17 or 18 Year Old Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBSstalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what school he attended? He was so young that his parents were driving him to med school. He finished the first 2 years in 1 year. Anyone know about this? Just curious. I did research and all I find is someone young that graduated from a med school in Colorado. But, I think it was Ohio. It wasn't recent either.

Members don't see this ad.

part of me feels bad for the kid but wonder how he is doing now. never heard of this

University of Chicago. Had his MD/PhD by 21.

Members don't see this ad :)
part of me feels bad for the kid but wonder how he is doing now. never heard of this
Why? People in most countries around the world go into a 6 year MD starting at 18. Also, an American kid that makes it at this age is likely more mature and driven than your normal kid. Society needs to stop pushing the idea that everyone that's 18 needs to "party and have fun." Some people are simply not like that.

Reactions: 10 users
Why? People in most countries around the world go into a 6 year MD starting at 18. Also, an American kid that makes it at this age is likely more mature and driven than your normal kid. Society needs to stop pushing the idea that everyone that's 18 needs to "party and have fun." Some people are simply not like that.

i think you're reading between lines that don't exist. i'm not the party person. i was an RA for 3 years at a conservative catholic school which pretty much makes me antithetical of what you described. i loved it. that being said, of course he's not the average person, but i'd still think that a 17/18 year old would have a lot of soul searching/personal growth to do that med school may not allow really.

it's just my personal opinion, no need to get on a country-wide rant about it.

Reactions: 3 users
1995. Balamurali Ambati.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a 19 year old at our school for M1 and the year beforehand there was an 18 y.0 M1. Our med school is twice the size of most but I would imagine 17/18 isn't incredibly rare.

IIRC, a guy I went to school with was 17 when he started (was in the BS/MD program and finished the BS parts in 2 years). Actually was mature and level headed and a generally nice guy. Now in a neurosurg residency if I remember. A few of his classmates from that program seemed seriously not ready though.

an American kid that makes it at this age is likely more mature and driven than your normal kid.

"Driven" and "intelligent" sure, but "mature" is probably a stretch. I've made many a comment on the bizarre sight of the BS/MD applicants showing up on interview day to what is essentially a medical school interview wearing varsity letter jackets and with their parents following behind for the tour and reception.

Reactions: 1 user
i think you're reading between lines that don't exist. i'm not the party person. i was an RA for 3 years at a conservative catholic school which pretty much makes me antithetical of what you described. i loved it. that being said, of course he's not the average person, but i'd still think that a 17/18 year old would have a lot of soul searching/personal growth to do that med school may not allow really.

it's just my personal opinion, no need to get on a country-wide rant about it.
Why? Because you assume that he can't soul search and grow? Based on you never been to medical school? Again, this a) Not the average kid, and b) Most of the world does it this way. If you want to add a third element, it's that adults that are part of medical school education and clinical practice had to see his personal statement and interview him, yet they all believed he was equipped to handle it. The only objection here is you that assumes he's not ready based on his age alone. You have not even interacted with him at all.

Why? Because you assume that he can't soul search and grow? Based on you never been to medical school? Again, this a) Not the average kid, and b) Most of the world does it this way. If you want to add a third element, it's that adults that are part of medical school education and clinical practice had to see his personal statement and interview him, yet they all believed he was equipped to handle it. The only objection here is you that assumes he's not ready based on his age alone. You have not even interacted with him at all.

okay you're right. do you feel better now?

it's my opinion, sir. if you don't like it, i truly do not care.

a proper person enters into an argument to learn, you entered into it to push your agenda and showed a clear disinterest in truly wanting to know why i feel the way i do, apparent to me by the fact that you went off on a rant before i even had the chance to explain myself.

you're more than entitled to your opinion, and you're more than correct in saying that i didn't know any specifics about this case (hence why i said i had never heard of the guy in the first place), so all i could judge on is the things that were mentioned here. don't like my judgement based on a few words that were presented to me? that's not my problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my medical school, one student was 16-17 during MSI (it was suppose to be a "secret"), so I don't think this is too uncommon.

okay you're right. do you feel better now?

it's my opinion, sir. if you don't like it, i truly do not care.

a proper person enters into an argument to learn, you entered into it to push your agenda and showed a clear disinterest in truly wanting to know why i feel the way i do, apparent to me by the fact that you went off on a rant before i even had the chance to explain myself.

you're more than entitled to your opinion, and you're more than correct in saying that i didn't know any specifics about this case (hence why i said i had never heard of the guy in the first place), so all i could judge on is the things that were mentioned here. don't like my judgement based on a few words that were presented to me? that's not my problem.
Yes, very much.

Come on, I'm just trying to make a point here and asking you to reconsider your position. I'm not trying to win the internet. Don't get too mad over nothing. No harm intended.

Huh, title says 17/18 and OP's description never says 12 anywhere.

OP is likely mis-remembering. Sho Yano is probably who OP is thinking about; he's the most extreme version of child prodigy in medicine in the modern era. Entered U of Chicago at age 12, did an MD/PhD, now he's a child neurology resident. And he seems like a totally cool bro. Total package.

Interview with him:

Reactions: 3 users
I have always wondered what his family thinks of him and what he thinks of himself. All that early learning, rapid progression, but he doesn't seem to have matched his ability to learn with his ability to innovate. I feel like if I was a child prodigy and wasn't churning out cutting edge science after such a amazing start that I would have some serious self confidence issues at that point.

Everyone needs to stop hating on child prodigies, they are just people at the end of they day. Just because they don't develop some cure doesn't mean they wasted their talent. Not everyone is meant for research and a lot of discoveries require a great deal of luck and timing.

Reactions: 2 users
I never said they wasted their talent. My point is that people treat them likevsuper humans come to save us and most become ordinary folk. The point is the talent is probably overrated. Things like IQ tests lose meaning because is he really seven deviations smarter than average or is the metric inaccurate. I vote the alter since it was designed by we mere humans

There are probably posters on SDN right now that are 3-4 years ahead. They post in our threads, read our topics, then probably go off and put lithium metal in bathtubs or write metaphysical philosophical prose. OOOOoooOOOooo

I dunno, he's published two books apparently. Also, it's possible not all of his accomplishments are plastered over the web

I never said they wasted their talent. My point is that people treat them likevsuper humans come to save us and most become ordinary folk. The point is the talent is probably overrated. Things like IQ tests lose meaning because is he really seven deviations smarter than average or is the metric inaccurate. I vote the alter since it was designed by we mere humans

I dunno, he's published two books apparently. Also, it's possible not all of his accomplishments are plastered over the web
But his only research contribution in recent years has been a case report. It would depend on the content of the books I imagine but I have to assume they aren't based on his research exclusively.

But his only research contribution in recent years has been a case report. It would depend on the content of the books I imagine but I have to assume they aren't based on his research exclusively.

Honestly good for him.

Not everyone needs to jump head first into the academic medicine/research rat race.

Reactions: 2 users
How does one even convince a school to let them blow through the curriculum in 2 years?

OP is likely mis-remembering. Sho Yano is probably who OP is thinking about; he's the most extreme version of child prodigy in medicine in the modern era. Entered U of Chicago at age 12, did an MD/PhD, now he's a child neurology resident. And he seems like a totally cool bro. Total package.

Interview with him:

NO. I am not misremembering. I had contact recently with the doctor that told me this years ago. This was his classmate at the Ohio State College of Med.

Quit jacking my specialty's phrasing. You can't be a "bro" in adult neurology, much less kiddie neuro. Ortho, sometimes ENT, occassionally Neurosurg, once in a while Urology and Radiology, and very rarely Gen Surg. That's it.

Ya know, I keep hearing this but I've yet to see it at several different departments. My school's oto program is anything but bro.

How does one even convince a school to let them blow through the curriculum in 2 years?

Well, if the student is able to excel at the studies, there's no reason not to let the student graduate early and receive a degree. Shouldn't hold someone back, especially if they're more than capable of succeeding. If everything was so strict and tightly controlled, Yano (according to Wiki, he's 24-25) would only be 2 years into medical school right now. And the dude has been practicing medicine for 3 years now, and probably longer than that, if he didn't also get a PhD.

There was actually a thread a while back where a student was asking whether or not they should waste more time in undergrad or just go off to med school 9as they had the credits to do so) and the majority of posters encouraged him/her to spend his/her college days they same way they did: blackout drunk and probably carrying a curable STD.
I'll likely be 20 starting med school, and know a 19 year old who will start with me, the only people who show a massive maturity difference between 19 and 22 were incredibly immature beforehand. For everyone else, whenever you feel you're ready to go, just go.

Does anyone remember what school he attended? He was so young that his parents were driving him to med school. He finished the first 2 years in 1 year. Anyone know about this? Just curious. I did research and all I find is someone young that graduated from a med school in Colorado. But, I think it was Ohio. It wasn't recent either.

Seems really strange that a med school would let someone complete both pre-clinical years in a single year no matter how brilliant they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was actually a thread a while back where a student was asking whether or not they should waste more time in undergrad or just go off to med school 9as they had the credits to do so) and the majority of posters encouraged him/her to spend his/her college days they same way they did: blackout drunk and probably carrying a curable STD.
I'll likely be 20 starting med school, and know a 19 year old who will start with me, the only people who show a massive maturity difference between 19 and 22 were incredibly immature beforehand. For everyone else, whenever you feel you're ready to go, just go.

You come across as a little self-righteous.

Part of becoming more mature is realizing how little you actually know... gaining a diversity of perspectives and maybe a touch of humility for fun.

It's cool though, when I was 20 I knew everything too. ;)

I have always wondered what his family thinks of him and what he thinks of himself. All that early learning, rapid progression, but he doesn't seem to have matched his ability to learn with his ability to innovate. I feel like if I was a child prodigy and wasn't churning out cutting edge science after such a amazing start that I would have some serious self confidence issues at that point.

Interesting you should say that. He feels like he hasn't accomplished much either. From the Tribune: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20120603_1_yano-medical-degree-medical-team/2

"Yano insists there's no reason to think that his light will shine brighter than any of his classmates'. Asking if he's been contacted by NASA or a rarefied think tank trivializes the capabilities of his peers, he said.

"I'd love to make a great contribution. We'll just have to see where life takes me, but really, I haven't done anything yet.""

Well, if the student is able to excel at the studies, there's no reason not to let the student graduate early and receive a degree. Shouldn't hold someone back, especially if they're more than capable of succeeding. If everything was so strict and tightly controlled, Yano (according to Wiki, he's 24-25) would only be 2 years into medical school right now. And the dude has been practicing medicine for 3 years now, and probably longer than that, if he didn't also get a PhD.

I don't know why everyone is bringing up Yano. The kid was a first year in approximately the year 1995-1996. Also, he got only one question wrong on the usmle exam.

I don't know why everyone is bringing up Yano. The kid was a first year in approximately the year 1995-1996. Also, he got only one question wrong on the usmle exam.

That's not how the usmle works

That's not how the usmle works

hqdefault.jpg

lol they don't tell you how many questions you miss though.

Because you seem to be conflating a lot of urban legends about boy wonder geniuses a la doogie howser.

"His parents had to drive him to school"

"He finished the first two years in 1 year"

"He only missed one question on step 1"

"He's 7 feet tall and shoots lightning out his arse"

So we've pointed you in the direction of the two most publicly visible child prodigy types of the past decade or two.

Actually, I think he missed one question on the board certification examination. Not conflating anything here. There is no reason to. I was just told it was a kid studying medicine in Ohio. He was a first year at 17. I know I brought this up. But you really went wacko on this. Take your outrageous statements and get lost!

Last edited:
Quit jacking my specialty's phrasing. You can't be a "bro" in adult neurology, much less kiddie neuro. Ortho, sometimes ENT, occassionally Neurosurg, once in a while Urology and Radiology, and very rarely Gen Surg. That's it.

Wait, is making dick jokes a bro thing to do? Because urologists have that **** down.

I don't get to chill with them very often, do they make a lot of penis jokes? I almost would have guessed that they didn't. I don't recall the Ob/GYN folks making many genitalia jokes, I just assumed Uro would be the same way.

lol no uro people are pretty chill

lol by far the chillest attending I've worked with was a urologist. swagged out with awesome stories for days

But at the same time being young can limit you. A friend of mine finished college in 3 years and was applying to medical school at 20, would matriculate at 21. His dream program waitlisted him, and when he asked for feedback they told him they wanted someone with more life experience and that 20 was just too young, and otherwise he was an excellent candidate (he was).
He did get in elsewhere, but not his dream because he was young.

But at the same time being young can limit you. A friend of mine finished college in 3 years and was applying to medical school at 20, would matriculate at 21. His dream program waitlisted him, and when he asked for feedback they told him they wanted someone with more life experience and that 20 was just too young, and otherwise he was an excellent candidate (he was).

That's a really stupid reason

I agree. We get some posts on the age vs maturity debate in the Nontrad forum and I think it's important to remember that age doesn't equal maturity. Life experience has a lot to do with it and some people get a lot more life experience in a smaller amount of time. It's a very, very individual thing. I've worked with 19-20 year olds who are more mature than some of the 50 year olds I work with. :shrug:

Anyway, I have heard of other 17 year olds in med school that aren't really publicized. So it definitely happens.

Random story: a couple years ago we walked into the OR and saw a penectomy posted. My staff hunted down the attending Urologist to ask her what the hell she was doing that for. Turned out it was cancer, so he said, "Well, I guess that's okay then," and went back to his room. Delayed our start by 10 minutes.

cool story bro

It happens. I heard of a kid who couldn't get into MD schools he applied to so he matriculated DO at 18. He said everywhere he went the first question he got was regarding his age and how he expects to prove his maturity.

I was an unusually young applicant, and if my interviewers noticed, they asked me about it - how do I know this is what I want to do, how can I show them I'm mature, etc. etc. It was a little annoying, but I can understand why they were asking. It came up in just about every interview, one way or another.
It was kind of funny, though - my birth date was on the first page of my application, and my brother's age was on the second (because of AMCAS formatting and whatever). He's a few years older than me, so he would have been right around the average age for a med school applicant. One of my interviewers said, "Oh, so you're twins, right?" and I said, "No, he's older," figuring he'd maybe check the birth date. He then said, "Well, you must be very close in age, right?" and I said, "Well, he's 3 years older than me, so I suppose so," and then he finally realized how old I was, and proceeded to ask questions about that. :p

Random story: a couple years ago we walked into the OR and saw a penectomy posted. My staff hunted down the attending Urologist to ask her what the hell she was doing that for. Turned out it was cancer, so he said, "Well, I guess that's okay then," and went back to his room. Delayed our start by 10 minutes.

CSB time:

I was finishing up a case on my Gen Surg rotation back at the end of my clinical rotations. The attending had left and the residents were closing up. In walk two of the Uro-Bros saying "hey, guess what we just had to do? This dude had penile cancer, so we just had to do a 'vaginaplasty'." They spent the next 15 minutes cracking jokes and gigling at the word "vaginaplasty" like it was the funniest thing they'd ever heard.

As someone with a urologist in the family I've learned that Uro has heard every single dick joke in the book. They also find every dick joke in the book to be...totally...hilarious. It's like hanging out with a bunch of 12 year olds at summer camp.