-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeadocta23

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! I’ve made my decision

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know you want some deep analysis of the pros and cons here, but frankly, the most important differentiating factor is indeed the MD vs. DO as price is equal. You will sadly close off some opportunities if you pick DO, especially as it’s a new school. So in your case, the blanket statement is true.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Money, prestige, and family are the three factors that matter most.

-Equal price
-Not only is UIWSOM a new DO school (the bottom of the barrel in prestige), it is especially well known as a DO school that is doing poorly. It was on the Goro bad boy list last time I checked.
-TCU is closer to home for you, so you’ll have a better support system

TCU, no brainer

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a pre-med, I fell for the DO philosophy too. But now, as a 3rd year DO student, let me tell you it's all BS. OMM is the only difference between MD and DO nothing else. Sometimes, I wish I could go back in time to slap some sense on my younger self into taking the MCAT more seriously and avoid DO altogether. But it's too late for me now, Go to the MD school and save yourself while you can from jumping through many more hoops only to end up in worse position than our MD colleagues. If you want to learn OMM, you can still do it as an MD although I don't know why you would want to subject yourself to learning things like Chapman points and Cranial manipulation which have no basis whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 user
UIWSOM was literally ranked the WORST medical school in the entire country out of ~200 or so MD + DO schools. I would take the MD even if UIWSOM paid you $100k to attend.

From my friend group 3 constantly said they'd restart as M2s at an MD school if given the chance (as M3 DOs) and one was happy (state DO school). Like others said, you'll have to work 10 times as hard and jump through 20 times as many hoops as a DO to get bread crumbs left by MDs. In theory, I could do the bare minimum at my MD school, barely pass, no ECs or research, and still have better shot of matching than an above-average DO. Don't handicap yourself because you believe in some philosophy hocus pocus.

If you had said TCOM vs TCU and TCOM made more sense for you I'd say go for it. The state DO schools are awesome and I know people who picked them over lower-tier MD. But never a private/new DO over an MD.
I was going to say the same thing. If it were TCOM vs TCU that might be a different discussion. I've heard some poor things about UIWSOM as well.

Last edited:
I was going to say the same thing. If it were TCOM vs TCU that might be a different discussion. I've heard some poor things about UIWSOM as well.
Thank you for your reply! Would it be possible for you to elaborate on some of the poor things you’ve heard about the school?

Money, prestige, and family are the three factors that matter most.

-Equal price
-Not only is UIWSOM a new DO school (the bottom of the barrel in prestige), it is especially well known as a DO school that is doing poorly. It was on the Goro bad boy list last time I checked.
-TCU is closer to home for you, so you’ll have a better support system

TCU, no brainer
Thanks for your insight! Any chance you could point me to this bad boy list? I’ve scoured sdn and could not find where Goro said anything about UIW other than placing it on a list of schools in large cities (an advantage he was pointing out) a couple years back

Thanks for your insight! Any chance you could point me to this bad boy list? I’ve scoured sdn and could not find where Goro said anything about UIW other than placing it on a list of schools in large cities (an advantage he was pointing out) a couple years back
I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
I believe UIW has now released their scores, but they’re atrocious, so I doubt they’ve moved from the bad boy list—especially due to their lack of transparency about it. Releasing your scores years later is ridiculous.

In addition to the points others have made about UIW (MD>DO, board pass rates, etc) which I fully agree with theres also two big cons I see. you said UIW has essay style which sounds absolutely horrendous. MCs are bad enough so I think youre really just making your preclinical education harder on yourself going that route. also you mentioned TCU start clerkships in 2nd year which can be a huge advantage because it'll allow much more dedicated research time in 3rd/4th year if you wanna do a competitive specialty. it really seems like a no brainer what most people should choose in this situation. Good luck and congrats on the acceptances

I believe UIW has now released their scores, but they’re atrocious, so I doubt they’ve moved from the bad boy list—especially due to their lack of transparency about it. Releasing your scores years later is ridiculous.
UIW is no longer on my Bad Boy list.

The scores are what you'd expect for a brand new DO school.

Remember, because they are a new school they are forced to accept weaker students, and therefore, that shows up and board scores and attrition