17 on PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbpower

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After seeing so many good DAT scores here on SDN, I'm starting to worry about my 17 PAT. How does adcoms view a 17?? Is it considered low?? I actually considered retaking my DAT. I don't think my AA and science scores are that bad- 20/21. But then again, they're not super either. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on what your gpa is.

In order to retake the DAT, you need to wait 3 months. Now if you just took the exam recently you would have to wait until December/January. By that time you will already have an idea if you need to retake it according to the reponses you get from schools.

With a good GPA you will likely be accepted somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
It also depends on where is your first choice.

I suggest you call your first choice school and ask. But PAT cannot do that much damage like the AA or GPA

17 is not a bad score.
Depends on your AA, retake it if you have the time and confidence to get a much significant improvment.

Thanks for all your responses. My application should be sent out to the schools next week. Will wait and see!! Oh the stress and excitement!!
Regards.

I got a 16 on my PAT.

I have ten interview offers so far.

You have nothing to worry about.
/hasn't seen rest of your application

I got a 17 on the PAT the first time I took it and got a 22 Academic Average, 21 Science Average. It took me almost a year to decide if I should retake it again. My GPA is a 3.7, but my science GPA is about a 3.5. I called UCLA, which is probably my first choice school and talked to a bunch of people about what they thought I should do. Most people said that the 17 didn't mean that I was an automatic rejection, however, they said if I wanted to improve my chances of getting in, I probably should retake it again. So I studied really hard for about a month, and retook the DAT. I got a 20 on the PAT the second time around and my AA and Science Average both went up one point. I think the suggestion of contacting your first choice school and asking them what they think you should do is a good one. Good luck!