$1749 dollar Kaplan Online Course...worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I ran across the $1749 kaplan online course and I've very skeptical...I could just as easily spend MUCH less money on 2 large prep books and buy all of the AAMC tests for under 500 dollars. What magical difference could this expensive online course possibly make? Would you recommend it for someone who is already organized with their studying and has the work ethic to study enough on his own? On top of all that I've heard the Kaplan tests don't even represent the actual tests well at all!

Members don't see this ad.

The only reason I'd go for the online course is the wealth of practice material. You literally have access to thousands of questions, plus, you have all the Kaplan FLs and AAMC FLs. I thought Kaplan 1-6 were fairly close to my actual test. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they were more accurate then the AAMC. I think the general opinion is that Kaplan 1-6 are good, but the others not so much.

The schedule it sets up is nice, but not needed in your case (since you mentioned you're good in this area).

Outside of the practice material, the online course won't be too helpful. In other words, the content review is decent, yet you can do better.

Utlimately, if you want a ton of practice material, then the online course is worth it. Fortunately, you can get by without spending that much money on a course.

The only reason I'd go for the online course is the wealth of practice material. You literally have access to thousands of questions, plus, you have all the Kaplan FLs and AAMC FLs. I thought Kaplan 1-6 were fairly close to my actual test. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they were more accurate then the AAMC. I think the general opinion is that Kaplan 1-6 are good, but the others not so much.

The schedule it sets up is nice, but not needed in your case (since you mentioned you're good in this area).

Outside of the practice material, the online course won't be too helpful. In other words, the content review is decent, yet you can do better.

Utlimately, if you want a ton of practice material, then the online course is worth it. Fortunately, you can get by without spending that much money on a course.

Thanks- this is just what I thought. I spent 75 on the Kaplan review book which I'm using now..then I'm planning on getting the exam crackers set as well as their extra verbal tests. The AAMC tests are great too.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually I ran into this problem myself

my PR course got canned b/c I was the only one registered. There are no other courses in the area for the April 4th exam and I have no real interest in taking the Kaplan course since I have all their materials already.

PR doesnt have an online course. Instead theyve got this massive 5000 dollar online thing thats like private tutoring.. way too much. Anyone know why PR doesnt have a compatable online classroom course around 16-1800 dollars?

Anyways I thought the Kaplan Online thing seemed good. A solid three month near-infinite supply of problems and statistics to show you the strengths and weaknesses? I think it seems worthwhile.. let us know what you end up doing.

So I ran across the $1749 kaplan online course and I've very skeptical...I could just as easily spend MUCH less money on 2 large prep books and buy all of the AAMC tests for under 500 dollars. What magical difference could this expensive online course possibly make? Would you recommend it for someone who is already organized with their studying and has the work ethic to study enough on his own? On top of all that I've heard the Kaplan tests don't even represent the actual tests well at all!

The way I see it is that after a while, whether the passages are on computer or printed on paper, it's all the same. We spend so many hours on computer and there are enough on line CBTs around that you can get used to taking an on line exam without their course.

You'd think that Kaplan should be charging a lot less money than that because they don't have to print very much and they don't have to pay teachers. I find it crazy that their on-line class is $250 more than what I paid for a class with live teachers and live office hours. I don't see why an on-line course would be worth anything more than about $500 at the most.

it is a rip off forget it... ill manage without, but my parents will prob force me into some kind of course at any rate, sigh.

Don't bother with the prep courses, online or otherwise. They are a huge waste of money. Take that money, and for a fraction, buy some solid review books and plenty of practice tests. There is absolutely nothing covered in class you can't learn on your own.

I think the only benefit is the fact that you have other people in the same position - were all kind of suffering together.

Timed tests are good to have too, and its regularly and I have homework to do... its just a push... but yes it is a waste of money if you can figure out a schedule for yourself. Sticking to that is tough when you are out of college and have no other like minded people nearby.
Bummed but positive.

I'm currently taking the online course. I would definitely consider it worth the money. The best advice I can give you is that you MUST make sure you'll have enough time to dedicate to it. You may think you have enough time, but you'd be surprised how little time you're left with after school and ECs. All that practice material is useless unless you make time to use it all

I wouldnt say it was a waste of money. Im enrolled in it right now. The amount of tests and practice is unreal. I have done 5 full lengths and have reviewed them and i love it. Whats great is that kaplan clarifies what you have to worry about bieng on the exam and what you probobly WONT see on the exam. since there is so much material on the test, its good to somehow clarify what you will and will not see on the exam. I found that to be the most helpfull part. That along with all the practice makes the course worth it IMO. 22 practice mcats....cant beat that along with the materials and the online workshops and video's.:thumbup:

I did the Kaplan online course before taking the MCAT last January and I thought it was awesome. I improved my score 13 points from the diagnostic to test day using pretty much solely this course. Doing everything online really prepares you for what it will be like on exam day and the 1000s of practice questions were great. I would agree with others though that the verbal is where Kaplan is weak, so if you need a lot of work in this area I would recommend buying a supplementary book or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the advice! I decided to not take the course since I am really organized and dedicated on my own. I went out and bought..

-The big Kaplan review book
-The ExamKrackers complete set
-ExamKrackers extra passages in VR
-All AAMC tests

Probably will buy more practice tests from EK

i questioned this one for a while too but ended up deciding to take the class and right now im retaking it..but dont go to class..just use the online material..even though it is a lot of money..for me..i wanted to make sure that if i could I did everything to prepare myself and since a lot of people recommended the classes i took it. i think its worth it for the peace of mind..and also..i decided to pay the alum fee of 500 for kaplan because i think they have a lot of practice materials and you get access to all of the aamc tests..in the end though its your call!

Im doing TPR this Feburary and I signed up mainly for 1. re-focused material review 2. practice tests 3. other human beings doing the same thing as me and 4. so i can sleep at night knowing this is me doing my best.

Otherwise the online course, as appealing as it sounds, wouldnt get me the human interactions and I kind of NEED it, being out of school and all... and it would eliminate the classroom setting which would also help me.

I'm also sick of doing this on my own and could def use a motivator like a schedule and having to go to class, ect. Not weak minded, just weakly motivated ;O)

Thanks for all the advice! I decided to not take the course since I am really organized and dedicated on my own. I went out and bought..

-The big Kaplan review book
-The ExamKrackers complete set
-ExamKrackers extra passages in VR
-All AAMC tests

Probably will buy more practice tests from EK

EK's practice tests are considered to be by far the worst. If you're using them as practice problems, they're okay. Just don't use them as practice FLs.

This really depends on the particular person...if you are very dedicated/motivated and do not have a problem forcing yourself to sit down for hours on end, then by all means forget the course. It would only slow you down in my opinion. On the other hand, if you just can't push yourself to put in the time, the courses will "force" you to do so.

EK's practice tests are considered to be by far the worst. If you're using them as practice problems, they're okay. Just don't use them as practice FLs.

Thx- I have 1 that came with the study set so I will see how it is

Someone else told me they're the 2nd best to AAMC while Kaplan is by far the worst : | You find EK too easy or something? Just wondering

As for practice test's I didn't find Kaplan to be horrible..although their VR was too easy.

For Kaplan I got: PS 11, VR 13, BS 13

AAMC 4: PS 11, VR 11, BS 14

Go figure, I don't know what to think :| lol!!

This really depends on the particular person...if you are very dedicated/motivated and do not have a problem forcing yourself to sit down for hours on end, then by all means forget the course. It would only slow you down in my opinion. On the other hand, if you just can't push yourself to put in the time, the courses will "force" you to do so.

Yeah- true. My examkrackers set came today and I really like it so far! I just like how it's set up...makes it so I can study without getting bored. So far I'm doing..

Bio: EK, Kaplan, Campbell biology
Gen Chem: Silburberg Gen Chem (LOVE this book), EK, Kap
Physics: My textbook for now...EK later and BR (if I need it..)
Orgo: Primarily EK..I know it pretty good and I'll use my text too
VR: EK books

I know I might seem kinda crazy for using text books to study..but I have 6 months to go and I'm really familiar with the books...so I can go through them really easily to review. Kinda happy I'm saving 1750 dollars though LOL!

Physics is my weakest, and I mean WEAKEST section across the board. I just dont do well on the section and so I am actually using my textbooks to suppliment the EK book. Textbooks are more in depth and I use it for random topics and it makes it a little less daunting since I have covered a specific topic in detail.

Do this for whatever topics in whatever subject you arnt doing too hot in. It works to have your EK stuff out, and your TB near for the moment you arnt sure of a topic.

I don't know if its worth the money, but if you have the money you might as well pay it. The class itself isn't that great, but the practice stuff online is really good. It offers more material than most people can finish in a lifetime, let alone a few months before their MCAT. I would recommend it if you have money, but if you cannot afford it, don't worry about it. If you study really hard w/o the need to be pushed...you'll be fine.

Physics is my weakest, and I mean WEAKEST section across the board. I just dont do well on the section and so I am actually using my textbooks to suppliment the EK book. Textbooks are more in depth and I use it for random topics and it makes it a little less daunting since I have covered a specific topic in detail.

Do this for whatever topics in whatever subject you arnt doing too hot in. It works to have your EK stuff out, and your TB near for the moment you arnt sure of a topic.

Yeah thats a great plan. That's what I'm doing lately with physics too

i cannot figure out for the life of me what is wrong... but physics i think just mentally causes me to seize up.. I guess I cant complain b/c I am decently adept at biology and organic chemistry but I SUCK at physics and pretty much inorganic chem. That makes the PS section a nightmare for me. Why am I good at one and not the other?

Does the fact that this section has actual numbers and calculations make it easier for some and not others?

I think I just dont 'get it' relationship wise, like I do with orgo. Questions with formulas are one thing but I cannot for the life of me answer conceptual questions in physics. Sigh