17AA to a 23 AA (Retake 8-18-14)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matardug

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so here is my comeback story!

My background:

I went to a large private university and majored in biology. I took the DAT last year and scored a 17 AA (awful I know) with not one score above 20. I thought I worked hard, but the materials I had were not good in my opinion. I used Kaplan, Bootcamp, and Crack DAT PAT, bad decisions.

This time around I did my research on the materials that I should use thanks to people on SDN that posted their scores. I used Destroyer, Kaplan, Cliffs, Crack DAT PAT, and Math Destroyer

Here are my scores

PAT-21

QR-21

RC-20

BIO-28

GC-23

OC-23

TS-25

AA-23

Materials used rankings

Destroyer (10/10)

haha no but seriously, this book lives up to its hype and its not overkill (as some people say on SDN) by any means. I don’t understand why some people on here bash this book. It is an amazing resource when used correctly.

KBB (6/10)

I didn’t really find this book helpful other than gaining basic concepts on the DAT, its nice to go over one time in my opinion. I did however find it helpful (and accurate) in the PAT section so for the PAT section it gets a (8/10).

Cliffs (7/10)

This book is very dense and very detailed. I found it pretty hard to understand but I went through it once and found it helpful. Plus its not expensive, I would say its worth it.

Crack DAT PAT (5/10)

Personally I think you should save your money and not buy this product because I don’t believe that it accurately portrays the test. It’s a little pricey and they don’t give very good explanations to the answers. Kaplan was definitely a better representation of the test.

Math Destroyer (10/10)

Know the formulas and the types of questions used in this book and you’re golden.

Section Breakdown

PAT-21

I mostly used Kaplan because I didn’t like Crack DAT PAT, I did fine. Angles were a little tough (I always struggled with those) but the strategy I used was to skip to the angles, (Q30) and then do the test from there. Believe me you wont feel as time constrained doing it this way.

QR-21

Was a little nervous about this section. I wrote down like a million formulas from the Math Destroyer and finished with 2 mins. remaining. Math Destroyer is key in this section as I saw a ton of the same type questions.

RC-20

So it’s my lowest score, I’m not too upset as I didn’t even study this section. I used the search and destroy method and was happy with my score.

BIO-28

This is the section that I studied most. Destroyer is absolutely KEY in this section. When I said use correctly above ^^^ I mean a lot of the answers are all of the above, but you need to understand every single one of the statements. Every single one of my questions on the exam was covered in the book in one way or another. I went through the bio section of the destroyer 7-8 times thoroughly. Do this and it will pay off.

GC-23

Once again, just use the destroyer; it has examples of everything covered on the exam in one way, or another. Know the formulas used and when to use them. Know every concept in this book and you will be golden.

OC-23

Did I say it enough times? Get. The. Destroyer. (if you want to do well) The roadmaps in this book are AMAZING. I’m pretty sure there is “Orgoman” on the front of the book for a reason. If only I had this book when I was taking undergrad orgo. Know the roadmaps, know the concepts, and know this book and you will beat the science section of the DAT.

Summary:

So I went from a 17AA to a 23AA by using better materials and working my butt off for about 2.5 months. There is no substitution for hard work. I loved having SDN to give me encouragement about other comeback stories. I hope that I inspire others who have done poorly, to ace the DAT the next time.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT SCORES!.jpg
    DAT SCORES!.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 354
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my apps in June....just waited for my DAT score to be uploaded after I took it

thats really impressive to jump from a 20 to 28 on bio . I should probably stick to destroyer and do it like 7,8 times .
Im really glad I saw your breakdown. great job

Thank you, I worked extremely hard to get to where I am now. Honest to god if you know the information that is in destroyer you'll do fine. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, I worked extremely hard to get to where I am now. Honest to god if you know the information that is in destroyer you'll do fine. Good luck to you!
sorry to bother you again, I just have a really quick question. my bio foundation is horrible and I was studying from MCAT prinston review which explains everything very clearly and I believe its detailed enough. However, I'm doing really poor on destroyer bio section. Should I keep on doing the tests or should I start reading AP bio or something else? Or should I do both ( reading 1 chapter of AP bio and doing 50 bio questions daily ) even though I get most of them wrong and learn from them?

No problem! Please feel free to ask me anything, very happy to help. If you are struggling with bio foundations I would highly recommend going through campbells biology textbook and then go back through DAT Destroyer to make sure you feel strong. Even Kaplan AP review notes aren't too bad....anything else, I believe you are wasting your time. Destroyer is hard, but so is the DAT....if you get a lot wrong, don't get discouraged. It is a great learning tool to gauge what you know about the sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have campbells for biology, but I only used it when I needed a lotttt of help from a subject. I think its a great resource as its the book I used for BIO 1 and 2 in undergrad.

Is there a chance i got the wrong Kaplan blue book? because the one I have ((2015 edition bought from amazon)) has got 15 super easy questions for every section of the PAT and that is it!!!!! CDP is much more challenging

congrats on your scores btw :))

Im pretty sure Kaplan had more PAT questions than that with their tests.....I used CDP too, thought it was just okay. I was pretty good at PAT though from the start....

I have campbells for biology, but I only used it when I needed a lotttt of help from a subject. I think its a great resource as its the book I used for BIO 1 and 2 in undergrad.

What edition biology campbell do you have? I have a global version and unfortunately, I keep hearing my version has more information than regular ones.

can you post any other of the comeback story breakdowns you have seen? Yours is the only one I've seen so far and I need some motivation haha

Sorry it took me so long to respond! I didn't see your post. I will go looking for some more comeback stories and try to post them on here.

You got this @510586. Ive been there, study harder than ever before and you can do well. It is definitely a beatable test :)

Sorry it took me so long to respond! I didn't see your post. I will go looking for some more comeback stories and try to post them on here.

You got this @510586. Ive been there, study harder than ever before and you can do well. It is definitely a beatable test :)
Thanks a bunch!

What is the search and destroy method that you were talking about for the RC section?

Alright so here is my comeback story!

My background:

I went to a large private university and majored in biology. I took the DAT last year and scored a 17 AA (awful I know) with not one score above 20. I thought I worked hard, but the materials I had were not good in my opinion. I used Kaplan, Bootcamp, and Crack DAT PAT, bad decisions.

This time around I did my research on the materials that I should use thanks to people on SDN that posted their scores. I used Destroyer, Kaplan, Cliffs, Crack DAT PAT, and Math Destroyer

Here are my scores

PAT-21

QR-21

RC-20

BIO-28

GC-23

OC-23

TS-25

AA-23

Materials used rankings

Destroyer (10/10)

haha no but seriously, this book lives up to its hype and its not overkill (as some people say on SDN) by any means. I don’t understand why some people on here bash this book. It is an amazing resource when used correctly.

KBB (6/10)

I didn’t really find this book helpful other than gaining basic concepts on the DAT, its nice to go over one time in my opinion. I did however find it helpful (and accurate) in the PAT section so for the PAT section it gets a (8/10).

Cliffs (7/10)

This book is very dense and very detailed. I found it pretty hard to understand but I went through it once and found it helpful. Plus its not expensive, I would say its worth it.

Crack DAT PAT (5/10)

Personally I think you should save your money and not buy this product because I don’t believe that it accurately portrays the test. It’s a little pricey and they don’t give very good explanations to the answers. Kaplan was definitely a better representation of the test.

Math Destroyer (10/10)

Know the formulas and the types of questions used in this book and you’re golden.

Section Breakdown

PAT-21

I mostly used Kaplan because I didn’t like Crack DAT PAT, I did fine. Angles were a little tough (I always struggled with those) but the strategy I used was to skip to the angles, (Q30) and then do the test from there. Believe me you wont feel as time constrained doing it this way.

QR-21

Was a little nervous about this section. I wrote down like a million formulas from the Math Destroyer and finished with 2 mins. remaining. Math Destroyer is key in this section as I saw a ton of the same type questions.

RC-20

So it’s my lowest score, I’m not too upset as I didn’t even study this section. I used the search and destroy method and was happy with my score.

BIO-28

This is the section that I studied most. Destroyer is absolutely KEY in this section. When I said use correctly above ^^^ I mean a lot of the answers are all of the above, but you need to understand every single one of the statements. Every single one of my questions on the exam was covered in the book in one way or another. I went through the bio section of the destroyer 7-8 times thoroughly. Do this and it will pay off.

GC-23

Once again, just use the destroyer; it has examples of everything covered on the exam in one way, or another. Know the formulas used and when to use them. Know every concept in this book and you will be golden.

OC-23

Did I say it enough times? Get. The. Destroyer. (if you want to do well) The roadmaps in this book are AMAZING. I’m pretty sure there is “Orgoman” on the front of the book for a reason. If only I had this book when I was taking undergrad orgo. Know the roadmaps, know the concepts, and know this book and you will beat the science section of the DAT.

Summary:

So I went from a 17AA to a 23AA by using better materials and working my butt off for about 2.5 months. There is no substitution for hard work. I loved having SDN to give me encouragement about other comeback stories. I hope that I inspire others who have done poorly, to ace the DAT the next time.