15 year old in India performs surgery under the supervision of 2 doctors!!!???!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerful_squib

Snoop dogg resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw this online today and couldn't believe my eyes. A boy of 15 performed a C-section with his doctor parents at his side. The reason why, his father wanted him to get in the Guiness World Book of Records as the world's youngest surgeon. WTF!!!! That might not even happen because the father might now face an inquiry and get his liscense revoked.

Here's the link to the article if you want to read it.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...d-by-teen-sparks-outrage/20070621132109990001

Members don't see this ad.

Not if it was performed in India. India doesn't produce quality doctors like the US anyway

Not if it was performed in India. India doesn't produce quality doctors like the US anyway

Whatever. :rolleyes: One of the physicians I shadowed is from India, she's one of the smartest and most personable doctors I have ever met.

Members don't see this ad :)

You would be surprised to see how many people go to indian to get surgery like lasik to fix their eyes. The docs in india have done so many procedures they are all experts. A doc I worked with india told me how his friend in the UK does like 4 cataract cases a week while he could easilly do 20 cases.

If I was fifteen there is no way I would want to do a C-section. Poor kid is probably scarred for life. Now a labotomy would have been something to brag about :)

Who cares. White guys are hotter anyway. Ask Asian, Caucasian, Latina and even Indian girls

Whatever. :rolleyes: One of the physicians I shadowed is from India, she's one of the smartest and most personable doctors I have ever met.

She also probably did her residency in America. Residency is where you learn real medicine.

I agree with that guy on probationary status cuz I've had some bad experiences this summer with a doc in India who was the most incompetent person I'd met in my life. My father also was misdiagnosed by a doctor in India.

If they trained in America and went back to India I'd have more trust in them but I don't think Indian facilities are that good nor are they as sterile either.

She also probably did her residency in America. Residency is where you learn real medicine.

I agree with that guy on probationary status cuz I've had some bad experiences this summer with a doc in India who was the most incompetent person I'd met in my life. My father also was misdiagnosed by a doctor in India.

If they trained in America and went back to India I'd have more trust in them but I don't think Indian facilities are that good nor are they as sterile either.

True their are ****ty med schools in india. But if the doctor is trained at the reputable ones you should not face a problem. i was actually quite amazed when I went there and worked with the doc I worked with. He performed old school cataract eye surgeries when we set up camp in a small town super far away from his clinic. At his clinic he did the standard PHACO procedure so he had it all. I'm sure a lot of docs here in the states wouldn't be able to function without there high tech stuff... this doc still was capable doing the old school surgeries which was very helpful for our mission.

I just saw this online today and couldn't believe my eyes. A boy of 15 performed a C-section with his doctor parents at his side. The reason why, his father wanted him to get in the Guiness World Book of Records as the world's youngest surgeon. WTF!!!! That might not even happen because the father might now face an inquiry and get his liscense revoked.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...d-by-teen-sparks-outrage/20070621132109990001

Since Indian parents are always pushing their kids, this doesn't surprise me. Do you think it will be a hook for med school?

True their are ****ty med schools in india. But if the doctor is trained at the reputable ones you should not face a problem. i was actually quite amazed when I went there and worked with the doc I worked with. He performed old school cataract eye surgeries when we set up camp in a small town super far away from his clinic. At his clinic he did the standard PHACO procedure so he had it all. I'm sure a lot of docs here in the states wouldn't be able to function without there high tech stuff... this doc still was capable doing the old school surgeries which was very helpful for our mission.

Yeah you make a good point and those are the kinda docs we need. I guess I was ranting because the bad experience I had this summer and the misdiagnosis my dad was given a few years ago by a doctor there.

I think the school in Banglore and Kerala are supposedly very reputable though.

Members don't see this ad :)

If that happened in America the doctor would go to jail or be stripped of his license if not at the very least sued off his pants.

Since Indian parents are always pushing their kids, this doesn't surprise me. Do you think it will be a hook for med school?

I am just wondering about this. I took a World History course last quarter, and I learned about the caste system in India. Why would the noble caste want to be doctors anyway? Didn't they move up the caste because of doing good deeds? Many doctors are sinners in the past lives that are seeking ways to redeem themselves: save lives to pay back their past wrong doings. If you guys are already on the top for being good citizens, why do you guys also try to redeem yourselves. You see the conflict. Get it? Which means that the caste system itself is fake. But who cares. Everyone is born equal. Tell your president to get rid of the caste now!

In regards to the original post, in order to be the youngest surgeon you need to be licensed officially as a surgeon.

He could be the youngest to have performed surgery but to actually label yourself as a surgeon you need to be a full licensed and trained professional surgeon.

The youngest med school graduate is actually an indian boy who graduated at 13 years old and went on to do an ophto residency at Harvard. He is actually the youngest doctor.

that was here in America. Now that Korean boy at Pritzker is making strides as youngest person admitted to med school.

Physicians from schools in India like the All India Institute of Medical Sciences are pretty much as good as those trained from some of the best schools in the U.S. No wonder that many of the older physicians/surgeons at Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins Hospital were trained in India.

I am just wondering about this. I took a World History course last quarter, and I learned about the caste system in India. Why would the noble caste want to be doctors anyway? Didn't they move up the caste because of doing good deeds? Many doctors are sinners in the past lives that are seeking ways to redeem themselves: save lives to pay back their past wrong doings. If you guys are already on the top for being good citizens, why do you guys also try to redeem yourselves. You see the conflict. Get it? Which means that the caste system itself is fake. But who cares. Everyone is born equal. Tell your president to get rid of the caste now!

I see you really want to push your probationary status. :eek:

Anyway the whole thing makes no sense. Everyone is sinners in their lives and good deed, or being doctors doesn't redeem them.:thumbdown:

I think the med school hook and guiness book of records was his intent and it's stupid to give up your medical license for that. What is he teaching his son here? :rolleyes:

I saw that **** and I am appalled. What the hell kinda parents are these anyways? They wanted to put the kids in the record book, the dad shoulda let his son perform a fraggin' vasectomy on him...'cause this guy is not fit to have kids.

In regards to the original post, in order to be the youngest surgeon you need to be licensed officially as a surgeon.He could be the youngest to have performed surgery but to actually label yourself as a surgeon you need to be a full licensed and trained professional surgeon.

The youngest med school graduate is actually an indian boy who graduated at 13 years old and went on to do an ophto residency at Harvard. He is actually the youngest doctor.

that was here in America. Now that Korean boy at Pritzker is making strides as youngest person admitted to med school.

oh yeah, I meant to say that in my first post. Good point.:thumbup:

fyi, India no longer uses the caste system. What are they teaching you in your world history class? In making your argument about the noble caste picking the doctor profession, it seems to me that you're the only one doing any discriminating.

With any profession in any country, there are going to be good professionals and bad ones. There are medical malpractice suits in practically every field of medicine in every country. Don't be so quick to generalize...

fyi, India no longer uses the caste system.

yeah right :rolleyes:...not overtly anyway. their financial aid system is still based on it as well as other sectors within the Indian government which follow dubious caste criteria.

I remember something a little while ago about people going to do expensive procedures over in India. They do the surgery for cheap and also give you a vacation in india.

yeah right :rolleyes:...not overtly anyway. their financial aid system is still based on it as well as other sectors within the Indian government which follow dubious caste criteria.

It is affirmative action to level the playing field from the many years of oppression the lower class had. It is similar to affirmative action you see in the states.

I remember something a little while ago about people going to do expensive procedures over in India. They do the surgery for cheap and also give you a vacation in india.

:laugh: well considering every business in America has representatives working over there and trying to pretend their American with their American sounding names when they talk to you on thye phone, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

I think it is an absolutely terrible idea to get surgery done in a third world country. I read in my Human Infectious Diseases case book that in many third world countries, screening blood for things like HIV, Hepatitis C, etc. is cost prohibitive and therefore not done. I would really make sure you go to a reputable hospital if you seek to do surgery and inquire about their stocked blood.

When my grandmother had to undergo heart surgery, my uncle donated the blood.

I think it is an absolutely terrible idea to get surgery done in a third world country. I read in my Human Infectious Diseases case book that in many third world countries, screening blood for things like HIV, Hepatitis C, etc. is cost prohibitive and therefore not done. I would really make sure you go to a reputable hospital if you seek to do surgery and inquire about their stocked blood.

When my grandmother had to undergo heart surgery, my uncle donated the blood.

Yes, that is where people go. No way would somebody go to some quack doc to get a procedure like lasik done.

It is affirmative action to level the playing field from the many years of oppression the lower class had. It is similar to affirmative action you see in the states.

Yep... the ancient caste system has been condemned and abolished.... What now exists is a quota system for "forward caste" "middle caste" and "lower caste"... The designations are used to open up opportunities in jobs and education for the disadvantaged. They should stop using the word "caste" though.

Wow, what a tool.

Indian doctors are the best, they have an incredible reputation here for their patient care. And guess where the vast majority came from........INDIA.

Indian doctors are the best

Best at what? Sweeping generalizations like this one are just as bad as saying Indian doctors are the "worst."

Wow, what a tool.

Indian doctors are the best, they have an incredible reputation here for their patient care. And guess where the vast majority came from........INDIA.

You, sir, are wrong. Russia produces the BEST doctors!

No wait! I forgot Poland. Poland produces the BEST doctors!

Wow, what a tool.

Again, I say they ALSO TRAINED IN US RESIDENCY PROGRAMS. Race, creed, origin, etc. have nothing to do with it. Of course if you train in a country known for having some of the best medical advances with quality training and you work hard you'll be good.

A lot of doctors in india itself are not trained on equal grounds with the US. When posters like "Tired" or other former 4th year med students and current residents said statements like that I never took it to stride. But after going to India this summer and having had a couple bad experiences there and seeing the state of things I can see that they are not completely wrong everywhere.

Yes there are good physicians there too but many of them are not on equal par with US residency trained and licensed physicians.

I guess they don't have Indian superdoctors at Princeton :laugh:

We have professors of all colors of the rainbow... and ethnicities of the ethnic-rainbow.

We still get a lot of flak, though, for such superficial reasons. For example, our professors don't exactly have what you might call a "medical degree," or a "medical license." Boo-hoo.

Yep... the ancient caste system has been condemned and abolished.... What now exists is a quota system for "forward caste" "middle caste" and "lower caste"... The designations are used to open up opportunities in jobs and education for the disadvantaged. They should stop using the word "caste" though.

The system has nothing to do with money or opportunity, only caste. A lot of the crappiest doctors in India come because of this system, because they are given med school seats whatever their grades. When I mean whatever, I mean *whatever* their grades. Rich people of the right caste can even pay for their seats. These castes are not overall more poor, nor are they the minority or underrepresented.

After 200 years of British rule, all castes were already pretty much on an equal poverty level. Affirmative action was not needed. Even if it was, its time has passed and should be scrapped for a better system involving consideration for financial and access to education issues. The current system pervades not only med school admissions but also every single government institution, leading to incompetence and corruption at all levels of the government.

In America, the URM system is not affirmative action. It is a system to make sure that the ethnic and cultural composition of doctors better represent the population at large, so if you are Hispanic, you are more likely to get a Hispanic doctor who understands your language and culture, ways of thinking etc. Here the system is implemented correctly.

/end ramble.

And after all said and done, the guy that let a 15 year old cut someone open was an INDIAN DOCTOR. I am not prejudiced, but in my books, that is strike one against the indian medical system.

How can he be "world's youngest surgeon" if he hasn't even been to med school yet..and WHY would you alert the medical association that you allowed your 15 year old son to perform a surgery after going so far as to even let him perform it. They are so uptight with HIPAA about letting actual premed students even observe a surgery in the OR, how could you think it's ok to let some 15 year old actually do surgery, son of the surgeon or not.

And after all said and done, the guy that let a 15 year old cut someone open was an INDIAN DOCTOR. I am not prejudiced, but in my books, that is strike one against the indian medical system.

wtf, one man makes a wrong decision so you fault the whole system? :rolleyes:

So if an American person kills someone, all Americans are murderers?