15 Minute Warning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBeanie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for all you fellow MCATers...

During the writing sample, did your proctor give you a 15 minute warning?

It starts at thirty minutes, and my proctor only gave a 5 minute warning. Every time I took a test at Kaplan, they gave us a 15 minute warning. So - I was writing and writing and waiting for the fifteen minute warning that I never got. Needless to say, she called 5 minutes left and I wasn't nearly finished because I was expecting it to be the 15 minute warning!!!

Is there anything official regarding the warning? :confused:

Thanks for all your help - Jenn

Members don't see this ad.

We were only given a 5 minute warning. Our head proctor was very anal and read everything out of the proctor MCAT instruction manual and made sure he followed all the instructions to a tee. He even had two personal timers which he set and synchronized at the beginning of each section. Unless he was mistaken, you're only supposed to receive a 5 minute warning.

yea i didn't get one either

but don't you people keep tract of your own time at least occasionally?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrBeanie said:

It starts at thirty minutes, and my proctor only gave a 5 minute warning. Every time I took a test at Kaplan, they gave us a 15 minute warning. So - I was writing and writing and waiting for the fifteen minute warning that I never got. Needless to say, she called 5 minutes left and I wasn't nearly finished because I was expecting it to be the 15 minute warning!!!

Is there anything official regarding the warning?

The official warnings come at 45 mins and 5 mins into PS/BS/VR and only 5 mins left in Writing. Kaplan screwed this up for me too. They were giving 10 minute and 5 minute warnings. I told them to stop doing that, but the beeper still kept going off at 10 and 5's. They did the same thing on writing. It really does screw you up.

DrBeanie said:

Is there anything official regarding the warning? :confused:

Thanks for all your help - Jenn
The only thing that is official is that you are a ******* for not taking the responsibility for timing yourself.

Skiz Knot:

That response was completely uncalled for. You're the ******* to resort to name calling in a friendly forum. Take yourself elsewhere - not on our site - because we sure don't want your pejorative comments here.

In retort to your ******* comment, I dare to compare my grades with yours any day of the week. I'm surely not stupid. The lack of 15 minute response from my proctor simply threw me off on the first essay, as Kaplan had consistently reminded us as to the half way mark.

I'm sorry that you feel so bad about yourself that you need to call others names. I ask the others in the forum to forgive you for such uncouth behavior.

Others in the forum may join me and give this jackass a :thumbdown:

DrBeanie said:
Skiz Knot:

That response was completely uncalled for. You're the ******* to resort to name calling in a friendly forum. Take yourself elsewhere - not on our site - because we sure don't want your pejorative comments here.

In retort to your ******* comment, I dare to compare my grades with yours any day of the week. I'm surely not stupid. The lack of 15 minute response from my proctor simply threw me off on the first essay, as Kaplan had consistently reminded us as to the half way mark.

I'm sorry that you feel so bad about yourself that you need to call others names. I ask the others in the forum to forgive you for such uncouth behavior.

i would but when i reda his response i was like WHOA THATS FUNNY
besides i took kaplan and it messed me up on PS and now im too insane to care
so go skiznot be a damn badass if u want

DrBeanie said:
Skiz Knot:

Skiz may have been a little rude, but how did this get to be your site more than his? He's been around plenty.

I agree with his basic premise that you should know what the proctor is going to do if he sticks with the standards. The information is out there. TPR did a really good job of using the standards when they gave diags, I'm sorry your Kaplan class didn't.

i took kaplan and i still found skiz amusing and honest
i say we make him out king!
i shall plunder a ship in his honour!

DrBeanie said:
Skiz Knot:

Where to start...

First, you are a 10+ poster. This is not your site, any more than it is my site. I have the right to have my opinion.

Second, I never brought grades into it. I know a lot of "*******es" who got good grades. I never said you were unintellegent. You just made a ******* mistake. You said that Kaplan "consistantly reminded [you] as to the halfway mark." Did they also, perhaps, remind you that you are ultimately responsible for keeping track of how much time is left? They told you to bring a watch, right?

Third, you feel sorry for me that I call other people names? Isn't that exactly what you did in the second sentance of your reply? Shouldn't YOU feel bad about YOURself that you feel the need to compare yourself to others, in order to make you fell better about yourself? My overall GPA 3.3, sciGPA 3.2. Not that good, I know. Feel free to compare yourself to me all you want, as I'm sure you did better. Please keep in mind though that I had enough common sense to keep track of time on the MCAT, allowing me to score a 34.

I guess you probably have been spoonfed everything in life, and have had many people around to stroke your ego, that is the reason why, that with less than 50 posts, you think you have any pull with the other SDNers to join together in denouncing/forgiving my behaviour. Yes, you are correct in stating that "Others in the forum may join me and give this jackass a :thumbdown:,", but so far it seems that nobody really has. The people who have posted before me in my defense (specifically moosepilot and dieselpetrolgrl) are smart enough to realize that I was just giving you a dose of reality and honesty. If you can't handle that, I'm sorry.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
i took kaplan and i still found skiz amusing and honest
i say we make him out king!
i shall plunder a ship in his honour!

Thanks. But I'm a little confused. Do I get a share of the "booty"?

Ye get a share as being the king and funding meh voyage across dem oceans!
The ships in boys? when the aamc bobs ..torn..plank from plank!..in de mid October storms

dhoonlee ye be my jolly parrot's meal ...unless ye walk de'plank!
there be no need fo'mutiny on me'ship!

back to the topic with ye..before we be moved to shallow waters of the LOUNGE!

that is my brother in Eyeshadow!..he be a yellow bellied pig!
is that a mcat book in his hand?..yahhh practice for the VR i see!

Kaplan always gave us 5 minute warnings and that's it. I was surprised to get the 45 minute warning, as well, but it didn't make any difference to me. During the three MC sections, I keep track of the time. During writing, I never look at my watch. In fact, I forgot to set it for the first writing sample. I always like to have 10 minutes left for task 3, but I'm just fine with a couple less, and can you usually patch something together even in 5 or 6.

Such a tiny issue to inflame such hurt feelings.

When you dismiss someone as ******* you are asking them to come back with a incendiary post saying you're jackass. So the OP goes a little over the top in her reply, which is understandable when you are suddenly called a ******* out of nowhere. Then her opponent, obviously more seasoned in the art of web forum jousting, seize this over-reaction and come back with an itemized attack that accuse OP of being a hypocrite and spoon-fed, and piously profess that his only purpose is to elucidate reality.

SDN is a friendly and helpful place for the most part and I hope it stays that way. A little tact in the beginning would have avoided these little ego wars over nothing.

silkworm said:
Such a tiny issue to inflame such hurt feelings.

When you dismiss someone as ******* you are asking them to come back with a incendiary post saying you're jackass. So the OP goes a little over the top in her reply, which is understandable when you are suddenly called a ******* out of nowhere. Then her opponent, obviously more seasoned in the art of web forum jousting, seize this over-reaction and come back with an itemized attack that accuse OP of being a hypocrite and spoon-fed, and piously profess that his only purpose is to elucidate reality.

SDN is a friendly and helpful place for the most part and I hope it stays that way. A little tact in the beginning would have avoided these little ego wars over nothing.
friendly till ye cross my path ..land-luver silkworm...

DieselPetrolGrl said:
friendly till ye cross my path ..land-luver silkworm...

Hey Diesel, I think you have literally driven yourself off the deep end. You let sir drake ruin your life!

VPDcurt said:
Hey Diesel, I think you have literally driven yourself off the deep end. You let sir drake ruin your life!
i let myself ruin my life?
..explain of ye walk the plank!