I'm wrong)
  • AOA: luckily is awarded after the Match, so I've heard it doesn't make a difference or foster a competitive atmosphere
  • Gunnery reputation: I was worried about this too, but I think this reputation comes more from the experience at the undergraduate campus. Every student I've talked to always raves about the student body; the impression that I got is that people are ambitious but also super collaborative and down to earth. Vibe is also something that's hugely important to me, but I don't think there's much to be concerned about re: the student body/atmosphere at JHU! The Molecule system/Colleges also seem awesome.
  • Diversity reflected in pt population: from what I've heard, absolutely 100% yes
You really can't go wrong with any of these options though :) congrats on a great cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi!! So I can only speak for Hopkins, but I've talked to a bunch of students and can share what I've learned from them to address some of your JHU points:
  • Student-run free clinic: I think Hopkins does have free clinics where students can volunteer (not 100% sure about student run?), but they're not super well advertised: Shepherd Clinic, Healthcare for the Homeless, Chase Brexton (someone pls correct me if I'm wrong)
  • AOA: luckily is awarded after the Match, so I've heard it doesn't make a difference or foster a competitive atmosphere
  • Gunnery reputation: I was worried about this too, but I think this reputation comes more from the experience at the undergraduate campus. Every student I've talked to always raves about the student body; the impression that I got is that people are ambitious but also super collaborative and down to earth. Vibe is also something that's hugely important to me, but I don't think there's much to be concerned about re: the student body/atmosphere at JHU! The Molecule system/Colleges also seem awesome.
  • Diversity reflected in pt population: from what I've heard, absolutely 100% yes
You really can't go wrong with any of these options though :) congrats on a great cycle!
Thank you, roasted_oolong! This definitely helps clear things up on that side. =)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
The HST program was literally made for you! Like your background and your interests really go hand-in-hand with the HST mission. Plus, the connections you will make along the way I think will set you up to make the greatest impact on healthcare delivery in the future imho. Congratulations on your acceptances, you have done amazing!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, all three of these seem like a great fit for you. After reading the first comment from @roasted_oolong (looks like pretty much all of your negatives for Hopkins disappeared), I voted for Hopkins. Either way, I loved reading your post and seeing your passion for serving the GS and remedying the relationship between medicine and marginalized/exploited communities. Looking forward to being colleagues in medicine, comrade!

• Love
Harvard does not actually have a student-run clinic, either! It was defunded this year, lol.

Edit: I also think the patient population you would see in Baltimore would be of greater interest to you. Most (not all!) of the underserved patients in Boston go to BMC, not the Harvard hospitals. Also, I liked that at Hopkins you can rotate at community hospitals too, I think? But overall, congrats on these great options! If I were you I would let the financial aid awards be my deciding factor, personally.

Harvard does not actually have a student-run clinic, either! It was defunded this year, lol.

Edit: I also think the patient population you would see in Baltimore would be of greater interest to you. Most (not all!) of the underserved patients in Boston go to BMC, not the Harvard hospitals. Also, I liked that at Hopkins you can rotate at community hospitals too, I think? But overall, congrats on these great options! If I were you I would let the financial aid awards be my deciding factor, personally.
Care to elaborate on the (presumably CCC) defunding? Thanks

I've heard from current Hopkins medical students that they don't feel supported by their admin.

• Wow
Yes I’m also curious! The CCC Twitter was still fairly active as of last month... @purpleaux3 do you have any more information on this?
I heard this from a student during my interview day! Look at their tweet from December 11, actually, it looks like they shared the message received from admin.

Edit: But definitely ask current students/admin to confirm!

I heard this from a student during my interview day! Look at their tweet from December 11, actually, it looks like they shared the message received from admin.

Edit: But definitely ask current students/admin to confirm!
You’re right, it does seem that the network has lost some funding from donors! I wonder if it’s being eliminated or downsized (and if there’s any distinction there beyond the semantic).

Congratulations! I had a very similar decisions a few years back and also have a mix of a quantitative background with career goals of applying it to the underserved. I'm better positioned to comment on the HMS options, but will throw in my 2 cents.

1. Global Health = Draw. HMS and Hopkins are definitively THE global health names, so you can't go wrong there. HMS obviously has the Partners in Health connection, but after spending a good amount of time in global health pre medical school and interacting more with partners people here, I think they are equally good/better orgs both in Boston and at other universities. Partner's just by far has the best PR, which tends to happen to most thinks Harvard.

2. Underserved/Community Health = Edge Hopkins?. CCC funding is unclear (was defunded and now has gotten re-funded to reopen *some* sites), but even when it was running it was much less impressive than experiences at some other schools. Clinics aren't medical student run, the locations are far flung, and there are relatively few volunteer slots within reasonable commute distance. Also Harvard affiliates and hospitals are just generally better talking about disparities then actually putting in the money/effort to impact it. I'm sure this is true to some level at all private institutions, but I think it's particularly so here given that there is less of a need for them in Boston (MassCare works quite well), and it just seems free clinics are an after thought rather than a central student experience. Hopkins may also lack student run clinics, but I imagine it's at least easier to find volunteer times and locations than it can be here. There's also just much greater need in Baltimore than in Boston.

3. Clinical training/opportunity- Draw. Harvard is Harvard and Hopkins is synonymous with medicine.

4. Device design - Draw? I've only dabbled in the echo system here, but Boston is a hotbed for health tech and with MIT + Harvard you could surely find great labs. Hopkins is the general BME leader though and has an applied innovation focus for global health that is part of its MBA program, so I would think it is as good, and perhaps a better outlined path.

HST v. Pathways I think comes to what you value more. Pathways gives you a LOT more free time, but tends to have less cohesive classes full of very different people. The coursework can also often seem handwavy without a satisfactory scientific or quantitative underpinning. HST everyone is focused on academia/science and is struggling through the nitty gritty together, but they sacrifice a lot of time to pursue other passions and to refine their specialty choice.

Good luck with the choice and feel free to PM if you have any more questions.

• Wow
wow...congrats on a great cycle. At first glance, I was going to say HST is the best fit for you. I still may believe that, but I feel like you can do well at Hopkins and it's cheaper as well. My vote is HST at the end of the day.

Congratulations! I had a very similar decisions a few years back and also have a mix of a quantitative background with career goals of applying it to the underserved. I'm better positioned to comment on the HMS options, but will throw in my 2 cents.

1. Global Health = Draw. HMS and Hopkins are definitively THE global health names, so you can't go wrong there. HMS obviously has the Partners in Health connection, but after spending a good amount of time in global health pre medical school and interacting more with partners people here, I think they are equally good/better orgs both in Boston and at other universities. Partner's just by far has the best PR, which tends to happen to most thinks Harvard.

2. Underserved/Community Health = Edge Hopkins?. CCC funding is unclear (was defunded and now has gotten re-funded to reopen *some* sites), but even when it was running it was much less impressive than experiences at some other schools. Clinics aren't medical student run, the locations are far flung, and there are relatively few volunteer slots within reasonable commute distance. Also Harvard affiliates and hospitals are just generally better talking about disparities then actually putting in the money/effort to impact it. I'm sure this is true to some level at all private institutions, but I think it's particularly so here given that there is less of a need for them in Boston (MassCare works quite well), and it just seems free clinics are an after thought rather than a central student experience. Hopkins may also lack student run clinics, but I imagine it's at least easier to find volunteer times and locations than it can be here. There's also just much greater need in Baltimore than in Boston.

3. Clinical training/opportunity- Draw. Harvard is Harvard and Hopkins is synonymous with medicine.

4. Device design - Draw? I've only dabbled in the echo system here, but Boston is a hotbed for health tech and with MIT + Harvard you could surely find great labs. Hopkins is the general BME leader though and has an applied innovation focus for global health that is part of its MBA program, so I would think it is as good, and perhaps a better outlined path.

HST v. Pathways I think comes to what you value more. Pathways gives you a LOT more free time, but tends to have less cohesive classes full of very different people. The coursework can also often seem handwavy without a satisfactory scientific or quantitative underpinning. HST everyone is focused on academia/science and is struggling through the nitty gritty together, but they sacrifice a lot of time to pursue other passions and to refine their specialty choice.

Good luck with the choice and feel free to PM if you have any more questions.
Thank you for the amazingly thorough answer, @crimson-cat !!! I have a lot to ruminate on.

WOW! Congratulations. You were admitted into TWO Harvard MD programs. Definitely matriculate to Harvard, OP. This is a no-brainer. Harvard is known worldwide and is arguably the greatest university on the planet. I usually tell people that rank isn't everything -- you have to think about cost differential, weather, living near/away from family, where you want to practice, where your significant other lives (if you have one), etc. But this is a no-brainer. Harvard all day.

EDIT: You said that Baltimore is "lovely." Haha that's very interesting! I rarely ever hear that. The weather can sometimes be miserable. Baltimore has one of the highest usage rates of heroine. Boston is absolutely amazing -- decently close to NYC, Philly, etc. With regards to your other reasons, I see Harvard as the next chapter of your life. You cannot pass up the opportunity to rotate at MGH and other insanely prestigious places. Please don't miss that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Based on your list, one of the main differences is the class size; HST is more tight-knit, whereas Pathways is larger and provides you with more opportunities for meeting other future doctors (a great plus!). I personally would choose Pathways over HST because the pre-clinical period is condensed, thus allowing you to become the best clinician possible and gain clinical experience as early as possible (also helps you with Step 2!). So congratulations. To sum it up: the question is not whether you're going to Harvard, but rather which Harvard program you want.

• Dislike
The HST program was literally made for you! Like your background and your interests really go hand-in-hand with the HST mission. Plus, the connections you will make along the way I think will set you up to make the greatest impact on healthcare delivery in the future imho. Congratulations on your acceptances, you have done amazing!!!
Yeah, I think this is one of the best responses I read on this thread. HST fits you perfectly. My only complaint is that the class size is small, so does that matter to you OP? Can you still connect with students in the Pathways program? Networking can be huge (Trust me. You never know when it'll matter lol), and it's always nice to befriend future doctors...

But back to the main point (I made quite a few posts)... to sum it up, assuming there's no huge turn-off about HST:

HST > Pathways >>> Hopkins.

hi op! i would personally caution you against choosing hms purely because it's hms (but i think you knew that already). these are literally the top two med schools in the country; definitely put more weight into things like fit and how well you vibe with each program after revisit/second look. (disclaimer: i may be biased bc im leaning towards matriculating to jhu in the fall and am super excited. i still don't think you can go wrong with any choice!)

hi op! i would personally caution you against choosing hms purely because it's hms (but i think you knew that already). these are literally the top two med schools in the country; definitely put more weight into things like fit and how well you vibe with each program after revisit/second look. (disclaimer: i may be biased bc im leaning towards matriculating to jhu in the fall and am super excited. i still don't think you can go wrong with any choice!)
Hmmm this is solid advice but I have to disagree. And this is coming from someone who successfully matched into one of the best derm programs in the country lol (I mean this in a humble way! I'm just qualifying myself).

Rank isn't everything, but Harvard truly is the exception. In any case, our disagreement won't matter much to @comrade.mowgli because Harvard is his/her best option anyways based on OP's pros/cons (specifically HST based on his/her interests).